Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Isis, the mobile wallet venture that has been backed by AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless, has announced that it will initiate a national rollout of service this year and will include support for Apple's iPhone, as reported by Bloomberg.

isis_payments-800x362.jpg
"What you'll see coming from us is a vastly improved product, a variety of new places to use it, a vastly improved user experience," Ryan Hughes, chief marketing officer at New York-based Isis, said in an interview.
Prior to this announcement, Isis had begun testing its services at 4,000 locations in Austin, Texas and Salt Lake City, Utah. Isis CEO Ryan Hughes revealed that in these tests, Isis users made payments with the phone more than ten times a month on average, and claimed that two-thirds of users in the test program opted to receive advertisements and offers from their favorite brands. This form of advertising would be something that carriers would use to capture new forms of revenue as the number of new smartphone customers grow.

Transactions using near-field communication (NFC) technology are expected to hit $110 billion by 2017, and has been included with many phones that run Google's Android platform like the Samsung Galaxy S4, and phones that run Microsoft's Windows Phone platform, such as the Nokia Lumia 925. Apple's iPhone does not currently have NFC capabilities, but the company has been rumored to integrate the technology with the potential launch of the iPhone 5S in the Fall.

Article Link: Isis to Roll Out National NFC Payment Service This Year With iPhone Support

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Wow, so sad to see Apple in this position where they're always playing catch up.

mattlister

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
The company I work for Gemalto, was selected in 2011 to provide technology behind this project http://www.gemalto.com/telecom/linqus/mfs/mobile_nfc/isis.html

Great to see that the project is rolling out nationally in the USA, and that NFC is moving.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
It's unfortunate that Isis will be supporting the iPhone before Google Wallet... the latter is so much better in terms of merchant support (Google Wallet is a bridge over to MasterCard PayPass) and app usability.

Oh well :(

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Wow, so sad to see Apple in this position where they're always playing catch up.

The chips have been available for quite some time. My guess is APPLE has deliberately held off on this technology, waiting for wider adoption. Timing is everything, and until there is the underlying infrastructure, necessary to make payment via NFC an option that has been adopted by a reasonably large percentage of the industry in general, and retailers in particular, introduction of this tech by APPLE in their hardware, would have been a disappointing experience for those of us sporting iOS devices with such technology.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Rubbish. Apple don't just chuck in new technologies for the sake of it. As other people said, they wait for it to be widely adopted, or perfect the technology before putting it into their products.

IMHO, it's sad to see other manufacturers in a position where they don't take any pride in their product, and have a mentality of chucking stuff on a wall to see what sticks.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The chips have been available for quite some time. My guess is APPLE has deliberately held off on this technology, waiting for wider adoption. Timing is everything, and until there is the underlying infrastructure, necessary to make payment via NFC an option that has been adopted by a reasonably large percentage of the industry in general, and retailers in particular, introduction of this tech by APPLE in their hardware, would have been a disappointing experience for those of us sporting iOS devices with such technology.

Rubbish. Apple don't just chuck in new technologies for the sake of it. As other people said, they wait for it to be widely adopted, or perfect the technology before putting it into their products.

So, if every company does what you're saying Apple is doing, no technology would be developed.

IMHO, it's sad to see other manufacturers in a position where they don't take any pride in their product, and have a mentality of chucking stuff on a wall to see what sticks.

Let me understand the reasoning. You bash other companies for developing new technologies and praise Apple for waiting until the technology is well developed and released?

How do you think it would be ready for Apple is others doesn't implement it before?

Do you people read your arguments before writing them?

Asriel

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Apple's success has often been based on taking technologies that have been around for a while and making them more accessible to the less tech savvy (which actually includes most of the population).

I would say rather than waiting for a technology to take off, it's hard for them to take off WITHOUT Apple being involved, and NFC is a perfect example of this. I have no doubt that if it is implemented in the next iPhone, then it will finally get the boost it needs to become widespread.

(Then Apple can claim to have "invented" it like they did with "multitouch" and "smartphones" ;-) )

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Let me understand the reasoning. You bash other companies for developing new technologies and praise Apple for waiting until the technology is well developed and released?

How do you think it would be ready for Apple is others doesn't implement it before?

Do you people read your arguments before writing them?

Yes, I do praise Apple for waiting until a third-party technology is well developed and released, because they want to make the best products possible. There are plenty of examples where they haven't done that. Multi-touch, although previously developed, wasn't commonplace in phones or technology in general; they spent a good few years perfecting it with the UI for the iPhone and then releasing that.

