Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Hi Macrumors Community!

I'm proud to share this with you. Just opened my Macbook to play some Dota2 Test and I happened to find out that DotA2 itself is also available as a Mac game!:eek: I'm downloading it right now to see if this is indeed true but my connection is terribly slow - 5 Mb TT____TT Can anyone with a faster internet confirm if this game actually works? (I do remember the 1st time the beta version was available for download on the Mac, it wouldn't even start... :( )

Their website - http://www.dota2.com/thebetaisover - still points out that there is no Mac or Linux versions available, though.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Hi Macrumors Community!

I'm proud to share this with you. Just opened my Macbook to play some Dota2 Test and I happened to find out that DotA2 itself is also available as a Mac game!:eek: I'm downloading it right now to see if this is indeed true but my connection is terribly slow - 5 Mb TT____TT Can anyone with a faster internet confirm if this game actually works? (I do remember the 1st time the beta version was available for download on the Mac, it wouldn't even start... :( )

Their website - http://www.dota2.com/thebetaisover - still points out that there is no Mac or Linux versions available, though.

Hmm is it? I'll definitely download it on the Mac side if true.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Just to let you know: I'm playing on mid 2013, 13'' MBP! Ok, medium settings, but it works fine and that's what matters :D So unless you want super pretty graphics, the basic model is just enough for one to enjoy this game! Impressive :D

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
London
So glad it came to Mac! I had no idea they had any plans to release on OS X and was surprised when the DOTA 2 Test client showed up recently but its awesome - just shows how many more developers/publishers are getting on board and pushing OS X releases too :)

I've run DOTA 2 on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro and it can run at high settings with little to no problem whatsoever :cool:

There is 1 bug that I've encountered and that is if you or at least, when I enabled the developer console in the Launch Options and started a game my FPS dropped significantly to the point the game was unplayable...

Even without net graph showing but the dev console enabled my FPS was still very low... I'm not 100% if this is related to the dev console BUT I cant see what else I changed that would have had a performance impact...

Anyway guys, its free and doesn't take too long to download on a standard internet connection! If you've got some spare HDD space, 30 minutes - 1 hour to spare then check it out - its very similar to League of Legends but with better graphics (IMO) and you have access to all *102 heroes straight away - you haven't got to grind your way through the game to afford certain heroes which is great!

This isn't to say League of Legends isn't a good game because its great too and also recently had a Mac release but they are similar games with strengths in different areas :) :apple:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Just downloaded and played it on my iMac 2011 with all settings to the max and full screens - no issues whatsoever, even though I had no idea what this game was about (seems good so far).

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
For those that like DOTA, also try League of Legends. It is a very similar game and the Mac client is native, and IMO very nicely done.

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
London
For those that like DOTA, also try League of Legends. It is a very similar game and the Mac client is native, and IMO very nicely done.

League of Legends is indeed another awesome game! Both are quite addictive but take some getting used to - gunna try to review LoL ASAP :) :apple:

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
London
It looks free to play. Currently downloading. Are there ads, micro-transactions, or how are they making money off this game? Thanks!

Hi Huntn!

I can confirm that the game is free to play and there are no ads in game!:)

It's a hugely popular game and has a lot of tournaments held for it globally. With LoL, each week you can pick from a small selection of random champions that everyone can try - these champions are swapped every week but essentially everyone has access to the same selection...

You can however purchase champions + runes etc with either IP (I believe this is the currency) which is gained from playing games and the amount you get depends on your performance and on if you win the game or not OR you can purchase champions with RP (Riot Points) which you have to pay for.

It's a really great game but can be somewhat more time consuming as if you want permanent access to a champion that you want to your speciality.. You'll have to save / buy points to unlock it and upgrade it with runes ;)

Definitely another game worth checking out, great mechanics and you can't lose as its free!:))

