Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vote on Your Preferred Display Ratio

• Total voters

gxtoast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Hi everyone, please vote for your preference of 4:3 or 16:9. Let's put this one to bed with a massive showing.

I'll start off by saying I never want 16:9 in a tablet, laptop, or desktop display.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The poll is incomplete.

The right aspect ratio for a tablet is 1:√2

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi everyone, please vote for your preference of 4:3 or 16:9. Let's put this one to bed with a massive showing.

I'll start off by saying I never want 16:9 in a tablet, laptop, or desktop display.
This poll is bad as I want one aspect ratio for Tablets and another for computers, plus the aspect ratio I prefer for computers isn't lsted and it's one Apple used to have, that being 16:10. Since this is in the iPad section I select 4:3 as my choice since it's annoying to read on a 16:9 tablet.

gxtoast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Come on guys, the poll is pretty clear:

Vote For or Against an iPad with a 16:9 Display

I could have used the words "For" and "Against" in the Poll, but figured everyone knows 4:3 and 16:9.

I am so happy that Apple has chosen to stick with 16:10 for displays and laptops. If someone wants to start another Poll in the Mac forums I'm sure we'll get lots of voters there, too.

----------

Yeah, but no one has created a Poll. Notice that I said I also hoped that we could "put this to bed", meaning that we Vote now on a Poll to end all Polls :)

The problem is that all PCs have gone 16:9 and it is truly terrible.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I could have used the words "For" and "Against" in the Poll, but figured everyone knows 4:3 and 16:9.

I am so happy that Apple has chosen to stick with 16:10 for displays and laptops. If someone wants to start another Poll in the Mac forums I'm sure we'll get lots of voters there, too.

If you spend a little time searching the forums, you'll find there are existing polls on just about any topic. They don't accomplish anything, as Apple will make what they choose to make, regardless of any comments or polls posted in this or any other forum.
Yeah, but no one has created a Poll.
False. The never ending 16:9 vs 16:10 Discussion

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you spend a little time searching the forums, you'll find there are existing polls on just about any topic. They don't accomplish anything, as Apple will make what they choose to make, regardless of any comments or polls posted in this or any other forum.

Forum polls aren't for getting Apple to do something, they are for getting a sense of what other forum members think on a topic.

----------

That is for Mac monitors. This poll is about iPads

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans

False. The never ending 16:9 vs 16:10 Discussion

It wouldve helped if some of those links you put up had polls :p and last one that one isnt for iPads.

Isnt it better though for up-to-date new threads rather than reviving old outdates ones? (speaking in general, not to this specific 16:9 topic)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yep, not asking for a discussion - just Vote!

The point is, there have been polls, and they always include discussions. Here's another one, from three years ago, so this is not a new topic.

Poll: 16:9 on the iPad
Isnt it better though for up-to-date new threads rather than reviving old outdates ones? (speaking in general, not to this specific 16:9 topic)
From the forum FAQ:
How do I start a new thread?
To start a new thread:
  1. Browse or search the forums to see if there is already a thread on the topic. If so, post there instead of creating a new thread.

Last edited:

gxtoast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
The point is, there have been polls, and they always include discussions. Here's another one, from three years ago, so this is not a new topic.

Poll: 16:9 on the iPad

From the forum FAQ:

135 votes. How many users on this forum? I'm happy for this thread to be locked, as we clearly don't need any more discussion on the topic.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
16:10 with iOS9 ? Being modified to allow to utilize the new format screen and also allow some form of side by side multitasking so you could drag items from one app to the other.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Poll: 16:9 on the iPad:

That's three years ago, people's opinions might have changed in the meanwhile, and we might have a new mix of members following this forum. So I think it could be useful to redo the poll. It's good to have the older poll for reference, though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
16:10 with iOS9 ? Being modified to allow to utilize the new format screen and also allow some form of side by side multitasking so you could drag items from one app to the other.

Maybe. The weight balance would have to be right for holding comfortably in hand.

But with the current OS (iOS up to 7), and the current weight balance? Definitely stick to 4:3.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

The poll does not ask the same thing as the thread title.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I said 16:9, but to clarify I must say that I like the full-size iPad the way it is. I just think the iPad mini should be lengthened to 16:9, keeping the width the same. Similarly extending the full-size iPad could create iPad Maxi.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I said 16:9, but to clarify I must say that I like the full-size iPad the way it is. I just think the iPad mini should be lengthened to 16:9, keeping the width the same. Similarly extending the full-size iPad could create iPad Maxi.

Do you think you would feel the same way if you owned a Mini instead of the iPad 4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.