Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
Tim Cook has stated that Apple will have a "very busy fall" hinting at new and upgraded products. I think later this year we should expect to see new iMac models with the same form factors and display resolutions as the 2012 iMacs. These iMacs will include Haswell processors and 802.11 ac wireless.

I don't see the rumored "retina iMacs" coming out until at least 2014 with the introduction of Intel's 5th gen core processors and thunderbolt 2.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
maybe retina this year..maybe next year or maybe in 2015 at most. To make a "wow" effect they should release retina iMac this year because until late 2014 there will be already 4K displays all over. Just in case with rMBP the wow effect was there because apple was the first

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Agreed. Currently it would be just too expensive for Apple to put Retina in the iMacs and sell them for the same price. Next year the retina displays should be more affordable and will probably make their appearance then.

AGH, is it october yet?! I want to get the new models ASAP :[

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
They can do like in rMBP to double the pixel with the same resolution.
Your native resolution for 21.5" for example should be 1080p HPD

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
considering how much trouble Apple is having getting screens for 13" and 15" retina MBPs, I shudder to think how much trouble they will have with a 27" or even a 21" retina. I don't think the screen yields are high enough yet.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
considering how much trouble apple is having getting screens for 13" and 15" retina mbps, i shudder to think how much trouble they will have with a 27" or even a 21" retina. I don't think the screen yields are high enough yet.

+1

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
The other day I was at my local Apple store dreaming of getting the new iMac, when I noticed that the screen looks far more pixelated (like a iPhone 3GS or iPad mini) than earlier models anyone else notice this.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
No. My late 2012 imac display still looks better than my ipad mini or my macbook air 13". Almost on bar with iphone5. I think if the iMacs were having aroung 127ppi, no need for retina displays would be a must

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
The other day I was at my local Apple store dreaming of getting the new iMac, when I noticed that the screen looks far more pixelated (like a iPhone 3GS or iPad mini) than earlier models anyone else notice this.

Perhaps someone had tinkered with the resolution at the store.

zvezdochots

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Moscow, Russia
I don't think we will see updated iMacs this fall. There are two reasons for that. The first is that Intel Haswell processors are good for notebooks because they improve battery life, but they don't improve performance. And the second is that Apple has many products to release this fall: iPhone 5S, iPhone mini (5C, light), new MBPr, iPad 5th gen and iPad mini 2nd gen. In addition, don't forget about new Mac Pro and expected Thunderbolt Display update. So I think Apple won't update iMacs this year)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I don't think we will see updated iMacs this fall. There are two reasons for that. The first is that Intel Haswell processors are good for notebooks because they improve battery life, but they don't improve performance. And the second is that Apple has many products to release this fall: iPhone 5S, iPhone mini (5C, light), new MBPr, iPad 5th gen and iPad mini 2nd gen. In addition, don't forget about new Mac Pro and expected Thunderbolt Display update. So I think Apple won't update iMacs this year)
The Haswell processors are in general 5% or so faster than Ivrbridge processors presuming they use the ones running at the same speed (GHz) so there is some performance improvement there. But the processor is only one factor of system performance. What about faster GPUs? Faster SSDs? Faster WiFi?

There will be a new iMac because Apple can't afford to go too long between updates and I feel that all the separate minor upgrades would add up to something decent.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013

Part 1 is true...but part 2 not..because with the macbook and mac pro they can do a MAC presentation along with the iMAC like they did it last year

----------

and if they think about your part 1...that will push the imac refreash after 5th generation intel will be announce so an upgrade after almost 1.5 years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.