Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nay2vp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
I am a nursing student looking to purchase her first Mac (my school uses macs instead windows pc). I've been considering the air because of its lower cost, compared to the retina pros, and its small form factor. However, I have read of the macbook air's screen spontaneously cracking. Since I will be carrying this laptop around in my backpack, should I perhaps consider purchasing a different mac that is more solidly built? Or will the macbook air be fine, as maybe the screen cracking issue is not as much of a problem as I've been lead to believe? Any comments/advice is appreciated. Sorry if this question has been asked before.

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I think if you put the MBA into a secondary sleeve such as :

This

91jEdX3izGL._SX342_.jpg

And then into your backpack you should be covered - avoids those scratches too :)

helix142

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Very Durable

I've had a Mac Air for 2 years that I toss into a backpack and bring to work, college, library and cafe. It travels with me every day and looks today the same as it did 2 years ago. I keep it pure with no cases/protectors etc just a little spritz of lens cleaner occupationally to keep it clean.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
However, I have read of the macbook air's screen spontaneously cracking.

Not to worry at all. Out of all the ultrabooks, MBA is the most durable. It's made of aluminium so it's seriously durable. Just with all computers, you'll only get the screen cracking if you drop a stack of heavy books on it or something when it's closed :D Even so, you're more likely to do damage if you drop something onto the screen when open.

In all honesty, (going from my experience), all this stuff about the MBA screens having a problem with cracking is pure FUD by people who can't figure out how something paper-thin can be more durable than 2 inch thick Wintel systems. I promise that where I work we supply a lot of MBAs to a lot of clumsy people, and it's not a problem. :)

Apple's build quality is second-to-none. The screen won't spontaneously crack! :apple:

(sorry for the essay)

.eric

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
Yeah I've actually dropped mine on to concrete twice from shoulder height and the only thing to happen was the corner being dented.

The first time was I was taking my backpack out of the trunk and I swung it around my shoulder, only to have my laptop swing right into the concrete. Thought it was done, but it turned out the power cord had been cut from the fall somehow.

The second time I was walking to class and the straps on my backpack just gave out and the laptop went crashing to the ground in my backpack.

So I'd for sure say it's durable. It's definitely been the best computer/device I've ever owned.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
agree with others -invest in a sleeve for sure! Maybe even a laptop-friendly backpack so you're less likely to drop it under 40lbs of books.

also, some nice comfy shoes, but that's more related to your chosen profession :p

Good luck!

nay2vp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
People, I did not mean to bother anyone by posting something that may have already been discussed previously. To my defense, I did look around this forum but did not find the answer I was searching for.

As I said before, I am new to Macs. I do not know the first thing about them. I simply wanted to weigh everything before making a decision. Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread. I now feel that I have all the information I need to make the right purchase...

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
I too like to vent my frustrations by beating the shyt out of my Air from time to time.

I lost every time...:mad:

Durability over 9000!

.eric

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
People, I did not mean to bother anyone by posting something that may have already been discussed previously. To my defense, I did look around this forum but did not find the answer I was searching for.

As I said before, I am new to Macs. I do not know the first thing about them. I simply wanted to weigh everything before making a decision. Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread. I now feel that I have all the information I need to make the right purchase...

Ignore the trolls. Most posts here in some form are rehashes of others, and even if then people usually get mad at you for bumping up old posts anyway.

I think you'll be very happy with a new Macbook Air.

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Ignore the trolls. Most posts here in some form are rehashes of others, and even if then people usually get mad at you for bumping up old posts anyway.

I think you'll be very happy with a new Macbook Air.

Seconded :)

It's a beautiful machine, you'll be glad you went MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.