Drenwa

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
Dota 2 is by far the superior game compared to LoL. Dota 1 came out years ago, and is regarded as a more competitive and harder to play game with more features, mechanics, and a older audience. League of Legends was made by simplifying the the basic game that they copied while stealing many hero ideas and hero skills.
Starting August 1-11 Dota2 will host the biggest esports tournament in history with a prize pool of 2.6+million dollars, and growing each minute. Everything you'll need is free and micro-transactions are only there if you wish to make your heros look different. Also League enforces the players to stick to one meta style, where you pick a role and you have to play it, making each game pretty boring (you can get banned for not following the strict meta), where in Dota2 you can play whatever role you want and go wherever you want.
If you want to check out a good place to learn more http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/. Enjoy :D

nyteowl9

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
DOTA 2 > League of Legends for so many reasons, but for those who never played both... obvious reasons is that in dota2 all heroes are unlocked... in league of legends you have to unlock them (or pay)

the other thing about dota2 is you can buy a courier to run towards you to bring your items... in league of legends, you have to portal back to your starting area or run back.

dota 2 graphics are better... the only downside is league of legends has more maps.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi Huntn!

I can confirm that the game is free to play and there are no ads in game!:)

Thanks for the info! I assumed this game was an RPG with character development and a campaign mode? After getting it running, it's looking like just multi-player, conquer the other side of the map, and your hero starts from scratch each battle, is that correct? If so I am disappointed, hoping something like Torchlight or Diablo 2.

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
London
Thanks for the info! I assumed this game was an RPG with character development and a campaign mode? After getting it running, it's looking like just multi-player, conquer the other side of the map, and your hero starts from scratch each battle, is that correct? If so I am disappointed, hoping something like Torchlight or Diablo 2.

Yeah that's pretty much it, fresh start every map with the same objective :)

I've not had a chance to play Torchlight yet - what's it like?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I've been playing as Warlock mostly, enjoying it a lot. Still learning the ropes, but it's very well polished!

I enjoy being ranged more than being up close and personal as a support.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Also don't forget HON (Heros of Newerth) - another great tower defense game with a native OSX client.

twombles62

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, role playing, character development and acquisition of gear over the long term. And unfortunately because campaign mode is important, Dota 2 as it is, does not do it for me. :(

It's completely different type of game. You don't go an play a racing game and complain that it's not a FPS do you?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's completely different type of game. You don't go an play a racing game and complain that it's not a FPS do you?

It's a polished game. Yeah, it's my problem of what I thought it was (which it's not). Have done a couple of matches. Are all the maps basically the same or is there substantial variation?

As far as strategy, if you have 2 coop players, it seems best if you split yourselves to different lanes and be flexible to run to take care of incursions, true?

Last edited:

twombles62

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
It's a polished game. Yeah, it's my problem of what I thought it was (which it's not). Have done a couple of matches. Are all the maps basically the same or is there substantial variation?

As far as strategy, if you have 2 coop players, it seems best if you split yourselves to different lanes and be flexible to run to take care of incursions, true?

My original comment may have been a bit rude. But, the way I think of it, is that Dota is almost closer to a sport than most video games.

It's very complicated, and there are certain conventions that have come about. The variation comes from the combination of heroes used. To put it simply, there are heroes that are carries (do the most damage, get the kills etc.), supports (healing, supporting spells), and mixes of both. Each hero is also one of either strength, intelligence, or agility based, and will have a generally style of playing, suitable items, and a balance of team members. It takes a really long time to pick these things up.

MercenaryTX

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
The problem I'm having in Dota is keeping up with my character. How can you center the screen without constantly hitting F1? This is easy to toggle the option in LoL.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
The problem I'm having in Dota is keeping up with my character. How can you center the screen without constantly hitting F1? This is easy to toggle the option in LoL.

Yeah i noticed this too. It's overly sensitive. You can assign keys to the camera movement and it helps somewhat. The other problem is that camera panning hangs and stutters occasionally. Contrary to what others have said I still think the League of Legends client has better graphics and it defiantly plays perfectly on my mac pro.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My original comment may have been a bit rude. But, the way I think of it, is that Dota is almost closer to a sport than most video games.

It's very complicated, and there are certain conventions that have come about. The variation comes from the combination of heroes used. To put it simply, there are heroes that are carries (do the most damage, get the kills etc.), supports (healing, supporting spells), and mixes of both. Each hero is also one of either strength, intelligence, or agility based, and will have a generally style of playing, suitable items, and a balance of team members. It takes a really long time to pick these things up.

Thanks for the info! :) I'll probably play around with it some more.

This weekend I downloaded Torchlight 2 for coop play and this is much more what I was looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.