Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nannalittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Huntington Beach
Hi all, I would like to post some pictures for critics, I do need the critics to improve my work. Photography is my hobby but I'd like to start taking better pictures. I humbling accept all constructive critics because I rally need to improve. Any one can tell me where to post the pictures, I am new to this site. Thank you.:)

PS: I do have a Canon 60d, my pictures were made at Huntington Beach Pier at 7:19PM. I did use a 50mm-1.8 lens. No additional light besides the ambient light.:D

Focal length: 50 mm
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Aperture: F2.5
ISO: 100
Exposure comp.: ±0.00

Attachments

• pier11.jpg
    pier11.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 150
  • pier6.jpg
    pier6.jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 136
  • pier14.jpg
    pier14.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
  • pier10.jpg
    pier10.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Good photos! Here's a break down on each and how they could be improved:

1) Exposure is good, but composition wise it could be improved. Lighting is a bit flat, but good.The subjects head is dead center in the frame. Having them slightly off center or on one of the left or right thirds (read up on "the rule of thirds) may make for a more interesting shot. Experiment with cropping and you'll see what I mean. Also, watch out for your own shadow. We can see you at the bottom of the frame!

2) Lighting is good. It seems that you missed your focus here. The column behind the subject is the focus point for this shot so your subject is out. Composition wise I'd crop the subject over to a third for a stronger image.

3) This is the strongest of the bunch! While the subjects head is dead center, her shoulder, head, and hair cover 2 thirds of the photo to give an off center composition. You also get some nice soft fill light and a nice subtle catch light in the eyes. Nice work! Maybe bring a reflector next time to fill in the shadows just a tad more. Also, the focus is slightly off. It looks like your AF focused on her hairs in front of her face so her eyes are a little soft. A narrower aperture may be better until you start nailing your focus. Try f4-f8 until you get the hang of it. The 50mm 1.8 also tends to get much sharper at these narrower apertures as well.

4) Lighting is good. Again, the subject is dead center. Try cropping and framing them to a third for a stronger composition.

Overall not bad, but definitely read up on "the rule of thirds" and composition. You may also want to dial back your noise reduction if these are JPEG's right out of the camera (the look a little soft and smudgy) and up your sharpness to about 2 or 3. I find that the default sharpness settings are a little soft when compared to RAW. At least that's what I find with the 7D, but the 60D is probably nearly identical. Hope this helps!

----------

Sorry forgot to add something. I'm not sure if you're saying that you used the same exposure, ISO and aperture settings for all these photos, but if that's the case you may want to try and use different settings for each shot. For example, the third shot could have used a slightly faster exposure and narrower aperture. Sure you'd need to go to a higher ISO, but not by much. Maybe instead of going into full Manual mode stick with Aperture priority for a while. Unless I'm in the studio or doing long exposures my camera stays on Aperture priority the majority of the time.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
The most obvious thing you need to be aware of, particularly when taking portraits, is be aware of the background!

Also, don't cut off hands and feet (images 1 and 4). People generally expect to see hands and feet on the ends of arms and legs, cutting them off can make the image a little uncomfortable. Images 1 and 4, just tilt the camera down a touch and take a few steps towards the subject. The posts are just distractions, they don't add anything to the images. In the context of these images, you have the beach, the sea, sand and sky, lose the pier and posts!

Last edited:

nannalittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Huntington Beach
Thank you a lot...I'll try those tips with other model. It is hard to take picture of my daughter because she hates it. When she seems approaching with my camera she ran away.:rolleyes: I have to find someone more motivated.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Thank you a lot...I'll try those tips with other model. It is hard to take picture of my daughter because she hates it. When she seems approaching with my camera she ran away.:rolleyes: I have to find someone more motivated.

Not necessarily. Portraits don't have to be posed. Why not try to get candid portraits?

nannalittle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Huntington Beach
When I said "motivated" I meant that at least the person do not runs away. haauhauhauha she is cute... well that is what I meant. All of those pictures of Tasia were not posed. I just called her name so she would look at me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm no expert, but I like the third one as well. Good expression from your reluctant model!
My daughter and wife both hate having their photo taken, hence I mostly shoot landscape!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
#3 I see potential in. Crop out some of the negative space on the right and it would make a very nice portrait.
The others seem more like family shots with nice ambient lighting. This is reinforced by the fact that the subjects are in the center of the frame.
Exposure seems to be correct on all of the photos, maybe except #1 which looks a little dull. Maybe that's just flare from the lens, but definitely boost contrast on that a little bit.

InTheMist

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2013
Definitely "rule of thirds" needed, and avoid having background objects jutting out of a subject's head.

Light and subject matter is great.

rick d

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
Go vertical

Try turning the camera vertical. Eliminates some of the extra on the sides and makes for a larger, closer portrait. Unless of course you want an environmental portrait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.