Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Welcome to this weeks photo contest thread!

Theme:

Be it a creative use of natural light or an interesting shot involving flash or multiple flashes I would be interested to see your interpretation of creative light.

Rules:

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
attachment.php

Attachments

• _BBB2133-Edit-Edit3.png
    _BBB2133-Edit-Edit3.png
    426.7 KB · Views: 919

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I just ran the Glow Run 5k here last night, so I figured one of the shots I snagged after the race would do fairly well for this contest.

wfQHX2i.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Just one day left! So if you have an inkling that you might have a photo that fits the brief then go for it!

Even if you don't think it compares to the great shots that have been submitted it's a good opportunity to get some feedback on your work if you want it!

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have posted this before but since I dont have anything else that fits the theme as I shoot with ambient light most of the time. This is my first attempt as both astrophotography and light painting the trees.

_DSC0193.jpg by dspector32, on Flickr

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I guess I can post this here too ;) . Put it in the photo of the day thread, but noticed the theme of this contest.

Was a night Motocross picture, featuring remote flash, sunset, and a lit Ferris wheel

img_2626 (2).jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not had a chance to do much shooting lately. Then saw the way the sunlight was coming through our window and thought I finally have a picture for the creative lighting thread.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Right, contest is closed.

Will have the results up in a short while.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006

Great shot. Love the use of creative lighting which totally fits in with the subject matter. The ethereal feeling is really aided by the blown out sky. One thing I would mention is the white triangular object bottom right.

I don't know your stance on post work but I would burn it out.

Black Days / White Nights

Very surreal portrait. Whilst overall I like the concept and execution the thing that puts me off a little is the post work on the face, particularly the right hand side. Things like the eyebrow being slightly darker and the cheek being slightly brighter.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution to offer but that's what stuck out to me.

An interesting shot. To me it seems quite tight and I would have liked a little more space above the crane and below the tires.

The wires from the flash, I assume, are visible under the car and the green flash spills off under the car as well. Not sure where the bluey/red highlight comes from on the front left of the car but I would have tried to get rid of that.

Hydrangea lit up by a camping headlamp.

p679241381-5.jpg

Lovely shot. At first I thought it was a CG image as it has a really 'unreal' look to it. I love the different tones and the the light is metered very well. Composition is nice as well. My only suggestion would be to burn the background on the right as some of the petals are a little distracting.

playing with an LED panel ...

A nice little lighting experiment. From looking at other 'alcohol' pictures I noticed that the lighting seems to be a two light setup and more front on.

stella_artois.jpg

I reckon this might be a two light shot (key to the left, fill to the right). I think it is important to get the light onto the front of the logo as if you are going for the advertising style image then it's important to sell the brand.

Skin softening is too much for me. A moody shot with a good catchlight in the subjects eyes. Lighting contrast is a little too much for me as the blacks have been totally crushed. Not sure about the slight angle of the subject although it might have been to accommodate the text.

In terms of posing the model. If they had arched their back a little more it would have got rid of the roll in the stomach area which is a little distracting.

I just ran the Glow Run 5k here last night, so I figured one of the shots I snagged after the race would do fairly well for this contest.

wfQHX2i.jpg

A nice glow! I realise with these sort of shots it's difficult to get the perfect shot but the two figures either side are a little distracting. The photo is also on a slight tilt.

It's a pity there wasn't a little more ambient light to just fill in their faces and eyes especially. A nice surreal image though.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel T2i
Exposure: 10"
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 28 mm
ISO Speed: 100

A nice light painting scene. I would say the light feathering around the mushroom is a little too tight and it might have been nice to have the key light a little bit more front on.

I like the addition of the coloured lights behind. What did you use?

I might have cropped into the subjects a little more to get rid of some of the negative space to the right and above.

I have posted this before but since I dont have anything else that fits the theme as I shoot with ambient light most of the time. This is my first attempt as both astrophotography and light painting the trees.

_DSC0193.jpg by dspector32, on Flickr

Overall the shot is a bit too dark for me. I have literally only taken 3-4 attempts at astrophotography and each time I have really enjoyed overexposing the scene a little to really show off the stars. If it's something that you are interested in pursuing maybe try out some star stacking images showing the rotation of the earth!

Just as an example here are two shots that I have taken.

Everything Around Us by acearchie, on Flickr

France Star Trail by acearchie, on Flickr

In terms of the light painting I would have liked to see a few more of the background trees brighter rather than the foreground leaves as they aren't particularly sharp.

I guess I can post this here too ;) . Put it in the photo of the day thread, but noticed the theme of this contest.

Was a night Motocross picture, featuring remote flash, sunset, and a lit Ferris wheel

View attachment 426882

Nice capture. However, for me the composition is wrong. The left of the frame is too busy and the right too empty. Being an event I am sure that it's difficult to get to the 'perfect' location but I would have tried to get more to the left to frame the ferris wheel on the left and the biker more front on on the right.

Also in the future it would be nice to add another flash and get a backlight to separate the subject from the BG a bit more.

Corner of the roof of the Reichstag in Berlin, shot on a D200

berlin06©SimeonJones_1 by simbojono, on Flickr

Compositionally there is quite a lot of empty space. By cropping in from the bottom you would be able to get rid of some of the black on the left and right.

Not entirely sure why the light source is included in this shot as for me it doesn't really add anything for me.

Not had a chance to do much shooting lately. Then saw the way the sunlight was coming through our window and thought I finally have a picture for the creative lighting thread.

