Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hi All - a newbie question - now about 3 months into owning a MBP & new iMac (latest hardware & OS X updates) - home network w/ an Apple AirPort Extreme (also have my old PC in a back room w/ a Wi-Fi connection - attached to 2 older printers & a newer Canon scanner).

For the last month, one of my projects has been to scan in hundreds of old slides & family photos - all are now on the old PC hard drive & also on a USB drive. The new iMac is for my wife (cabled into the router) while my MBP is Wi-Fi (for me) - what I would like to do is put all of these scanned images onto the iMac and then be able to access the folders on the iMac under both her's & my users' accounts, and also be able to grab selected images onto my MBP to upload to various websites.

I know that this involves setting up 'file sharing' but what are my easiest options to accomplish these goals, i.e. to share the same 'photos' on the iMac & to also grab selected ones wirelessly w/ my MBP? I already have some ideas of the process but would like to go in the right direction from the start - thanks as always. Dave

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
Easiest way would be as follows.

• Create a folder on the root level of the iMac HD. Label it such as "Family Photos"

• Turn on File Sharing in the system preferences under Sharing.

• Add the Family Photos folder to the shared folders area of sharing.

• Give users access using the Users section of sharing.

• Turn on SMB sharing under options if you plan on having a PC access the share.

• Other Mac users can access the shared folder by using the Connect To Server option in the Finder.
- For a Mac user - connect to the share using Command+K (afp://yourIPaddress)
- For a Windows user - connect to the share using the Run command (\\yourIPaddress)

• If your wife is logged into her account on the iMac, she can access the folder directly by just going to the shared folder on the root level of the HD.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Easiest way would be as follows.

• Create a folder on the root level of the iMac HD. Label it such as "Family Photos"

• Turn on File Sharing in the system preferences under Sharing.

• Add the Family Photos folder to the shared folders area of sharing..............

Thanks KScott.... - I'll give it a try today! :) Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.