Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I thought I would get some opinions from fellow users on what sports car they feel is the best, or which one they like the most. I do have some heavily modified old school and new school muscle cars ( the two being a 69 Camaro, and the newer muscle car being a modified Mercury Marauder ), and I've owned sports cars for a long time to, I've had an S2000, Boxster, Mitata, and I had a very nice 1988 911 for some time.

However two years ago I purchased my first really high end sports car, I bought a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport 4LTE, sticker price was about 65,000, went down to about 52,000 after I haggled a little bit and traded in my S2000 for it.

And I did try the Z06, but its just not as good as an every day car, and also wasn't worth the extra 15 grand in my opinion.

I looooooveeeee my Corvette, it has a very nice hand stitched leather interior with a little carbon fiber thrown in, has a smooth shifting, short throw 6 speed transmission, which just feels so tight and is a joy to shift. I've got a 6.2 liter 430 horsepower V8, which is probably making a little more, as I've had a new tune down, and put a more open exhaust and new intake on it. Probably making around 460ish with that.

And I love the 6.2 Liter V8, its physically very small, and no its not a physically complicated V8 double overhead cam supercharged engine like you would see in my Mercury Marauder or most European cars. But it still makes a TON of power, sounds great, gets good MPG, and is just a rock solid great engine. And it has one thing that lots of European engines don't have, a great sound.

Its got all the power you'd ever need, I love how its comfy, quiet, greats great MPG, isn't so low that it can't go over bumps. And the noise! It sounds great!

I also love how I can drive down to my local track, music blasting, AC blasting, being comfy, go to a track day, piss on 911s and Audis, and drive home again no problem, all while being rock solid reliable, the handling is pretty stunning.

I mean at 65,000? Why would you buy anything else?

So its my favorite sports car and probably the best car I've bought to date.

Whats your favorite sports car and why?

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Nissan GTR. That thing is just awesome especially for the price. Even if I had Ferrari money I'd get a GTR.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Nissan GTR. That thing is just awesome especially for the price. Even if I had Ferrari money I'd get a GTR.

Same.

Love the GTR, actually test drove one. And while it was a sweet car, fast, powerful, quiet. It just really wasn't what I was looking for with its AWD, I really wanted a RWD sports car.

I think its also really great value for the money, much like the Corvette.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The one I own....

2007 BMW M Roadster

DOHC Straight 6
343 HP
0-60 MPH in between 4.8-5.0 seconds...depending on who is doing the testing.
Top End: 155 MPH (Electronically Limited)
Mileage: DON'T ASK!

It's a beast, and I love it.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The one I own....

2007 BMW M Roadster

DOHC Straight 6
343 HP
0-60 MPH in between 4.8-5.0 seconds...depending on who is doing the testing.
Top End: 155 MPH (Electronically Limited)
Mileage: DON'T ASK!

It's a beast, and I love it.

I love those roadsters, they look great, sound great. And aren't underwhelming like most BMWs.

Your 155mph limit is just fine ;). My Corvette can do about 190. But I would never dream of taking it anywhere near that on a public road :cool:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Oh yeah, gotta give a shoutout to the Audi R8 too. It's on the more expensive side since it's an Audi but it's understated, reliable, and of course very fast :D

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The new Corvette Stingray. Just pure awesomeness.

The GT-R is good too, but I don't see it as a drivers car. The computers do most of the work. It's an amazing piece of engineering though. Where the Corvette even though it has computers too, still engages the driver and the driver can turn the computers off.

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The new Corvette Stingray. Just pure awesomeness.

YouTube: video

The GT-R is good too, but I don't see it as a drivers car. The computers do most of the work. It's an amazing piece of engineering though. Where the Corvette even though it has computers too, but the driver can turn them off, but even with them on it still engages the driver.

Don't tempt me to trade in my 2012 Grand Sport ;)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Don't tempt me to trade in my 2012 Grand Sport ;)

You should. I'm betting the new Stingray will be one of the collectable 'Vette's. It makes the C6 look like the biggest POS. :D

Like the person said about having Ferrari money, but would still buy the GT-R, same thing with the 'Vette. There is just something special about the Stingray. I would sooner spend the money on the Stingray Z06 than a more expensive Porsche, Ferrari, etc.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
You should. I'm betting the new Stingray will be one of the collectable 'Vette's. It makes the C6 look like the biggest POS. :D

Not this year, maybe next summer I'll do a trade. I really like my C6. But I'll eventually get a C7.

----------

Like the person said about having Ferrari money, but would still buy the GT-R, same thing with the 'Vette. There is just something special about the Stingray. I would sooner spend the money on the Stingray Z06 than a more expensive Porsche, Ferrari, etc.

As would I.

However, I still LOVE Ferraris and Porsches and Lambos, and Aston Martins, they're expensive sure, but they're still great cars.

----------

Oh yeah, gotta give a shoutout to the Audi R8 too. It's on the more expensive side since it's an Audi but it's understated, reliable, and of course very fast :D

I love R8s, they look so nice and understated, while still looking so damn nice. They sound so good, which is so rare for lots of European cars, and they're put together so well.