Not to mention when they did things such as standardise USB in the first iMac -- heck, I'm still seeing modern computers come with PS2 ports for mouse & keyboard.

It's not a case of Apple piggy-backing on other people's innovations, not at all. But if there's a new technology just released, what's the point in putting it into their products if it won't be useful in commonplace scenarios? As SJ once said, the hardest part is to decide what not to put in your product, otherwise you'll end up with a product that does everything but excels in nothing.

Please let me know if you want me to clarify any points.

Asriel

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
But if there's a new technology just released, what's the point in putting it into their products if it won't be useful in commonplace scenarios? As SJ once said, the hardest part is to decide what not to put in your product, otherwise you'll end up with a product that does everything but excels in nothing.

But Apple is in a very different position now to when iPhones were first released.

iPhone has such a big share of the market that any smartphone technology not included on it is missing from half the people who might otherwise use it. Unless it is so successful and obvious that Apple has no choice but to include it (say 3G or GPS missing from first iPhone), to some extent Apple gets to DECIDE whether it takes of or not by whether they play along.

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
Does this mean that iPhone 5S has NFC for sure?

Go read the source article...

"By working on the iPhone, Isis is indicating that it’s expanding beyond a technology called near-field communication (NFC), which hasn’t taken off as expected."

Of course with the fingerprint scanner driver found in iOS7, it is certainly possible. They are probably doing something else to enable the mass of iPhones in use without NFC though. They could use the LCD screens on the NFC payment gear to show QRCodes for transaction IDs or similar. It would allow any phone with an app/camera/IP connection to do a fairly simple transaction without NFC hardware.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Yes, I do praise Apple for waiting until a third-party technology is well developed and released, because they want to make the best products possible

Please let me know if you want me to clarify any points.

This point, for example.

What happens when all the companies do that?

iglobe

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Ios 7 gm will be release with iwallet solution.

Go read the source article...

"By working on the iPhone, Isis is indicating that it¡¯s expanding beyond a technology called near-field communication (NFC), which hasn¡¯t taken off as expected."

Of course with the fingerprint scanner driver found in iOS7, it is certainly possible. They are probably doing something else to enable the mass of iPhones in use without NFC though. They could use the LCD screens on the NFC payment gear to show QRCodes for transaction IDs or similar. It would allow any phone with an app/camera/IP connection to do a fairly simple transaction without NFC hardware.
NFC Booster : INSIDE Booster is a patented,standards-compliant NFC technology that is deployed in a SIM card, which plugs into ordinary mobile phones to turn them into fully functional NFC-enabled handsets.

*.Virtual Wallet : Virtual Wallet is an architecture and a contactless interface with high-speed communication capabilities that access a secure element stored in the cloud to securely interact with a contactless POS. To learn more about this, click here.

*.NFC 2.0 : Near Field Communication (NFC) technology is evolving rapidly. NFC 2.0 provides a superior user experience, connection to the real world, and optimized integration. NFC 2.0 bridges the virtual world with the real world, opening opportunities to create significant new revenue streams.
Apple had already cross licensed this tech by selling their Embedded Security Solutions division to Inside Secure for $48 million.
I think apple service provider will issue nfc 2.0 nano sim to customers.
NO NEED BUY A NEW PHONE,NOW IT JUST REQUIRES A PIECE OF SOFTWARE TO RUN.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
NFC Booster : INSIDE Booster is a patented,standards-compliant NFC technology that is deployed in a SIM card, which plugs into ordinary mobile phones to turn them into fully functional NFC-enabled handsets.

*.Virtual Wallet : Virtual Wallet is an architecture and a contactless interface with high-speed communication capabilities that access a secure element stored in the cloud to securely interact with a contactless POS. To learn more about this, click here.

*.NFC 2.0 : Near Field Communication (NFC) technology is evolving rapidly. NFC 2.0 provides a superior user experience, connection to the real world, and optimized integration. NFC 2.0 bridges the virtual world with the real world, opening opportunities to create significant new revenue streams.
Apple had already cross licensed this tech by selling their Embedded Security Solutions division to Inside Secure for $48 million.
Good luck with that if the iPhone's metal sim tray turns out to be a half decent faraday cage.

Maybe in the plastic budget phones this would work better.

Does Apple even allow iOS app API to access SIM card?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This point, for example.

Well, Apple have developed many technologies that other companies have piggy-backed on. Apple put in their cash and efforts into the MacBook Air, iPhone, and a load of other products, despite a lot of controversy. This isn't some exclusive thing; it's how technology works.

