Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holte139

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Birmingham, England
One of the things that's always really confused me about the iPhone 5 is the way that the photos don't seem to be full-screen. When I open the camera app it appears that it will be full-screen as you're preparing to take the photo, but once I've taken it and view it in the gallery the photo is bordered by two black bars and the top and bottom of the screen, like when you use an app that isn't iPhone 5 compatible.

Is this something that occurs with everyone's camera? If so it's a very poor show by Apple I think. Considering that both the camera and display are better quality than previous model I hope that this 'compression' doesn't affect image quality. It's even more bizarre that photos look like this but videos are actually full-screen.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
One of the things that's always really confused me about the iPhone 5 is the way that the photos don't seem to be full-screen. When I open the camera app it appears that it will be full-screen as you're preparing to take the photo, but once I've taken it and view it in the gallery the photo is bordered by two black bars and the top and bottom of the screen, like when you use an app that isn't iPhone 5 compatible.

Is this something that occurs with everyone's camera? If so it's a very poor show by Apple I think. Considering that both the camera and display are better quality than previous model I hope that this 'compression' doesn't affect image quality. It's even more bizarre that photos look like this but videos are actually full-screen.
Screen is 16:9. Photos are 4:3. Videos are also 16:9. Industry standards. End of story.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Considering that both the camera and display are better quality than previous model I hope that this 'compression' doesn't affect image quality.
It's cropping, not compression. A compressed 16:9 image would still be 16:9.

Holte139

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Birmingham, England
Screen is 16:9. Photos are 4:3. Videos are also 16:9. Industry standards. End of story.

And why do industry standards matter for consumer products exactly? Why is it that on my HTC One I can take a photo at a higher resolution and have it appear at it's proper size without it being cropped? Just crying 'industry standards' seems like passing the buck to me, providing the perfect excuse for Apple to not make their products as good as they could be just because of the marketing and number of customers that the logo on the back brings.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
And why do industry standards matter for consumer products exactly? Why is it that on my HTC One I can take a photo at a higher resolution and have it appear at it's proper size without it being cropped? Just crying 'industry standards' seems like passing the buck to me, providing the perfect excuse for Apple to not make their products as good as they could be just because of the marketing and number of customers that the logo on the back brings.

Nothing, it's just that 4:3 photos are perfectly normal. 4:3 isn't better than 16:9 (or the other way around).

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I want my photos to look like photos, not like a screenshot from a movie. If that's the effect I'm after, I have apps to crop it to the proper dimensions.

Making photos 16x9, just because the screen is 16x9, is an absurd reason to change it. Most people aren't after "widescreen" photos. They would just look wrong and then people would complain the the iPhone takes funny photos that have to be cropped to look normal.

Photos don't fill your iPhone screen because they're not supposed to. They're designed to look like what the average person expects to see for the typical photograph.

So, if you ever had an iPhone with a 4:3 screen, did you complain that videos didn't use the full screen? Did you request that videos get changed to be in a 4:3 format to match your screen? Just curious.

Holte139

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Birmingham, England
So, if you ever had an iPhone with a 4:3 screen, did you complain that videos didn't use the full screen? Did you request that videos get changed to be in a 4:3 format to match your screen? Just curious.

Sorry, I can't answer that, I've never had an iPhone that hasn't been able to play full-screen videos!

But I'm not sure I agree your point about widescreen photos looking 'weird'. Like I said, the HTC One captures brilliant photos that are full-screen in both orientations, and they look great. I honestly do think this is one incidence where the 5S should take the HTC One's lead.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

You have it backwards. It's the full screen HTC image that is cropped. Apple provides you with the complete image resulting in the black bars. Is this a troll thread?

Does the HTC not give you the option of viewing uncropped photos?

Last edited:

Holte139

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Birmingham, England
You have it backwards. It's the full screen HTC image that is cropped. Apple provides you with the complete image resulting in the black bars. Is this a troll thread?

Does the HTC not give you the option of viewing uncropped photos?

Just thinking logically here, how can a full-screen photo be cropped yet a partial-screen image isn't?

