Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
hi im asking this because i want to buy an unlocked iphone 4 verizon from the web
its 32GB and the seller claims it to be a brand new unit, i did checked with apple.com regarding the serial number and it says it was made in 2012
but the seller says it is totally brand new with 00:00 lifetim timer
so im asking this , is there anyway that you can erase the lifetime timer on an iphone ?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
A "restore as new" resets the lifetime counter.

The screenshot was taken on an iPhone 4 from 2010. It's obviously been used for more than 21 minutes of phone calls.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 763

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
I guess you're talking about warranty stuff, right?
If an iPhone was never activated it's, then, a brand new unit. If it was used one time you can do nothing and the seller can't reset the time when it was activated.

Topher227

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
I believe he's talking about the 'lifetime call timer'.

This gets reset after a restore... It's not like the old days (like with with a Motorola Nextel or one of my old Verizon LG's) where that timer could never be reset.

Unless if the phone is advertised at a killer discounted price, i would just walk away now... the seller is already lying to you.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I'm calling BS on the seller. Why hold on to a phone for a year to sell it as brand new? Wouldn't it make more economical sense to sell it in 2012 when the value was higher than it is now?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
A "restore as new" resets the lifetime counter.

The screenshot was taken on an iPhone 4 from 2010. It's obviously been used for more than 21 minutes of phone calls.

Strange. I've restored my iPhone from new several times. However...

bynybehu.jpg

Thats obviously the lifetime since I first got it knowing my usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.