With certain parts of technology, everybody chips in. But just go back to see the whole DVD vs HD-DVD vs BlueRay and you'll see it's simply ridiculous to immediately invest R&D into a new technology, just because it's new. And if your format loses, you lose.

I'm not sure how else to simplify this, your argument is mind-boggling. No point in Apple investing in NFC because it's not standard. There's no point. It would be stupid for them to have put NFC in the 3GS, for instance. Nobody bloody uses NFC. If, gradually, more shops worldwide accepted the format, then Apple would.

What if something 10x better than NFC was introduced next week, and everybody suddenly used it? What then? Good technology has a habit of taking off really quickly.

I don't know how to reply or clarify this, it just seems obvious to me. As far as I'm concerned, NFC is a gimmick at this point, and you think Apple not implementing it until it's the right time is a bad thing?

Crazy.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA

Cool idea, but I can't see it working in practice. Who are seemingly the only guys more resistant to change in the telecom industry than Apple? The carriers. Who world need to start issuing the NFC SIM cards? The carriers. Next to no chance of any significant adoption.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Well, Apple have developed many technologies that other companies have piggy-backed on. Apple put in their cash and efforts into the MacBook Air, iPhone, and a load of other products, despite a lot of controversy. This isn't some exclusive thing; it's how technology works.

With certain parts of technology, everybody chips in. But just go back to see the whole DVD vs HD-DVD vs BlueRay and you'll see it's simply ridiculous to immediately invest R&D into a new technology, just because it's new. And if your format loses, you lose.

I'm not sure how else to simplify this, your argument is mind-boggling. No point in Apple investing in NFC because it's not standard. There's no point. It would be stupid for them to have put NFC in the 3GS, for instance.

I don't know how to reply or clarify this, it just seems obvious to me.

I think that you're not understanding what I'm asking or I can't explain it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This point, for example.

It isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. Sometimes Apple is among the first to adopt a technology (eg capacitive touchscreen, multi-touch, high-resolution smartphone screens). Other times they wait for technology to mature (3G, LTE, NFC). It doesn't always make sense to be a first mover. Being successful in a fast-moving industry like technology requires striking a balance. Push something out too quickly and you risk a poor user experience, security issues, or added cost. Wait too long and you risk losing customers. Neither Apple nor Samsung (the only two companies making serious money in mobile devices right now) are consistently first movers or late movers. Samsung tends to adopt certain technologies more quickly (wireless standards, NFC) but isn't always first and tends to use more conservative designs (eg they use simpler case designs such as polycarbonate throughout their product line). Apple has been an early adopter of mobile graphics technologies, has been more aggressive in customizing ARM chips, and pushes engineering and manufacturing design processes to their limits. On the other hand, they tend to wait for baseband, wireless protocol, and more ancillary technologies to mature.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. Sometimes Apple is among the first to adopt a technology (eg capacitive touchscreen, multi-touch, high-resolution smartphone screens). Other times they wait for technology to mature (3G, LTE, NFC). It doesn't always make sense to be a first mover. Being successful in a fast-moving industry like technology requires striking a balance. Push something out too quickly and you risk a poor user experience, security issues, or added cost. Wait too long and you risk losing customers. Neither Apple nor Samsung (the only two companies making serious money in mobile devices right now) are consistently first movers or late movers. Samsung tends to adopt certain technologies more quickly (wireless standards, NFC) but isn't always first and tends to use more conservative designs (eg they use simpler case designs such as polycarbonate throughout their product line). Apple has been an early adopter of mobile graphics technologies, has been more aggressive in customizing ARM chips, and pushes engineering and manufacturing design processes to their limits. On the other hand, they tend to wait for baseband, wireless protocol, and more ancillary technologies to mature.

Thanks for the answer.

Here lies one of the problems, I think people here tend to see that as Apple versus and I was not talking about Apple, Microsoft, Samsung or any company in particular, I was just talking about the concept.

I agree that there has to be a balance between being first and waiting to release so my astonishment when people bash companies for releasing a technology (the "chucking stuff on a wall to see what sticks." comment) and praising other for waiting.

JasonKnight

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
No NFC in the iPhone for now

Does this mean that iPhone 5S has NFC for sure?

There is not going to be any NFC Chip in the iPhone for now. The reason is lack of space for it, and the fact that Apple don't believe in NFC. Apple is betting on Bluetooth 4.0, also called Bluetooth Low Energy or Bluetooth Smart.

Bluetooth 4.0 can be used in the same way as NFC, but also in a lot of ways that NFC can not. Apple will therefore hold off on trying to incorporate a NFC chip in the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.