Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
This problem has been annoying me ever since I got this iPod Touch. I hate iTunes, but I have no choice to use it for copying songs to my iPod.

There are certain songs I copy to the Touch which will successfully transfer over via USB. They can be found on the iPod in iTunes no problem. However when I look at artists/songs/albums/genre on the iPod they are nowhere to be found.

BUT, they can be found by searching using music search or general search.

This makes no sense? They are all tagged properly like the rest of my music. :confused:

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I manually sync my songs.

9382565648_c000e6c287_z.jpg

9382562686_d29e12843a_z.jpg

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
Are these songs downloaded from a source other than iTunes? I don't care about the legal aspect, but it may have missing/incorrect metadata that's causing it to be misfiled on the iPod. In iTunes, select the song/album in question and File->Get Info. You can manually edit metadata there.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Already check compilations.

My music is CD rips. I am very picky about everything having the right id3 tags, metadata, and high quality album art. Foobar is my main music player and it's super organized.

Hard reset did not fix the problem.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Already check compilations.

My music is CD rips. I am very picky about everything having the right id3 tags, metadata, and high quality album art. Foobar is my main music player and it's super organized.

Hard reset did not fix the problem.

On a side note about the song info, I I use TuneUp media and it works great if you have a real copy a cd or iTunes because it may think it is a different song. I am the same way as you with my music collection.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
On a side note about the song info, I I use TuneUp media and it works great if you have a real copy a cd or iTunes because it may think it is a different song. I am the same way as you with my music collection.
I do everything manually I don't trust automatic programs.

I was using iTunes for a while on one computer and what a disaster. I think it was iTunes 9 or 10 as it was about 2 years ago. It tagged files incorrectly all the time using 'Get Info.' Seems like they fixed it in the new version.

Anyone else got an idea?

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
iPod Touch 5G? I never had this problem before but I'll ensure that the iDv3 data; where you put your information like Artists, Song, Album, Year are in order but I can see that you did it right, otherwise it wouldn't show up under Artist, Albums, etc. Have you tried using a third party software there's this one program I love and trust called mp3tag (it's free), give it a try and see if it fixes your problem.

On a side-note (hope you don't mind) whenever I make a playlist and add songs to my playlist I always get double or triple copy of the song, example if I copy:

Beyonce - Single Ladies to a playlist named "Dance"

Instead of copying only one, my iPod would make duplicates sometimes up to 4 copies, I am making playlist via iPod not iTunes anyone has this problem?

This problem has been annoying me ever since I got this iPod Touch. I hate iTunes, but I have no choice to use it for copying songs to my iPod.

There are certain songs I copy to the Touch which will successfully transfer over via USB. They can be found on the iPod in iTunes no problem. However when I look at artists/songs/albums/genre on the iPod they are nowhere to be found.

BUT, they can be found by searching using music search or general search.

This makes no sense? They are all tagged properly like the rest of my music. :confused:

If I read you right, this is a problem I've had lately. Not sure how long it's been going on, though. The solution I've found to work for me is:

1) select all tracks affected.
2) right click and select "create playlist from selected tracks"
3) go to the new playlist, select all and uncheck all
4) sync device
5) recheck files in playlist then sync again
6) verify in device

Last edited:
Reactions: Tser Htoo

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
No problem ask your questions, hopefully someone here can help. I have never had that problem.

It's an iPod 4g.

I also notice my playlists are randomly getting deleted. They don't appear in iTunes when I make them on the iPod. Then they just disappear from the iPod.

Of I read you right, this is a problem I've had lately. Not sure how long it's been going on, though. The solution I've found to work for me is:

4) sync device
6) verify in device
This worked. Well it worked as in it made a playlist and I can see the songs.

They still do not show up in the artist or genre tab, but they do in songs and albums. :confused:

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Still have not resolved this issue.

Now a new issue appears...

I added new songs by a different artist to the iPod touch.

Two artists that were on on the iPod and visible before have now disappeared. Now I can only find them by doing a search. I cannot find them artists and also the specific genre tab says 'No Music.'

What the heck is wrong with this iPod Touch? Never did I have this problem with my Nano, Mini, or Classic.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
re: your original problem.....
Is "Group By Album Artist" turned on in settings?
Any chance that your Artist metadata is correct but your Album Artist metadata is wrong or missing?

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
re: your original problem.....
Is "Group By Album Artist" turned on in settings?
Any chance that your Artist metadata is correct but your Album Artist metadata is wrong or missing?
Yes Group By Album Artist was turned on. I turned it off and now the songs show. Thanks.

None of my metadata is incorrect I made sure.

It doesn't make any sense though that the music originally showed up... then when I added different artists, old music would disappear and could only be found by searching.

Tser Htoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Of I read you right, this is a problem I've had lately. Not sure how long it's been going on, though. The solution I've found to work for me is:

4) sync device
6) verify in device

Thank you so much. It is worked for me.

Reactions: IronWaffle

KingUncaged

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Are these songs downloaded from a source other than iTunes? I don't care about the legal aspect, but it may have missing/incorrect metadata that's causing it to be misfiled on the iPod. In iTunes, select the song/album in question and File->Get Info. You can manually edit metadata there.

Hey Thraun

Over the weekend i was adding new songs, which sync as soon as i drag the song onto ipod touch 6th gen but now

All my songs have gone missing. The names of my playlist are still there, when i turn my wifi on the songs show up but are light grey and wont allow me to play the songs on the device, im speculative of erasing it and starting again as the songs appear still on the device.

I went onto itunes and clicked my 'My Device' the songs have a circle with an exclamation mark inside, i went to file location, the songs were from my previous computer and always allowed me to update ipod. When i update it just says loading but none of the songs come up on ipod.

If anyone has had this issue, please share thoughts ....

Josh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.