Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Is this possible? If I buy the latest iPod touch and install Talkatone to use my google voice account, is it basically an IPhone 5 without the contract???

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I don't think the iPod touch has a proximity sensor and you'll be limited to making calls according to your wifi reception, i.e. when you have it. Yes it can work, for some, maybe you, it's been done. And discussed. Repeatedly.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Is this possible? If I buy the latest iPod touch and install Talkatone to use my google voice account, is it basically an IPhone 5 without the contract???

nope. its still an ipod touch. one that can make and receive calls on wifi.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes this will work... And pretty well, IF you can live with the (only) wifi connection. If you are around wifi when you want to take or make a call or text, all will work well. If you can't be around wifi, then the experience is less. One solution: a Mifi device, so you can take your emergency backup wifi anywhere. Turn it on when you need it and that works very well.

Suggestion: ipad mini with LTE. That's still portable and, effectively, has the " Mifi" built right in. I use that with talkatone and earbuds with microphone and all works very well.

Last edited:

creincke

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Additional Question about iPod Touch 5

I am considering getting a Touch 5 to use for phone with Talkatone over WIFI at home, and a Mobile Hotspot when not at home. Can anyone tell me if calls are always on speakersphone with the Touch 5, unless you are using a headphone or a Bluetooth device? Is it possible that there is a setting that will allow you to hear and talk as on a Smartphone without the use of a headset?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I am considering getting a Touch 5 to use for phone with Talkatone over WIFI at home, and a Mobile Hotspot when not at home. Can anyone tell me if calls are always on speakersphone with the Touch 5, unless you are using a headphone or a Bluetooth device? Is it possible that there is a setting that will allow you to hear and talk as on a Smartphone without the use of a headset?

There is no 'ear speaker' on an iPod Touch so you can either have speakerphone or a line out or a head set.

I do think it can pair to a bluetooth headset as well but I'm just stretching.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!

The iPod touch has a speaker on the bottom edge and a microphone near the camera, so I make phone calls on mine sometimes by holding it upside down with the screen facing out, so the speaker is near my ear and the microphone is near my mouth. It's a little awkward but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.