Fast? My lowly Grand Sport can hang with an R8 V10 on the track easy, but you don't buy an R8 to go fast in. you buy it to look sexy in ;)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
As would I.

However, I still LOVE Ferraris and Porsches and Lambos, and Aston Martins, they're expensive sure, but they're still great cars.

No doubt. Not taking credit away from them. They are great cars. I love Aston Martin's design wise. They are art on wheels. And I love the Aventador. If I was going to get an expensive super car, the Aventador would be the one I would choose.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I love those roadsters, they look great, sound great. And aren't underwhelming like most BMWs.

Your 155mph limit is just fine ;). My Corvette can do about 190. But I would never dream of taking it anywhere near that on a public road :cool:

I realized how much the limiter lowered the top speed the first time I took it to 90...I was in 5th gear, and was only turning 4 grand. It has an 8,000 red line, and a 6th gear.:eek:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I realized how much the limiter lowered the top speed the first time I took it to 90...I was in 5th gear, and was only turning 4 grand. It has an 8,000 red line, and a 6th gear.:eek:

I think 6th gear in those cars is actually an overdrive gear as it is in most 6 speed cars.

Yeah, I would not recommend trying to take it much past 155 ;) Most cars have those limiters for a reason, that and running an engine at red line for long periods isn't exactly good for it lol.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I think 6th gear in those cars is actually an overdrive gear as it is in most 6 speed cars.

Yeah, I would not recommend trying to take it much past 155 ;) Most cars have those limiters for a reason, that and running an engine at red line for long periods isn't exactly good for it lol.

Go 155! Not too likely!

That's all I'd need...get busted going 155, which is a criminal bust, not a ticket.

Losing my license and a criminal record...that would certainly take care of any indecision regarding retirement, as I'd lose my license to practice.:eek:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

The limiter is at 155 MPH due to European law. I just figure they don't bother changing it for the US market.

If anything, you'll just have to get speed appropriate tires that can handle the faster speed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My favorite sports car is the Chevrolet Corvette. I had 1978 Silver Anniversary Edition for a few years. This was taken at a family BBQ.

Dad had a 1987 Corvette and currently has a 1990 Corvette convertible with removable hard top.

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-28%20at%202.08.03%20PM.png

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Go 155! Not too likely!

That's all I'd need...get busted going 155, which is a criminal bust, not a ticket.

Losing my license and a criminal record...that would certainly take care of any indecision regarding retirement, as I'd lose my license to practice.:eek:

Why not! I've had my Grand Sport up to 170ish in " Mexico " ;)

----------

The limiter is at 155 MPH due to European law. I just figure they don't bother changing it for the US market.

If anything, you'll just have to get speed appropriate tires that can handle the faster speed.

That And I think those have the 3.0 i6 in them, I wouldn't want to take that engine up much past 155.

----------

My favorite sports car is the Chevrolet Corvette. I had 1978 Silver Anniversary Edition for a few years. This was taken at a family BBQ.

Dad had a 1987 Corvette and currently has a 1990 Corvette convertible with removable hard top.

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-28%20at%202.08.03%20PM.png

I love those cars, tho I doubt I'll never own one. They're just drop dead sexy

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Yeah, I really love the curves on the older Corvettes; and the new ones too.

Same, I was not a fan of most of the 80s and early 90s vettes, but other than that? Love em.

Always American's greatest offering for a sports car, always lightweight, always a V8, always rear drive.

What I love about the Corvette the most? Unlike all the new European sports cars, you can get a real transmission with it.

I'd love a used F430 if I could find one with a gated shifter for not an insane price.

----------

My favorite sports car is the one I drive every day. NSX :)
DSC_0977.jpg

Love those, I actually test drove a used 2002 Model years ago, wasn't my personal thing. But my god it could handle.

I really enjoy the automotive world, such as car shows. You sometimes get the idiot import nut who says " oh your engine is like 6.2 liters and only has 470 horsepower lololololol pushrods " and its like. " Hey buddy, lets go to the track and see who's king ;) "

Europe has always made great great sports cars, and its kind of sad that some of them are kinda losing the way, I'd love to see a new Ferrari with a mid engined V8, steel brakes, no electronic assist and a good old fashioned manual transmission.

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I like Italians too, just not as much as the English and Germans.

Attachments

• RUF 993.jpg
    RUF 993.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Porsche 914:6 .jpg
    Porsche 914:6 .jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Lotus europa.jpg
    Lotus europa.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 102

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I like Italians too, just not as much as the English and Germans.

Oh I agree.

Old English Sports cars are great, I'm currently in the middle of a TR6 restoration, I'm about half done, car has been stripped down to every nut and bolt, and the engine is being restored and rebuilt by a local engine shop, and they typically are used to old American V8s, but I went to check and they're really doing a great job with my old English engine.

911? Probably one of the best cars of all time

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I loved my Lotus Elise. It demonstrated that power, fancy electronics and massive wheels don't make a sports car. Delicate handling, feel and low weight. That's what counts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.