Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sprint_logo-250x124.jpg
Sprint revealed today in its Q2 2013 results that it had sold 1.4 million iPhones last quarter, with 41% of those iPhones being sold to new customers. The company announced an 8% overall year-over-year growth, posting a record high revenue of $8 billion. This holds steady when compared to the 1.4 million iPhones it sold in the year-ago quarter. Sprint also announced LTE networks in 41 new markets, bringing its total LTE locations to 151 markets.
Eighty-six percent of quarterly Sprint platform postpaid handset sales were smartphones, including approximately 1.4 million iPhones® sold during the quarter. Forty-one percent of iPhone sales were to new customers.
In 2011, Sprint committed to buying $20 billion worth of iPhones from Apple, and launched the iPhone on its prepaid Virgin Mobile USA brand in the year-ago quarter.

Article Link: Sprint Sells 1.4 Million iPhones in Q2 2013, 41% to New Customers

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
the $20B commitment seems extravagant and beyond reason

edit--
the article does not stipulate until when the $20B in iphones should me completed

Last edited:

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
And to think that last quarter sales probably didn't make a big difference. That's like what, 900 million dollars worth of iPhones? Or no?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Sprint pretty much had to agree to Apple's terms and carry the iPhone. They were churning customers like crazy before they got it. They seem to be doing better now.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
There's a sucker born every minute. I can't believe people are willing to deal with a slow network, just to save a few dollars. Pathetic.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Can you believe that some people have to deal with a slow network???

The horror!

There's even people on this planet that don't have adequate shelter, running water or a warm meal! It's like... "It's 2013. C'mon get with the times dude!"

The nerve of those less fortunate!

/s

briankwest77

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
There's a sucker born every minute. I can't believe people are willing to deal with a slow network, just to save a few dollars. Pathetic.

I have LTE on Sprint, its NICE... I average over 15mbit most times and as high as 25mbit. Their LTE plans will solve many of their speed issues and should be mostly complete by the end of 2014, 1xAdvanced carrier on 800mhz, 5x5mhz LTE on 800mhz, this should give them better in building voice and data services and fill in many of the coverage gaps sprint suffers from. I hope the next iPhone is Tri-Band LTE on Sprint.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado

Yup but the even better deal wood be T-mobile because if you live in a good area you can actually have LTE, sprints LTE is non-existent in Denver which is strange because AT&T rolled out 1 year ago, Verizon 2 years ago, T-mobile 3 months ago, Meanwhile we have sprint eating glue right now.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Sprint lte is actually respectable in my area. Or at least the speed test I ran on my buddies phone was. The problem arises when you leave lte coverage :p

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
Sprint lte is actually respectable in my area. Or at least the speed test I ran on my buddies phone was. The problem arises when you leave lte coverage :p

How far can you actually go before you leave LTE coverage? Meaning are there a lot of holes or is it pretty consistent?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I have LTE on Sprint, its NICE... I average over 15mbit most times and as high as 25mbit. Their LTE plans will solve many of their speed issues and should be mostly complete by the end of 2014, 1xAdvanced carrier on 800mhz, 5x5mhz LTE on 800mhz, this should give them better in building voice and data services and fill in many of the coverage gaps sprint suffers from. I hope the next iPhone is Tri-Band LTE on Sprint.

Dream on. LTE won't be mostly complete by the end of 2014.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Yup but the even better deal wood be T-mobile because if you live in a good area you can actually have LTE, sprints LTE is non-existent in Denver which is strange because AT&T rolled out 1 year ago, Verizon 2 years ago, T-mobile 3 months ago, Meanwhile we have sprint eating glue right now.

In a lot of areas, like mine in Cleveland, they are completely rebuild the towers. ATT, VZW, TM all just did a few upgrades to get their towers running on LTE. They will have to go back at some point a do major upgrades. Sprint is taking longer, but doing it right. The issue is they have to work with local governments for every tower upgrade. Once they have LTE here, I plan to move to them...

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
In a lot of areas, like mine in Cleveland, they are completely rebuild the towers. ATT, VZW, TM all just did a few upgrades to get their towers running on LTE. They will have to go back at some point a do major upgrades. Sprint is taking longer, but doing it right. The issue is they have to work with local governments for every tower upgrade. Once they have LTE here, I plan to move to them...

Still if I were with sprint I would rather have some LTE coverage than nothing at all and wait until they as ready.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
the $20B commitment seems extravagant and beyond reason

edit--
the article does not stipulate until when the $20B in iphones should me completed
The original deal was for 4 years. And if I recall correctly, it was quoted as $15Bil, not $20Bil.

Here's a link where Dan Hesse (Sprint's CEO) describes the deal as $15.5 Billion. Shame on Macrumors for calling it a $20Bil deal.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
How far can you actually go before you leave LTE coverage? Meaning are there a lot of holes or is it pretty consistent?

I've only seen it in that one location. But the owner said he gets lte all around here which is funny. Though signal strength isnt the best. Cape Canaveral area usually isn't on the hit list for new phone tech and it seems sprint went here before some pretty major areas.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
The 41% made a mistake! I've been on Sprint for a few years now and still no beloved LTE in NJ. Only in like 2 cities out of the whole state and I'm pretty sure 1 city is getting that signal from Staten Island, NY :(

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

Yup. It's slow alright.

photo.png

----------

I get coverage in basically all the areas I go to, which ranges from mid NH, to southern MA, to CT, and southern ME.

The only times I don't have coverage in those areas are the mountains of CT, and backroad areas that I don't ever stop to use my phone at. Other than that, I have 4G in all areas.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Yup. It's slow alright.

View attachment 425725

----------

I get coverage in basically all the areas I go to, which ranges from mid NH, to southern MA, to CT, and southern ME.

The only times I don't have coverage in those areas are the mountains of CT, and backroad areas that I don't ever stop to use my phone at. Other than that, I have 4G in all areas.

Yeah, one fluke test shows how great Sprint is, right? Maintain that up and down the coast. I can do that with AT&T and VZW

Stop lying. What a joke. I'm from the area. There is zero LTE in NH, Maine, and VT. In fact, not even one LTE site has been accepted up there to go live.

Even in MA, 54% of sites have been LTE accepted. There are holes in major areas of the city here. No way you are getting "4G everywhere"

I'm not surprised Sprint fans have resorted to lying to make themselves feel better about making a horrible choice on their carrier.

Last edited:

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Yeah, one fluke test shows how great Sprint is, right? Maintain that up and down the coast. I can do that with AT&T and VZW

Stop lying. What a joke. I'm from the area. There is zero LTE in NH, Maine, and VT. In fact, not even one LTE site has been accepted up there to go live.

Even in MA, 54% of sites have been LTE accepted. There are holes in major areas of the city here. No way you are getting "4G everywhere"

I'm not surprised Sprint fans have resorted to lying to make themselves feel better about making a horrible choice on their carrier.

It's not a fluke test if it's basically all of New England. I also get great service in Nashville, but I haven't gone to much else of the coast.

Also I've never been to VT, but I'm not lying. I get LTE almost all the time.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
i'm amazed to see that a carrier like sprint can sell 1.4M iphones in a quarter.

Actually, 1.4 million represents their worst quarter ever, since they started selling iPhones. They've done 1.5 million 4 times, 1.8 million once, and 2.2 million is their record (iPhone 5 intro quarter).

ft

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
Actually, 1.4 million represents their worst quarter ever, since they started selling iPhones. They've done 1.5 million 4 times, 1.8 million once, and 2.2 million is their record (iPhone 5 intro quarter).

ft

that explains it!:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.