Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to the iOS 7 beta, Apple is testing a new iPad mini model that includes an A6 chip -- the same as the current iPhone 5 -- and a non-retina display, reports 9to5Mac.

The information was sent to the site by developer Nick Frey, who found the details inside a file that lists all the iOS devices that support iOS 7. The A6 processor would be a logical upgrade for the iPad mini, advancing its main processing chip to the next generation.

NewImage9.png
According to the provided information, Apple is considering three new iPad mini models: iPad "2,8," iPad "2,9," and iPad "2,10." The respective code names for the devices are J75, J76, and J77. This points to one WiFi-only model and two cellular-compatible models (just like the current iPad minis).

[...]

As for what these new iPad minis will feature, the references state that the devices include the "s5l8950x" processor. This is the same A6 system-on-a-chip inside of Apple's iPhone 5, and this would offer significant speed improvements for the iPad mini compared to the current A5-based model.
Current iPad mini models are nicknamed '2,5'; '2,6'; and '2,7'. 9to5Mac also notes that the models don't include references to '@2x' code that relates to Retina-display supported artwork -- that code is included in the iPhone 5 and the fourth-generation iPad, leading the site to conclude that the new mini will not include a Retina display.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has vacillated in recent months over Apple's plans for the iPad mini, most recently saying that a Retina-equipped device would launch sometime in March or April of 2014, with Apple not planning to upgrade the device at all until that time.

It's possible that this non-retina iPad mini is merely a device in testing, but while Kuo has a strong track record, it's always possible that Apple could change product release plans at the last minute.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta Suggests Non-Retina A6-Powered iPad Mini in Development

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
And sadly, they will still sell more than the new Nexus 7. Sucks to be an Apple fan sometimes.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I like this because I won't hate mine as quickly as I would have if the new one was retina.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
That's just sad if the Nexus 7 will have a beautiful display an entire year before the Mini gets one in 2014.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
Can someone tell me if a retina ipad mini would have a higher ppi than the new nexus 7? That is if it has the same 2048x1536 resolution, but on the 7.9inch display..

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Release the kraken!

but seriously the way apple positioned ipad mini as underpowered than the full ipad is a bit disappointing. I know its all about marketing and product positioning, but still the ipad mini can be as productive as the full ipad.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Sad, SO SAD! The next Gen. iPad mini will be rubbish without retina!

It is sad. It is all about the economy of scales, I suppose. Apple sells how many minis each quarter? Asus doesn't have to produce as many Google Nexus 7, so they can go HD. Apple could produce a retina, but then it would be in smaller numbers, and it would always be sold out.

I think it sucks for Apple too; I don't think they don't want to give us a retina one. Look at what happened to the new iMac; Apple couldn't make enough of them because of shortage of the new laminated displays.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
How is it sad? A tablet is more than a display. More than hardware in general in fact.

The sad part is that iOS 7 looks like crap on a non-retina display. On iOS 6, this would no doubt be a very capable device, but with iOS 7 (which will be what it ships with)… not so much.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
If there is no retina mini I may just pick up a full size retina ipad.

I love my mini but I really want that retina display.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
The iPad Mini already uses a 32nm A5. Going to a 32nm A6 would be a more power hungry SoC. You'd think they'd at least go to a 28nm A6 shrink especially if their planning to make the iPad Mini even smaller as rumoured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.