Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Wondering if someone could answer a question about the 2009 Mac Mini Server - the one that came preinstalled with Snow Leopard Server.

I'm looking to reinstall one, I have the restore DVD's it came with, but I don't have a serial code anywhere.

I know that unlike Client, 10.6 Server requires a serial number, but does anyone know if these Mac Mini's need one? Or does restoring from the DVD take care of that?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I know that unlike Client, 10.6 Server requires a serial number, but does anyone know if these Mac Mini's need one? Or does restoring from the DVD take care of that?

I have a 2010 Mini Server at work that came with 10.6, and it did include a serial number in the documentation.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Serial Number

I am not running server but, my serial number displays under the Apple>about this Mac>more info..I don't see one on the Mac Mini, maybe it's inside

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I had one, I seem to remember the serial for the server was the serial of the computer plus something.

Perhaps on initial install, but the packaging included a serial number that is identical in format to retail Server software.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
These have a double whammy. The install DVDs only work on the mini (like other grey install DVDs) so can't be used on other Macs, unlike the retail server. The second whammy is you need the serial number when you do the install, so a fresh install on a clean disk will need the serial number.

Luckily SLS is available fairly inexpensively now, much less than the original $500! http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Server-Snow-Leopard/dp/B003JCPM04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375454207&sr=8-1&keywords=snow+leopard+server

Note -- as seen in my sig below, my mini now is using Mountain Lion + OS X Server, however it's the original Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server and ran as such for over 3 years.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Luckily SLS is available fairly inexpensively now, much less than the original $500!
You can get Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $19 but you need to call the online Apple store to get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.