Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelica314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm looking for an iphone 5 on craigslist and a few that I'm interested in say they are factory unlocked. This is super important because I need it to work with T-Mobile. How can I know? Anything else I should be aware of when buying a phone from someone?

Thank you all very much!

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
Not really a good way to tell if its unlocked or not but if it happens to be locked you can always use a service that will unlock it for you or you might get T-Mobile to unlock it for you.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi everyone. I'm looking for an iphone 5 on craigslist and a few that I'm interested in say they are factory unlocked. This is super important because I need it to work with T-Mobile. How can I know? Anything else I should be aware of when buying a phone from someone?

Thank you all very much!

Just put in your SIM card to see if it is.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
What's a non att SIM? Not from At&t?

Thanks everyone

Yep. Also you can restore the phone in iTunes, and when it's finished, it will show a screen telling you that it's unlocked (just once).

If you get the unlocked phone replaced from the Apple store for some reason, make sure to tell the Apple store employee that it's unlocked. Then about 24 hours after it's replaced, it should be unlocked and ready to accept any SIM. It may not show the unlocked screen in iTunes but you can check by using a non-AT&T SIM.

futurefortress

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
Yep. Also you can restore the phone in iTunes, and when it's finished, it will show a screen telling you that it's unlocked (just once).

If you get the unlocked phone replaced from the Apple store for some reason, make sure to tell the Apple store employee that it's unlocked. Then about 24 hours after it's replaced, it should be unlocked and ready to accept any SIM. It may not show the unlocked screen in iTunes but you can check by using a non-AT&T SIM.

If you restore a factory unlocked iPhone, it doesn't show that message in iTunes at all. It comes pre-unlocked. Also- the Apple Store replaces factory unlocked iPhones with factory unlocked iPhones.. there's no waiting period to determine if it's unlocked or not..

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Look at the model number. From the factory unlocked phones have a different prefix. Mine starts with MD which is a 4S unlocked.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
If you can get its IMEI number you can use this site (http://www.iphoneox.com/) to check lock status for free. Just make sure to enter the full IMEI number without any spaces.

angelica314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
If you can get its IMEI number you can use this site (http://www.iphoneox.com/) to check lock status for free. Just make sure to enter the full IMEI number without any spaces.

Where would I get this number?

I'm probably going to buy the sim card from t-mobile and take it with me when I go see the phone and I'll be able to check it right there.

Thank you all, your help is appreciated :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Best thing would be to bring a Tmobile nanosim.
Anyone can give you another iphones unlocked imei over email or over the phone.
If it doesn't work and doesn't make calls with your tmobile sim then give the phone back and walk away.
Too many scams out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.