Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craiglorocks

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Correction.
Sales tax are always collected from merchants for the sale.
The merchants then decided to transfer the responsibility to the consumers by charging them the tax.

Speaking of which, what about those of us out of state customers going into these states to buy the items?

Beautiful sir. I love it when people actually understand these transactions.

That's why I always get upset when stores in my area have a "We pay the sales tax" event. Many American's have no clue that it has never been their obligation to pay the sales tax on any purchase.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
Or, you know, just shop in New Hampshire. I think there's another state without sales tax, but I do most of my shopping in NH.

Actually, there are five others: Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana and Oregon. And some states don't charge sales tax on food (maybe except for junk food/soda) and/or clothing.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
If California had a tax holiday, 30% of its residents would starve, die, or not be able to afford lottery tickets.

LOL, more likely Governor Jerry Brown will hike the sales tax rate to 30% and call it a handmeday :eek:

Stick it to those rich Apple buyers!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
By owning a business before, I am pretty sure I know the tax code better than those who may not have.
What state? I have still not run into one in which you are correct. But I haven't handled sales taxes for all 50, yet. I've also never met an owner of a business that knew anything about taxes, they pay accountants for that.

Guess what I do.

mikeoui

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2011
Québec City, QC, Canada
Beautiful sir. I love it when people actually understand these transactions.

That's why I always get upset when stores in my area have a "We pay the sales tax" event. Many American's have no clue that it has never been their obligation to pay the sales tax on any purchase.

This is true elsewhere too, such as Canada where the tax is not included in the price (and is 15%). The problem is that you can't refuse to pay the tax; the merchant won't sell to you. Therefore it does, essentially become the customer's obligation. If Amazon doesn't pay the tax, someone has to. This is where paying tax for online purchases as part of your income tax comes in. Regardless of who's responsible, it's not a "tax holiday" if the tax simply isn't being paid when it should be.

iceblade

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
Something to keep in mind (at least for Tennessee buyers):

iPads do not qualify, unless they are considered an accessory somehow, or have been reclassified as computers. If I recall correctly, free iPods that were offered in the past still had to have tax paid on them.

Computers up to $1500 qualify, which is good, that qualifies most of the computers. $1501, though, and you'll be hit with tax (which is unfortunate, cause that will run you about $150 in Tennessee).

If you will need/want any accessories, be sure to buy them with the computer (if you want them tax free). Mice, keyboards, monitors, speakers, cables, all qualify. But they must be purchased with the computer.

Hope that helps. My current and previous MBP were both tax free holiday purchases -- and before that, they didn't have them!

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Apple website

I checked the Apple website today and they still charge tax by my zip code (TN) , so I guess this is not for on-line sales....:confused:

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
By owning a business before, I am pretty sure I know the tax code better than those who may not have.

Going back and readying your post again, I get what you are saying. Although you didn't explain it correctly. The tax is owed by the purchaser. The local taxing authority puts the burden on the retailer to collect that tax on their behalf. Then the retailer is required to turn that money over to the tax authority. If the retailer does not turn the money over, they are liable to the taxing authority.

If you buy something online that is out of your state, the local taxing authority has no power to collect from that retailer. Hence, you are responsible for reporting the purchase yourself and paying the tax directly.

But I don't know, you owned a business once. I am just a tax attorney so I probably have no idea.

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
Curious about this... could you purchase online and have delivered to an Apple Store in a tax free state that you don't live in? I ask because I'm taking a road trip right about that time and I could pick up while I'm passing through.

Yes. You could even have it delivered to a friend/relative in that state.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
People blame Apple when they avoid legally tax. But they themselves like to buy stuff on tax holiday. :rolleyes:

lol the situation is a little different tho. I for one don't really blame Apple directly, just you know businesses lobbying for a chopped up tax code that's easy for them to find loopholes in. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.