Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm looking at the Eye-Fi, but is this the best option? I primarily want to transfer pics to my ipad right away, but being able to wirelessly transfer to my Mac a Mini, straight to iPhoto is something else I look forward to.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I found the Eye-Fi to be OK at best. Sometimes it was a hassle to get it to connect to their app and the range was limited. It is a good idea but the implementation is lacking.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I found the Eye-Fi to be OK at best. Sometimes it was a hassle to get it to connect to their app and the range was limited. It is a good idea but the implementation is lacking.

I'm not to worried about range, but I hate hearing about hassles connecting. Anyone have experience with other options? Thanks

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Not sure what you shoot, but here's my experience with Eye-Fi...

I can't use Eye-Fi on my Canon body though because I have already set it up for MagicLantern, and apparently they conflict.

I never got it work on my Oly E-PL1 body, but works flawlessly on my Oly E-PL3.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
When I mention range I had issues with a Nikon D70 and iPad 2 when they were a foot or two apart. With the D7000 I got it to work at 10 feet or so but moving in and out of range would cause issues. The may have resolved the reconnect issues - it has been over a year since I have messed with it.

While it isn't what you are looking for, I have found that the CamRanger works much better for my needs. As a result I haven't revisited the Eye-Fi. I'm not even sure where it is. =/

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
That's fine, I was just relating my experience with it. When it worked I liked it. Hopefully it has improved since then.

I know they have updated it to some extent. It originally didn't work with the D800 and they fixed that I believe.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Range is definitely a limitation. Don't expect to transmit much over 3-4m away, and forget about from a different room in the house. Reconnection is okay, I find I need to be in range and then fire off a couple of shots in the camera to wake the eye-fi connection up.

Images transmit quickly when the connection is solid. I only ever transmit jpeg files wirelessly. A raw file would take a fair while to transmit.

I've not used an eye-fi to try to connect to an iPad. I only use mine with my Nikon DSLR, wi-fi router and Mac. It is possible to cut out the wi-fi router and link the card direct to the Mac, but I've found that to be very unreliable.

I get very frustrated with the software insisting on having an internet connection to be able to change certain settings. I don't understand why that is a requirement.

They are cheap and cheerful, you get what you pay for. They work fine, just don't let your expectations exceed what they are capable of. You could say that to pack a tiny wi-fi transmitter inside a SD card is a major feat in itself!

As someone else already mentioned, if you want something more reliable with greater range, go with a CamRanger.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Eye-fi is terrible, but we don't have many options.

Works for slow and unreliable file transfers, but the experienced is marred by really poor applications design.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
agreed. I slide my Lexar class 10 SDXC card out of myE-M1 into my rMBP's reader and get a fast and reliable transfer. The E-M1 sets up its own network for communication with a smartphone app. I use wifi for remote control of the E-M1.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I'm looking at the Eye-Fi, but is this the best option? I primarily want to transfer pics to my ipad right away, but being able to wirelessly transfer to my Mac a Mini, straight to iPhoto is something else I look forward to.

I know it is not what you asked..but the sd card reader for the ipad would likely be a lot quicker and easier than using a wifi-card.
Once on your ipad they will photostream to your mini..

I looked at the wifi cards too and wasn't taken by any of them.
It is a slight pain to plug something in, but the reader is small and works well.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I picked up the Eye-Fi Pro 16GB on sale awhile back. As mentioned, it does have some flaws, but once you understand the settings and how the relate to each other it's not so bad.
When it finally starts working then it works quite well. I strongly recommend picking up the ShutterSnitch app, it works much better than the Eye-Fi App.
I can try an answer any questions you may have.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I picked up the Eye-Fi Pro 16GB on sale awhile back. As mentioned, it does have some flaws, but once you understand the settings and how the relate to each other it's not so bad.
When it finally starts working then it works quite well. I strongly recommend picking up the ShutterSnitch app, it works much better than the Eye-Fi App.
I can try an answer any questions you may have.

Agreed, I have two of them one for my camera, an older one I think it's class 6, 8GB, and I have the new 16GB class 10 one for my wife's camera. I have tried several combinations of how I have them set up. I used to have them go directly to my windows server, but now I have them go to my iPhone because it's 64GB and I don't have to keep worrying about space. Then I have a week to download the zip file from the eye.fi site if I want them on my server also.

I could use send them to dropbox or some other app to store them if I want, but I am content with this. I think the EyeFi cards work great. I like that I never have to delete pictures from the SD card as long as I sync it with my phone every once in a while.

elixe.

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2013
orange county.
Before I got my 6d I was using an Eye-Fi. Depending on your phone it can be a hassle to get the pictures. Before upgrading to a newer phone I had issues connecting/transferring. But after I upgraded to a 4s *at the time* it was a lot better/easier to transfer.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Before I got my 6d I was using an Eye-Fi. Depending on your phone it can be a hassle to get the pictures. Before upgrading to a newer phone I had issues connecting/transferring. But after I upgraded to a 4s *at the time* it was a lot better/easier to transfer.

Another thing for users to look at is the compatibility with their camera. http://support.eye.fi/cameras/

My Canon SD800 has no issues at all, my Canon PowerShot G1 X has a little bit of issues, but we manage to get it to work ok now using direct mode. Before it would keep stopping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.