Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmanley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
So, for a very long time now I've been curious to know what software Apple uses to rip movies for iTunes. Surely there is some software that they use in the creation of the films and shows that wind up in the store for sell.

Anyone know?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Apple doesn't "rip" them; the studios supply them in ProRes 422 HQ format and Apple compresses them down to 5 Mb/s H.264 (likely with something similar to Compressor).

jmanley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Wow, that was a quick response. Honestly I was afraid no one would respond.

So 'ProRes 422 HQ' format. Is that something similar to uncompressed like an SD title..would that essentially be a VOB file or something? Sorry I'm not very technical with this stuff.

Is there a way for me to, using an .iso file create a copy of the .iso in 'ProRes 422 HQ'? Sorry for all the newbie questions on this.

jmanley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
So after reading into the Compressor program you mentioned..is that something I can buy myself to use for compressing .iso files? Can it be used outside the confines of Final Cut Pro?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
ProRes is compressed, but nowhere near as much as the "consumer" compression formats. For example, a 2-hour movie is about 200 GB in ProRes 422 HQ. Aside from some very specific cases, there is no benefit in converting an existing compressed movie into ProRes format.

Compressor can be used standalone and doesn't require Final Cut. It doesn't support as many input formats as, say, HandBrake but it should accept whatever you can play in QuickTime Player. Naturally the files that it produces are guaranteed to work on Apple devices.

Last edited:

jmanley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
ProRes is compressed, but nowhere near as much as the "consumer" compression formats. For example, a 2-hour movie is about 200 GB in ProRes 422 HQ. Aside from some very specific cases, there is no benefit in converting an existing compressed movie into ProRes format.

Compressor can be used standalone and doesn't require Final Cut. It doesn't support as many input formats as, say, HandBrake but it should accept whatever you can play in QuickTime Player. Naturally the files that it produces are guaranteed to work on Apple devices.

Thank you for the clarification. Would compressor support an .iso file? Or perhaps a non-copyright protected DVD?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Thank you for the clarification. Would compressor support an .iso file? Or perhaps a non-copyright protected DVD?
Compressor is overkill for what you're apparently trying to do. If you have videos (or DVDs) you want to convert handbrake is the conversion tool you want to use.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Compressor is overkill for what you're apparently trying to do. If you have videos (or DVDs) you want to convert handbrake is the conversion tool you want to use.

Yup, HandBrake is free and should do what you need. Compressor costs I think US$50 and is aimed at professionals (and doesn't read .iso files directly).

jmanley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks all for the responses. I have tried using Handbrake and cannot quite attain the level of quality of my purchased movies.

Not to belabor the point but does Compressor 4 handle .cdr files? When I rip my DVD's via Disk Utility they import as .cdr files. Of course they can be changed to .iso. But I'm curious if Compressor 4 could handle the .cdr?

If it can I would be willing to spend the money to try it, over Handbrake.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Not to belabor the point but does Compressor 4 handle .cdr files? When I rip my DVD's via Disk Utility they import as .cdr files. Of course they can be changed to .iso. But I'm curious if Compressor 4 could handle the .cdr?

No. Compressor requires QuickTime-readable files. HandBrake is unlikely to be the cause of poor quality encodes; you are simply not going to get the same quality out of a DVD that Apple does from its multi-GB source files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.