Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I don't see any comments on the I5 27s. Are there problems with these? is the I5 powerful enough for the screen? Would you suggest "Don't Buy" ?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I am sure they are run fine based on the reviews that can be found out on the web. Not quite as fast as the i7 of course but they still get the the job done.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I don't see any comments on the I5 27s. Are there problems with these? is the I5 powerful enough for the screen? Would you suggest "Don't Buy" ?

The i5 is a powerful processor, the 27" screen poses no challenge to it what so ever. Besides, the screen burden falls to the GPU, of which all the offerings in the 27" line-up are very capable of handling the 27" screen.

You don't see many reviews because of likely purchasing patterns. Most iMacs are sold in a 21" i5 entry model config with few if any options. When you get into the pricier 27" models, buyers generally will add more options because they've already committed to a substantial price increase. With the options being a smaller increase proportionately over the base price. So many of the 27" are likely sold as i7's.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
My daily driver iMac is an i5 model from 2009 (2.66GHz, 16GB, etc.) I use it 8-10 hours a day, five days a week, as a high-end print designer. Think InDesign files that are hundreds of megabytes in size, along with all the giant Photoshop files, complex Illustrator images, etc.

The limitations I run into are more about memory—even the comparatively ancient i5 I have is more than enough horsepower for a heavy-duty workflow. If you're buying a new Mac now, I would worry less about the processor since they're all going to be "fast enough" for almost all uses, and concentrate on the other systems, particular the internal storage and memory, to make sure they are up to what you intend to use the machine for.

Last edited:

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK

I have the I5 27 inch late 2012 iMac (see my signature).

I find it runs very smooth. I was a Windows user before getting this iMac (was a Windows user for 10 years). All I will say is, its the fastest, smoothest running computer I've owned.

I use my iMac for video editing, photo editing, video conversion, internet, email, burning cds dvds. It does all of these tasks with ease :)

I had looked at the I7 but for my uses it would be an overkill, and decided that the extra cost and the limited benefits I would see of the I7 would be put to better use in getting the Fusion Drive, which is something I would see the benefit of on a daily basis.

I would suggest buy :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If you need a system buy it. The question is more of what are you going to be using the system for that you are worried about the graphics performance? And the i7 only matter for a few specific uses, otherwise an i5 is more than enough. You may not be doing anything that requires more than a base 27" i5 w/fusion drive with the 660M.

For what I use my system for, right now I would buy the 27" i5, 1tb fusion drive with 680MX graphics. But that's fits my needs. And actually if it is available, there is a refurbished i7 w/680MX and 1TB fusion that costs less than a new 27" i5 w/680MX and 1TB fusion that I would opt for since it would be less money.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Have a 3.2 i5 and happy as could be

Hello. I just bought a 27 i5 3.2ghz 1Tb Fusion and I love it. I'm coming from a late 2006 iMac 2ghz Core2Duo with 2 Ram and 160HD. Needless to say the new iMac works perfectly for me. I'm a much enthusiast photographer so I use a lot Aperture, Lightroom and DxO Pro. Before: 45-70 seconds for medium light treatment and up to 1 minute wait in exporting Jpeg. Beachball running. Now: instantaneous, instantaneous and instantaneous. iMac boots in less than 15 seconds and apps open in a flash. Take time to weigh your needs though.
Bonne journée

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I've had the late 2012 iMac 2.9GHz Core i5 model since the end of January and I am very happy with this computer. I have the base model and I find it runs superbly, so I would definitely recommend it to others who are interested in this version.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I had a 2009 i5 27" and now I have a 2011 i5 27". I use it for photo editing in Lightroom (and sometimes Photoshop). I also do Handbrake conversions accassionally. I never feel (felt) I have too little processing power.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
I have the i5 3.2 version, and it's still lovely as ever performance wise. I also got the 680 graphics and fusion drive, if that is important.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Beside heavy cpu video encoding or rendering, which the imac isn't the best choice, the i5 is a great cpu. The lack of hyperthreading is what really differenciate it from the i7. But for most use the i5 is a nice processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.