Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie365

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Loulé, Portugal
Hi,

I have a Macbook Air and the trackpad mouse cursor is working but when i try to click something it doesn't function at all, what can I do?

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I had the same issue. Seems that the macbook air chassis is so weak*, repeatedly pressing the pad causes it to bend inwards like a V (a very subtle one), so I didn't even feel a click when I pressed it when mine went because it was compressed.

I fixed it by bending it back out, but I wouldn't advise somebody else to this incase it goes wrong, but that's the fix & I bet its all Apple will do.

*waits for all the Apple fan-idiots to start defending something they probably don't even own.

drsoong

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Munich
Option in System Preferences

By default tap-to-click is not activated - at least I always fall for it when playing with Macbooks in the store, when they don't react to a tap. :rolleyes:

Go to System Preferences/Trackpad and tick in the left column "Tap to Click".

-Dr.Soong

roseboice2

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
trackpad clicking not working - solved

For the trackpad in place of the mouse.........
After trying everything listed - new batteries, looking for the screw, calling apple, looking for water damage, etc.... I looked at my trackpad from the side and realized that it was slightly bent... i GENTLY straightened it out and Boom Done. Trackpad click fixed.
Crazy, but it worked immediately. Just make sure you turn it back on after you take out the batteries.... couldn't figure out why it wasn't connecting even though the click was working.... : )

Last edited:

JoeG2013

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
By default tap-to-click is not activated - at least I always fall for it when playing with Macbooks in the store, when they don't react to a tap. :rolleyes:

Go to System Preferences/Trackpad and tick in the left column "Tap to Click".

-Dr.Soong

Thank you, Dr.Soong, that was the problem exactly! ...Joe

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I bought an MBA 2 years ago when the new design first came out. The trackpad simply wouldn't function well. Took it to Apple, genius agreed with me and sent it in and they replaced the bottom. It came back and still didn't click properly. I decided not to fix it and returned it under the 14 day warranty and bought a cMBP instead. I think the thin body doesn't have enough room for a good trackpad. This is why I'm not really considering an MBA now even though it has more power than the cMBP I'm running on now.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
It's not common.

Did you follow JoeG2013's instructions?
What are you talking about? I am not having problems with my MBA trackpad. I'm not the thread starter or saying I had a problem with mine.

I was playing devil's advocate in my post, asking how he knew it was a common problem because I believe it is not a common problem.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
What are you talking about? I am not having problems with my MBA trackpad. I'm not the thread starter or saying I had a problem with mine.

I was playing devil's advocate in my post, asking how he knew it was a common problem because I believe it is not a common problem.

I quoted the wrong person, so sue me. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.