I like the guesswork associated with this image. The light is varied and interesting and and I like to find different shapes. It almost looks a but like a computer generated sound wave. Nice shot.

Shot a Stanford DE a while back. Used multiple strobes.

Emanuel by Bhupesh Patel Photography, on Flickr

A nice edgy portrait. It might have been nice to have a little more detail on the bottom left of the subject as the strong rim light causes the light on the arm to make it into a bit of an odd shape. I think it's a pity that we are missing a catchlight in the pupil of the eye and I'm not sure why there isn't one?

Did you mask the subject onto that circular gradient BG? If so I think I can see a few little odd bits. If not then I'm not sure what they are!

All in all a lot of good and interesting entries that hopefully made people think a little bit outside of the box.

In reverse order here are the winners.

3rd: Apple fanboy

2nd: JDDavis

1st: AlexH

It was very tight between the top two but I liked that way that AlexH used the lighting that was available naturally to match the theme of the photo.

Over to AlexH for the next contest.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Very surreal portrait. Whilst overall I like the concept and execution the thing that puts me off a little is the post work on the face, particularly the right hand side. Things like the eyebrow being slightly darker and the cheek being slightly brighter.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution to offer but that's what stuck out to me.

I toyed with that for SO long, but ultimately by changing the shading on the right it looked like the face had been photoshopped after/unnaturally well sync'd.

Fantastic judging by acearchie as always! Congrats to AlexH!

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Acearchie thanks you your comments and for a fantastic job in judging. AlexH Congrats on the win. I really love these contests and I cant wait for next weeks.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
An interesting shot. To me it seems quite tight and I would have liked a little more space above the crane and below the tires.

The wires from the flash, I assume, are visible under the car and the green flash spills off under the car as well. Not sure where the bluey/red highlight comes from on the front left of the car but I would have tried to get rid of that.
Thanks for the critique.

I agree that it is a little tight. Unfortunately there isn't any more on the bottom of the frame. I also felt that as I opened up the top the car lost some of its weight and focus. Maybe if I made the crop even tighter it would help balance it out some? I've attached a quick Paint crop as a sample. I dunno but I like the colors in the print so I will be revisiting it.

The wires are part of the car. There is no engine and the guts are hanging free. It is an old movie prop car. There are bullet holes running down the driver's side. I believe it was used in "Gangster Squad" but I'm not positive on this one.

The green light is intentional but not as effective as desired. All of the lighting is handheld using a ProtoMachines flashlight. I was just using the default colors that night: yellow from camera right, gold from camera left, cyan and lime from behind the car. I also skimmed the ground with I believe the tungsten setting. The background is lit by the full Moon.

The blue may have been an attempt to get some "night feel." It isn't as distracting on an 8x12 test print I made. I might try a localized hue and saturation adjustment to knock it down a bit.

Of the half dozen or so shots this was the one that worked the best. Still not 100% what I wanted but a fun shoot none-the-less. There was still so much to see/shoot that I didn't want to spend the whole night on one car. :)

Attachments

• _BBB2133-Edit-Edit3.png
    _BBB2133-Edit-Edit3.png
    358.6 KB · Views: 154

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
A lot of great photos this week! Thanks for the critique and chance to get the next contest going, acearchie!

I'll try to have it up this evening or in the morning.

As for the critique, I agree with you about the odd triangular object, it should be fixed. I was lazy in post.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for the comments Ace and great job judging. I don't take a lot of flash photography but this backyard experiment was fun. I'll definitly take a look at the background. I have several similar images but the light is different on each. I had the camera set up for a long exposure on a remote and I never changed the settings. I just varied the amount of time I held the headlamp under the flower.

Congrats AlexH...I really enjoyed your photo as well.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
A nice light painting scene. I would say the light feathering around the mushroom is a little too tight and it might have been nice to have the key light a little bit more front on.

I like the addition of the coloured lights behind. What did you use?

I might have cropped into the subjects a little more to get rid of some of the negative space to the right and above.

I see what you are saying. I agree the 'shroom could use a bit more breathing room, so to speak. The trails in the background are just a string of xmas lights that i slowly moved up and down during the length of the exposure.

There was still so much to see/shoot that I didn't want to spend the whole night on one car. :)

Doesnt look too familiar to me, but would love to know if these were shot in, or near Vegas? This wasnt out at Nelsons Landing was it?

Some great shots posted as usual. Well done all around. :)

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Doesnt look too familiar to me, but would love to know if these were shot in, or near Vegas? This wasnt out at Nelsons Landing was it?

I depends on what you consider near Vegas. ;)

The cab was shot in a junkyard in southern California. There was way too much to take in over three nights.

Nelson has some great cars but it is getting too touristy these days. It is starting to lose some of its charm.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I like the guesswork associated with this image. The light is varied and interesting and and I like to find different shapes. It almost looks a but like a computer generated sound wave. Nice shot.

All in all a lot of good and interesting entries that hopefully made people think a little bit outside of the box.

In reverse order here are the winners.

3rd: Apple fanboy

2nd: JDDavis

1st: AlexH

It was very tight between the top two but I liked that way that AlexH used the lighting that was available naturally to match the theme of the photo.

Over to AlexH for the next contest.

Wow I can't believe I made the top three! Not sure I should really be there considering the other competitors. Thanks for the taking the time with everybody's feedback. It's always good to hear other peoples point of view.
Congrats to AlexH. I like this shot a lot and have tried that sort of thing in the past but never quite got the settings right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.