Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I think physical home button will be gone since authentec solution already could work without the button. Remember the patent apple has been awarded for using a hidden button/ device bezel for user authentication?

Last edited:

justinp3714

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
Case manufacturers like otterbox might have to change their designs (i.e. the defender series). This will be interesting.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Should be a blast to use when the cold weather starts then. I doubt those special touchscreen gloves will work for the sensor reading.

Also, I look forward to stories of people locked out of their phone after getting a paper cut on their thumb at work.

:rolleyes:

You won't be required to utilize it - likely just as passcodes and face recognition are currently OPTIONS, so too will the security features on the fingerprint sensor.

And again - why do you all think so small? There are a number of other applications (quick access to certain settings/apps/contacts via different fingerprints) that could come of this.

Jesus - but I bet Samsung's hand waving features are revolutionary :rolleyes:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Hope they figure out the orientation of the finger print. Imagine trying to unlock your phone in landscape position :p

Should be a blast to use when the cold weather starts then. I doubt those special touchscreen gloves will work for the sensor reading.

Also, I look forward to stories of people locked out of their phone after getting a paper cut on their thumb at work.

I'm sure you will still be able unlock your phone with the traditional password. :rolleyes:

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

Which is why they will require you to register at least 3 fingers. The fingerprint scanner on my previous laptop (which the scanner worked great BTW, I used it all the time) required you to register 3 fingers (you could register all 10 if you wanted) so if something like that happens, you can still have access. So even if you have your hand cut off for some reason, you still have 5 other choices!

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Case manufacturers like otterbox might have to change their designs (i.e. the defender series). This will be interesting.
Maybe not. Remember, the AuthenTec fingerprint sensor that Apple acquired uses radio waves, which allows it to image through plastic and beneath your skin.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
I can't wait to see future rumors titled "Thumb Bandits Strike Again, iTunes Accounts Drained".
I've taken the liberty of Photoshopping the image that will most likely accompany these rumors:

What if the sensor requires a beating pulse in the thumb to unlock the device? Then no finger print duplicates or chopped off thumbs can work to unlock the device. Only the real thing can because it's alive and has a beating pulse. At least I hope it's like that.

MachineShedFred

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
What if the sensor requires a beating pulse in the thumb to unlock the device? Then no finger print duplicates or chopped off thumbs can work to unlock the device. Only the real thing can because it's alive and has a beating pulse. At least I hope it's like that.

Man, that cuts off the whole zombie market segment. You've got to be more inclusive in your product design!

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Huffington post called this a "minor proof" of a fingerprint in future devices, which made me chuckle. I know we're far from 100% absolutely confirmed, but the fact it's included in a beta code this early when we've probably still got 1 or 2 more releases to go before gm is a pretty good sign that its close to implemented in near future hardware.

I'm quite excited about it, if the next iPhone has a fingerprint sensor I'll be on board for sure! I don't trust anyone not to try and steal my shiney smartphone these days! Biometrics combined with activation lock will pretty much render thieves stumped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.