Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BryanSchmiedele

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Overland Park, KS
I am new to Mac Server administration and have a question.

My new company has a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.8.3. It is in the DMZ. I want to access it using server.app on my MacBook Pro. I downloaded server.app but I cannot connect to the server. I don't see the server in my finder's sidebar. I am sure this is because it is in the DMZ, but I am not a networking guy. How can I allow my computer to access the server? I do have an administrator account on the server.

Thanks for any and all help.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Pretty sure the sidebar in the Finder can only show devices on the same sub-net. I doubt stuff in the DMZ is on the same sub-net. Can you connect via IP address instead?

BryanSchmiedele

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Overland Park, KS
Getting remote Server.App to connect to a OS X Server in a DMZ

No, I can't. I want to be able to store my Xcode files there too. There has to be some way for my MacBook Pro to get to the server.

BryanSchmiedele

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Overland Park, KS
Can't Ping

You can't connect via IP? Can you even ping the server?

I have a personal MBP and when I connect to the internet with Wi-Fi I *can* ping the server and use screen sharing to get to the server.

On my company MBP which is inside the network I *cannot* ping the server and can't use screen sharing, which is weird.

I am not sure how to configure the server so I can get to if from inside the company's network. It sounds kind of like a networking issue....if I can't ping it.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have a personal MBP and when I connect to the internet with Wi-Fi I *can* ping the server and use screen sharing to get to the server.

On my company MBP which is inside the network I *cannot* ping the server and can't use screen sharing, which is weird.

I am not sure how to configure the server so I can get to if from inside the company's network. It sounds kind of like a networking issue....if I can't ping it.

I assume you'd need to enable routing between the DMZ and the internal LAN on the router (bad idea) or route packets out into the Internet and back to the DMZ (OK but you'd probably need to punch holes in the firewall).

BryanSchmiedele

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Overland Park, KS
I assume you'd need to enable routing between the DMZ and the internal LAN on the router (bad idea) or route packets out into the Internet and back to the DMZ (OK but you'd probably need to punch holes in the firewall).

I will wait until the guy that does firewalls comes back Monday and then have him set me up.

Thanks for you assistance!

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
DMZ is a completely different network then the internal LAN. Most firewalls will not allow you to do something like this. It would be a better idea to have your firewall guy port forward everything to the mac server and put it on the LAN.

BryanSchmiedele

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Overland Park, KS
DMZ is a completely different network then the internal LAN. Most firewalls will not allow you to do something like this. It would be a better idea to have your firewall guy port forward everything to the mac server and put it on the LAN.

I can ping the server from my Mac. If I try to Go to Server using https://IP address or the domain name, then it does ask me to log in, but I log in with the correct credentials and it says there was a problem logging into the server.

How can this be fixed?

Bryan

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
I can ping the server from my Mac. If I try to Go to Server using https://IP address or the domain name, then it does ask me to log in, but I log in with the correct credentials and it says there was a problem logging into the server.

How can this be fixed?

Bryan

is this a public or private ip?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.