Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new support document has emerged on Apple's website today, revealing a way for iMessage users to report unwanted messages, or spam, directly to Apple.
To report unwanted iMessage messages to Apple, please send an email with the following details to: imessage.spam@icloud.com

Include a screenshot of the message you have received.
Include the full email address or phone number you received the unwanted message from.
Include the date and time that you received the message.
In late March it was reported that a group of iOS developers had been hit with denial-of-service attacks via iMessage that saw them receiving a series of rapid-fire messages. Previously, it was not possible for users to take action against possible spam attacks. Now users can alert Apple to any possible problems directly.

imessage_ipad_mac_iphone.jpg
Similarly, users with iOS 7 wanting to fight potential spam will have the ability to block contacts in the Messages, Phone and FaceTime apps, but users with previous versions of iOS will not be able to use that feature.

Article Link: Apple Support Document Unveils iMessage Spam Reporting Tool

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
In the long term this should be incorporated into the Messages app. In the current form it's more like a punishment to the victim by requiring them to draft a whole e-mail containing all the details, the screenshot, date and time, etc. etc.

I don't know how did the spammer get my contact details but somehow they managed to send several spam messages to me asking me to download a Chinese iOS game.

Last edited:

kimble3

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Really?

I guess it's nice but is it just me or is this kind of a half-assed solution? Take a screenshot and send an email? Why not just put a button or menu entry in Messages to report it directly. It just seems overly complicated...

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I saw spam similar to the junk you see on AIM for the first time in iMessage. Some random account saying "Hey my new fave" then a link, probably to a phishing site. I told him to get lost, to put it nicely, just in case anyone is listening.

Sigspd

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Jacksonville Florida
About time

Now, It is about time there was a way to report, but it should be included in the message app like maps having a way to report there is a problem.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
In the long term this should be incorporated into the Messages app. In the current form it's more like a punishment to the victim by requiring them to draft a whole e-mail containing all the details, the screenshot, date and time, etc. etc.

I don't know how did the spammer get my contact details but somehow they managed to send several spam messages to me asking me to download a Chinese iOS game.

I agree, I don't know why there isn't just a "Mark as spam" button in the application, just like in Mail.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Don't post your iMessage address for the whole world to see in the first place?

You have to be pretty stupid to spam using an Apple device. :rolleyes:

And you have to be less than polite to throw the word "stupid" at people you've never met and people who may not share your knowledge. Before you roll your eyes at these folks, how about you help to educate them?

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
I just want a way out of a group! I joined a group with college buddies during a reunion, and two months later I still get 40 messages a day from them. Granted, some of the messages are really funny, but it gets annoying during busy work days.

Oh, and I asked the group to remove my number, and I just got bombarded that day with 3 times the usual amount. Not gonna do that again...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
And you have to be less than polite to throw the word "stupid" at people you've never met and people who may not share your knowledge. Before you roll your eyes at these folks, how about you help to educate them?

Because spammers are stupid? Come on. I've been getting spam in my e-mail since 1998 and absolutely nothing has changed. They've been using the same tactics to "get your attention" for the last decade. Spam needs to be more literate to be effective, and you'd think with all the people willing to write crap for 1 cent, that it would be.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
It's better than nothing, but there should just be a "Report Spam" button somewhere which automates the whole process.

Maybe Apple is working on such a system and is using the email method as a placeholder.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Let's be honest, if we discovered Microsoft or Google asking users to use this method, we'd be shaking our heads and making fun of them right now.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I guess it's a start. Apple in this case is like a carrier and so something had to be implemented. Hopefully it will get improved over time.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I'd feel more confident if Apple did a better job on iCloud mail spam filtering. GMail does a much better job in my case.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Is there a way to copy/paste the sender's contact, as needed for reporting? The normal process doesn't seem to work.

The process seems a lot more work than ignoring the spam. It is only going to work if it is easy, so that lots of people do it.

Last edited:

KentuckyApple

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Chicago, IL
block calls from Unknown?

Does anyone know if the new funtionality in iOS7 will allow you to block calls from "unknown"? I get 2-3 calls 2-3 times a week from an unknown number. I never pick it up, but the VMs left sound like the person on the other end is not aware of the call either.

Amadeus71

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
Spam report for emails would be nice, too

There are waives of emails that seem to target iCloud users every now and then: nothing for weeks, but then 3-5 in a single day. It's also family members who are signed up receiving these on the same day but I'm certain we have not all signed up anywhere that could have leaked the address.

dbrand

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Memphis, TN
Guilty

Don't post your iMessage address for the whole world to see in the first place?

You have to be pretty stupid to spam using an Apple device. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm pretty stupid then. Didn't even realize I had opened myself up to this attack. I simply checked a box that allowed my twitter account to use iMessage. Worst DOS attack I have ever encountered. Phone was bombarded with about 4 messages per second nonstop. It was tough to even figure out where it was coming from. Usually pretty careful about privacy settings but I guess it's a brave new world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.