Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donia330i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Hey, not sure if this is the right place for this.

I'm looking to get a wireless portable speaker. I have narrowed it down to these two. Does anyone have an experience with these? Which one is better? What are the pros and cons of both? Thanks!

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
My UE Boom is absolutely incredible. I have not used the Soundlink, but I have used the UE Mobile Boombox, Jawbone Jambox, and the JBL Flip. The UE Boom BY FAR has the best sound of them all. It also gets LOUD without distortion. Not the greatest bass output, but that's to be expected with it's footprint.

It also has the best implementation of bluetooth out of all the devices listed. Just an overall awesome device.

(I do not work for Logitech/UE, just really pleased with my purchase)

Reactions: cdcastillo

Andyyyy

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
I have the Soundlink Mini and think its incredible. The bass response is really amazing for such a small speaker. I think the UE Boom is more for if you're planning on using it outside and taking it to different places. The soundlink is more for if you're planning on leaving it on your desk or in the home I would imagine. Both seem like awesome little speakers. Just my two cents

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Hey, yea I checkd out that review. I'm still undecided..... Do you have any more input? I love the design of the UE and the Bluetooth integration but Bose has top quality sound.

They both sound really great, but the UE Boom sounds brighter with clearer vocals compared to the SoundLink Mini's bassier and much warmer sound signature. That about sums up the difference in audio quality. If battery life is important to you, the UE Boom's battery literally lasts forever. But if you want a complete sound experience, I think the SoundLink Mini is a better choice.

Andyyyy

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
the other thing that made me buy the soundlink over the boom is that the charging port on the boom is on the bottom side. thus, it is unable to charge and be connected to a computer at the same time (which is how i mainly use it).

xjacobx

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Being able to link 2 UE Boom's together for a surround sound/more full sound is amazing. Plus the longer battery life & wider bluetooth range (50 ft vs Bose's 30) is all I need. Logitech > Bose.

astoxos

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
No way, the Pill isn't good at all. Boom & Bose are much better. Even the $99 JBL Flip is better than the pill, and half the price.

A couple of smartphones have better performance than iphone and they are cheaper as well. Iphone is still considered as a better option.

Jeff77

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Stick with Bose but bypass the mini.

The Mini is good for its size, but the soundlink II is AMAZING regardless and its not that much bigger. I got mine after reading this review: Bose Soundlink II vs. Big Jambox and its not let me down once. :cool:

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I'm actually in the process of selling my bose soundlink 2 to get a UE Boom.

The bose soundlink 2 sounds really really good however for my uses and the overall functionality I think I'd be happier with the UE BOOM.

Battery life, portability, functionality at the cost of slightly reduced sound quality. It'll be fore outside anyhow

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
The Bose sounds great but the Boom isn't far behind at all to a point it's not noticeable to most people. The Boom has twice the battery life, a mic and speakerphone, is water resistant, comes with a really nice carrying case, has apps for the iPhone, charges by usb, 360 degree sound. It's just a lot more useful if you travel a lot of work or pleasure but especially for work. The Bose has a silly high priced case, charges by a dock or ac adapter, has no mic or speakerphone, no apps.
Keep in mind that review sites are interested in ad dollars and Bose advertises a lot.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Im shopping for one of these now and am leaning towards the ue boom despite the noticeable sound difference (ive never bought into Bose before but the soundlink mini is truly like whoah incredible for that size)

The reasons being water-resistance/durability and the ability to use it as a speakerphone.

I just need to see if i can handle the, what i perceive to be anyway, noticeable difference in sound quality. From what i gather the UE Boom is the next closest in sound quality but the difference to me is like "this sounds loud and not too bad" UE Boom to "whoah!" W/the Bose

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Kind of an interesting note. The manual for the bose says the battery lasts 12 hours guess its a typo

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
i almost wish i hadnt heard the bose because the UE is the more practical speaker purchase in every way except... um, sound.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I've had the boombox for about a month now and I've been really impressed with the sound. I tried a few of them out (even the BOSE) because I was looking for something with good sound, portability, and volume (one frustration was that a lot of them just weren't loud enough). It's definitely the best bang for your buck.

I've had a bose before and while the sound is good it wasn't impressive enough to make me spend the extra money again. I really think, though, it depends on the kind of music you listen to and the quality of your library (in terms of sound quality).

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
are you talking specifically about the UE Boom?

im talking about 2 speakers that size (like beats pill, the smaller jambox, etc)

i dont buy into bose nonsense usually but ive never heard anything so tiny sound so full. UE boom sounds kinda tinny to me

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
are you talking specifically about the UE Boom?

im talking about 2 speakers that size (like beats pill, the smaller jambox, etc)

i dont buy into bose nonsense usually but ive never heard anything so tiny sound so full. UE boom sounds kinda tinny to me

Tinny isn't the correct word, treble-heavy is :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.