Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Hello everyone

I've been trying to move all our users at our office to be network users where anybody can just sit down and login at any workstation instead of being tied to specific workstations. I have Mountain Lion Server and followed a tutorial I found online. I've created test user account on the server. When I sit down at a workstation that I've configured to use the server for network accounts, I can log into the test account, but only when it's set to use "Local Only" as its home folder on the server. If I change to a "Home Folders" share point I created, the login fails with "an error occurred" which is not very informative. I'm not sure where I might be going wrong here. Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

carlosribas

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Hello everyone

I've been trying to move all our users at our office to be network users where anybody can just sit down and login at any workstation instead of being tied to specific workstations. I have Mountain Lion Server and followed a tutorial I found online. I've created test user account on the server. When I sit down at a workstation that I've configured to use the server for network accounts, I can log into the test account, but only when it's set to use "Local Only" as its home folder on the server. If I change to a "Home Folders" share point I created, the login fails with "an error occurred" which is not very informative. I'm not sure where I might be going wrong here. Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

I suppose you are using server.app, right? Check the settings of your File Sharing service. You must enable "Allow guest users to access this share" and "Make available for home directory". Hope this help.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I suppose you are using server.app, right? Check the settings of your File Sharing service. You must enable "Allow guest users to access this share" and "Make available for home directory". Hope this help.

Yes, those are both enabled.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Yes, I already am beyond everything in that tutorial. Right now, if I set network users to use "local only" from the server, then they can log in just fine from the workstations. I can see in the users directory that the workstation creates a new home folder for the logged in network user on the local drive.

However if I set the home folder to be on one of the share points, the login fails with the "because an error occurred". I checked the DNS settings on the server and they appear to be correct. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here, or even what to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.