Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report from earlier this week that appeared to show photos of the iPad 5's silver rear shell, Mac Otakara (via Sonny Dickson) has released a brief video that allegedly shows the front panel and back shell of the iPad 5 assembled together for the first time.

Unlike the rear shell shown in photos earlier this week, which was reported to have a silver Apple logo, this part appears to have a transparent or translucent logo. Apple's fifth-generation iPad is expected to launch as soon as next month, with a new iPad mini with Retina display perhaps following soon after.

A second video from Mac Otakara shows alleged rear shell and front bezel parts from Apple's lower-cost iPhone, which has been rumored to be called the iPhone 5C. A similar pairing surfaced in high-quality photos from Techdy last month with a full display assembly rather than just the bezel, although it is unclear if those parts were indeed genuine.

Article Link: Partially Assembled iPad 5 and 'iPhone 5C' Appear in New Videos

Doc Evils

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
I hate the iPad's chunky bezels. IF this video is true, I think I will finally get me a sleek looking iPad!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm looking at getting my first iPad soon (as soon as the new models come out) probably go for a Mini. Also replacing my 3Gs with a new iPhone... bring them on!

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
all i want from apple is that they fix the goddamn lighting hdmi adapter...:mad:

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
These leaks feel like they've been going on forever... release it already! :eek:

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I'm sure it's only cause they were able to get their hands on the black face plate, but I seriously hope that is not an option (black faceplate, white plastic back).

Otherwise, I'm liking the smaller bezel of the iPad. If they can get the bigger iPad in the mini design language, with a lighter overall weight, with the same battery life (or better ;) ), I'm going to have a really hard time deciding which one to get, between the mini (if it does come with a retina display) or the ipad 5th gen. The mini is absolute joy to hold, it's way lighter than you imagine it being, but so well constructed.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
A redesigned iPad 5 and a 'low cost' iPhone 5C are all but a forgone conclusion at this point.

All that really remains to be seen is what kind of spin Apple is going to put on the announcement at their event when everyone already knows what is coming.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Let's be honest, an "iPhone 5C" is cool, the redesigned iPad is great and all but we want that elusive retina iPad mini to be confirmed.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
A redesigned iPad 5 and a 'low cost' iPhone 5C are all but a forgone conclusion at this point.

All that really remains to be seen is what kind of spin Apple is going to put on the announcement at their event when everyone already knows what is coming.

Well, there's also the possibility of a revised iPod line. I'm sure there will be some surprises with regards to the next incarnation of the iPhone 5. Plus, I somehow doubt we've seen all that iOS 7 has to offer - especially anything device-specific on the new iPhone models. Not to mention that with the rollout of iOS 7, there's a somewhat better possibility of allowing apps on the Apple TV (just speculation on my part).

I think there will be plenty to delight and surprise at the next media event...

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
How about a low end airbook?

I'm hoping the rumoured 13" iPad they're playing about with behind the scenes, will be some kind of iPad Macbook Air hybrid.

There are certainly times where it would be advantageous to plug the iPad into an external monitor and have the ability to display multiple apps at the same time. In a corporate environment where I'm out and about during the day in meetings, and then either dock with a monitor at home or hot desk, this would really be a killer device for me. Canonical seem to be innovating in the right direction, and it's a great time to take advantage of MS poor hybrid OS.

On topic though, the iPad 5 while a step in the right direction in terms of making the footprint smaller, for me still needs more than an incremental change. The 'Home' button/ chin/ forehead/ side bezel design, all look a bit old now. I'm sure Apple could push the envelope here and go for a bezel free design, with only a thin bezel at the top for the camera.

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
What is with Apple and making the cheaper product look so much damn better than the expensive one? Features aside, I'd rather have the 5C than the 5S (though a daresay the 5S's fingerprint scanner will win me over).

ibadukefan

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
iOS 7 Beta?!

So I wonder... did Apple continue working on update 4 and then release it this past Monday, or did they release a week-old version and on this Monday we can expect beta 5?!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
What is with Apple and making the cheaper product look so much damn better than the expensive one? Features aside, I'd rather have the 5C than the 5S (though a daresay the 5S's fingerprint scanner will win me over).

Apple is very good at differentiating their products. I'm sure people will post when both the 5C and 5S are released complaining about how the 5C is missing something they need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.