Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Canalys has for the first time found that non-iOS tablets have surpassed the iPad in global market share. While Apple still holds the biggest market share by a single manufacturer with 42.7%, tablets from Samsung, Amazon, Lenovo, Acer and others have combined to pass the company in total market share with a combined 57.3% of the tablet market. This compares to the year-ago quarter where Apple held 71.2% of the tablet market share, compared to other manufacturers who combined for 28.9% of the market. In total, worldwide tablet shipments grew to 34.2 million tablets in Q2 2013, up from 23.9 million in the year-ago quarter.

canalys_tablet_chart.jpg
Apple's decline in shipments and share has been partly attributed to its aging portfolio. But Canalys believes that new product launches will have less impact on its shipments in future. 'When Apple does decide to refresh its iPad range it will not experience the buzz of previous launches,' said Canalys Analyst James Wang. 'Tablets are now mainstream products and hardware innovation is increasingly difficult. With branded Android tablets available for less than $150, the PC market has never been so good for consumers, who are voting with their wallets.' The move to smaller tablets has sparked a price war that has real consequences for the entire supply chain. These products generate little absolute margin for channel partners, vendors or component manufacturers. Content, applications and accessories (especially cases and keyboards) are now even more important to boost margins - areas where Apple remains a leader.
While Canalys saw Apple's share of the tablet market fall below 50% for the first time during the second quarter of 2013, other studies have shown that the milestone was passed earlier. For example, IDC showed Apple falling to 43.6% back in the fourth quarter of 2012. Difficulties in tracking actual sales and shipment, particularly with respect to generic devices sold in emerging markets, frequently lead to wide disparities in results from various firms.

Also unclear is what many of these non-Apple tablets are being used for, as web usage statistics have consistently shown the iPad dominating the market.

Apple is expected to refresh the iPad line as soon as next month, with the release of a fifth-generation iPad that is said to be lighter and thinner than previous models, and a new iPad mini that is likely to have a high-resolution Retina display.

Article Link: Another Study Shows Non-iOS Tablets Surpassing iPad in Global Market Share

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
If my memory recalls, Q2 of 2012 had the iPad 3 release while Q2 of 2013 had no iPad release. Its no question why iPad shipments are down. If in iPad 5 was released spring 2013, we would probably be seeing different numbers.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
In all fairness it's going to happen eventually.

Also, this year is the first year there hasn't been a new iPad released in the first half.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
This will only push Apple more. This is a good thing. They weren't doing much. the iPad Mini with specs similar to an iPad 2 isn't enough.

Hopefully we will see a nice iPad Mini with Retina and good specs for the next unveil.

This is good for all tablet users of any market. This competition will only bring us better prices and features.

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Also unclear is what many of these non-Apple tablets are being used for, as web usage statistics have consistently shown the iPad dominating the market.

Article Link: Another Study Shows Non-iOS Tablets Surpassing iPad in Global Market Share

These non-iPad tablets aren't being used. They are bought because they are popular and end up collecting dusk. You know iPad users are using iPads. Other tablet owners just like owning tablets.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It makes sense that the low end was going to fill in eventually - as we saw with smartphones. It's not a space Apple likely wants to compete in, though.

I'm guessing most of us wouldn't recognize most of the brands that fall under "other", and probably will never see them in the wild.

My1stMacWasLisa

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
When the analyst says
"the PC market has never been so good for consumers"
surely he means the "POST PC market" as Jobs already pointed out.

PC sales are declining rapidly and will never recover their previous levels. Tablets are projected to overtake PC sales as early as end of next year. People who never needed a PC in the first place are turning to consumer electronic devices like tablets for their needs (facebook, ebay, amazon, browsing, music movies).

Joe Public never needed an Alan Turing general computing device like a PC. But now thanks to Apple and everyone who followed their lead, Joe Public now has that consumer electronic device.

It's a post PC world.

Think back to that day in January 2010 and how they laughed when Steve said "This is a Magical and Revolutionary device". Well the Revolution happened, who's laughing now.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Apple needs to change the rste of updates to their lines.The market is growing far fasterthan apple is. Unlike the ipod craze apple has real competition this time around

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Browser

Most android users "disguise" their browsers as chrome-desktop, safari-desk...-also iPad users that don't use safari do that a lot, so web traffic numbers may be misleading.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Or profit share. Amazon sells Kindle Fires at a loss and Google sells at cost. How long can companies compete on zero or negative profit?

Luckily for Apple, they still have the most/best content, but that could change based on the ebook ruling.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Or profit share. Amazon sells Kindle Fires at a loss and Google sells at cost. How long can companies compete on zero or negative profit?

Luckily for Apple, they still have the most/best content, but that could change based on the ebook ruling.

Amazon isn't competing very well... 1.5 million tablets out of 34 million tablets. But the Kindle Fire was just to get people to shop at Amazon... the device itself doesn't have to make money.

I don't know what will come from the ebook ruling. Apple devices have a pretty sizable installed base and appeal. It would be fooling for content companies to pull away from Apple... so I doubt that will happen.

The consumer might not notice any difference... but Apple might not get to keep their 30% or something.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
These non-iPad tablets aren't being used. They are bought because they are popular and end up collecting dusk. You know iPad users are using iPads. Other tablet owners just like owning tablets.

Guess what though? That doesn't matter. This is about sales.

Further - all the wishful thinking in the world doesn't make your statement valid. The only thing that has been shown is that iOS users use the internet a lot.

Last I checked - tablets do more than go online.

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona

Works the other way too. I returned my iPad 4th Gen due to lack of use. Laptop habits die hard.

But for $229 I have no problems occasionally using the Nexus 7 2nd Gen. I actually find myself using it more because its small and light and perfect for reading.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
With those numbers I'd expect to see more Android tablets on people's hand... Which I don't.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Even Microsoft only held onto their greater than 50% market share of computing platforms for only a quarter century:

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-29%20at%2012.35.25%20PM.png

Apple had a good 3 year run, and it looks like they're actually still on top if you weight computing platforms by mobility and being actually used on the internet.

waltand07

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Apple has got this all under control. My guess is the 2014 iPhone 6 will resemble the iPad mini. The low cost iPhone is the beginning of a new chapter for apple. They will make a low cost iPad mini in 2014.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
You know iPad users are using iPads. Other tablet owners just like owning tablets.

I wonder how many non-Apple tablets are given as gifts. There are probably a lot of people who would like to get or give an iPad but don't want to spend the money, so they think an Android tablet will be good enough. The person who gets that tablet as a gift uses it for a short time, doesn't like it and then just sticks it on a shelf.

And if that's the case, I wonder how many of those same people will then never get an iPad, thinking it's the same as an Android tablet.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!

Source?
I know plenty of people who use nexus and kindle tablets regularly.

----------

I wonder how many non-Apple tablets are given as gifts. There are probably a lot of people who would like to get or give an iPad but don't want to spend the money, so they think an Android tablet will be good enough. The person who gets that tablet as a gift uses it for a short time, doesn't like it and then just sticks it on a shelf.

And if that's the case, I wonder how many of those same people will then never get an iPad, thinking it's the same as an Android tablet.

Why do you just assume that iPads are far superior to android tablets? In many cases it's the other way round.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.