Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Hey guys,

Just got back from my trip to California and had a GREAT time, however my friend ran into a problem out there.

He kept a TON of photos on his SD card from about January, and when he deleted them, he did it through the in-camera system. In any case, now the card does not show up when plugged into a PC or Mac... and the camera gives a read error whenever it is turned on with the card in.

We are currently looking at a few Data Recovery services, but it is a 1.0gb SD Card and the places that I have seen want about $125 for this. This is a lot more than I was expecting, and I'm curious if anybody can offer some advice. Other services, or any other cheaper alternatives.

Thank you very much,

Ken

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
So the images were never downloaded to the machine?

You may be able to recover the image files with TechTools or another application, but the cost is similar to what you have been quoted.

Always, always, always:

Burn a CD or DVD of the contents of your CF or SD cards before you do ANYTHING else.

Saves heartbreak, guaranteed.

Good luck.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
You can also use DataRescue for that: it is designed to recover data and unlike DiskWarrior, only reads of the damaged volume. I've successfully recovered image files from a memory card with it.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The nice thing about Data Rescue is that it's the best data recovery tool for the Mac out there, bar none! It is not limited to memory cards and recovering images and has saved my bacon on two occasions. It's well worth the money!

jammiefreerider

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2006
I use PhotoRec Its free but a bit disconcerting to use at first but does a suprisingly good job. I always end up recovering more than I was expecting. You will find the original filenames are gone so you have to manually sort it out, but at least you get everything back :)

Reactions: steckinsights

MitchT1966

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
The nice thing about Data Rescue is that it's the best data recovery tool for the Mac out there, bar none! It is not limited to memory cards and recovering images and has saved my bacon on two occasions. It's well worth the money!

I can only confirm: just killed almost 100 pictures when "playing" with an SD and my iPad. Thanks to DataRescue 3 I was able to recover all accidentally delete pictures. Great tool!

AgRacer

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
I use PhotoRec Its free but a bit disconcerting to use at first but does a suprisingly good job. I always end up recovering more than I was expecting. You will find the original filenames are gone so you have to manually sort it out, but at least you get everything back :)

Ditto.

Hylimasda

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Be patient. If you're using a program that supports deep scanning at the cost of a slower recovery process, use it. The speed of this type of scan depends on your system's CPU rather than its I/O, as most of the work involves matching file signatures and checking for false positives. If you're in a hurry, run a deep scan using the fastest machine you have access to.

Other solution is: Try Viboosoft Card Data Recovery, Google it.

Last edited:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Be patient. If you're using a program that supports deep scanning at the cost of a slower recovery process, use it. The speed of this type of scan depends on your system's CPU rather than its I/O, as most of the work involves matching file signatures and checking for false positives. If you're in a hurry, run a deep scan using the fastest machine you have access to.

The OP asked the question in 2006... so I expect that patience is no longer the major issue.

BTW: Despite my tongue-in-cheek response... your advice is good. ;)

For those who have not run across this issue... I recommend using "mirrored mode" if your camera supports dual SD cards. I also recommend backing up your pictures to a computer nightly... and not erasing SD cards until you know everything is imported and backed up. For me, this happens at the end of a trip once I am home, and everything is saved on my iMac.

/Jim

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I had the same problem, and used Klix from Joesoft (now Prosoft) after trying a bunch of free tools. Klix worked perfectly and recovered all the files.

Good luck.

mahmudd29

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
Many 3rd Party Softz are there for this task. Your work is to just find the right one. Just search a bit.

steckinsights

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
Just used PhotoRec and it was awesome. The command line interface may seem daunting, but it doesn't require any coding. Just navigate the menu with your arrow keys. Worked beautifully!

Chloec

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2014
When you plug the SD Card in the Mac, it didn't appear on Mac? Data Recovery software are all basic on computer. If the software doesn't find the SD card, then how to scan the SD card?

steckinsights

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
When you plug the SD Card in the Mac, it didn't appear on Mac? Data Recovery software are all basic on computer. If the software doesn't find the SD card, then how to scan the SD card?

When you're looking at the list of directories, check the instructions that are on that page. There was details about expanding the list, so you could see more files/directories. I didn't see my SD card at first, but followed the instruction and the rest of the directories appeared. Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.