Surely an image that leaves black bars on a screen is more likely to have been cropped than one that hasn't left black bars?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
To fill a 16x9 screen with an image in a standard camera resolution (i.e. 4x3 or 3x2) you have to chop off the top, bottom or ends to fit to screen.

You're full screen image is not the whole picture. It's cropped.

Apple is doing it the correct way.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
You keep talking about your screen. That has nothing to do with the photo, that's just how you're choosing to VIEW your photos. Most people send photos in email, post them on Facebook or Instagram or Flickr or they print them or something. They wouldn't want something that looks like an iPhone screen, they want something that looks like a photo.

Much like today's modern digital cameras. Sure, they have screen where you can view your photos. Sure, you can hand your camera to someone and let them browse through the photos. But, that isn't intended to be the primary means of viewing photos. Once you have your photos the whole point is to transfer them to some other medium. I realize the iPhone blurs that line quite a bit, but I think the concept remains.

The phone is the same way. YOU may keep all your photos on your phone. That may be your primary means or sharing photos with people. I don't know. But I'd bet my next paycheck that most people don't work that way and don't want 16x9 photos as the default. They want something they can share with whoever (without handing over their phone) and they want it to look like a photo, not something that looks like it was shot on a cell phone.

----------

Apple is doing photos correctly (from a photographers point of view) and I'm all but certain that won't be changing anytime soon.

If you don't care for how they choose to do photos, browse the app store. There are hundreds of apps out there and I'd be shocked if you couldn't find at least 1 that does what you want. It would certainly be quicker than waiting on Apple.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
Probably would be best if they let you change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9, or that the camera would show the 4:3 image in the preview that will actually make it to the picture. It's not extremely practical to prepare the shot you want, take the picture, only to have the final image have more room since the aspect ratio changed and you just couldn't see it in the preview. Sure, you can crop it, but there is nothing wrong with that option..... There also isn't anything wrong with pictures that are 16:9 just like there is nothing wrong with pics that are taken at 4:3. They both work and look great as long as you take set up a good shot.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Just thinking logically here, how can a full-screen photo be cropped yet a partial-screen image isn't?

Surely an image that leaves black bars on a screen is more likely to have been cropped than one that hasn't left black bars?

Oh my. Just rethink what you're saying. Aspect ratio and size are two COMPLETELY different things. The screen is not capturing the image, the SENSOR is. And the sensor has a 4:3 aspect ratio. Why on Earth do you think that the display of a phone has any relationship to the photo quality at all?

Holte139

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Birmingham, England
Why on Earth do you think that the display of a phone has any relationship to the photo quality at all?

I don't. I did think that the natural aspect ratio not capturing photos that are full-screen was a sign that the photo was in some way being 'compressed', as I was using the HTC One as a comparison, where photos do appear full-screen.

But because of what people have said on here, I now know that isn't the case.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
The camera crops the picture view, OP, but when you snap the picture, there is more area on the left and right side that were not part of your field of view when snapping the pic.

It only appears that there are black borders on top and bottom because the pic is now wider crossways after capture. Sent from my iPhone 5.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
It would be child's play for Apple to include a selector to choose your aspect ratio when taking a picture. And for a company that wants you to use Airplay to display your pictures on your widescreen HDTV, it seems like there should be a setting for people that choose never to print their pictures, but only view them on screen. I'm not one of them ... but there are many, many people out there that are perfectly happy to keep their entire photo collection on their iphone and view it on screen only. Seems like Apple would make it easier for them to use all the available screen real estate.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Just use an app that allows you to take 16:9 photos if it bothers you that much. I'm sure there are tons of free ones in the AppStore.

DefDad

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Probably would be best if they let you change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9, or that the camera would show the 4:3 image in the preview that will actually make it to the picture. It's not extremely practical to prepare the shot you want, take the picture, only to have the final image have more room since the aspect ratio changed and you just couldn't see it in the preview. Sure, you can crop it, but there is nothing wrong with that option..... There also isn't anything wrong with pictures that are 16:9 just like there is nothing wrong with pics that are taken at 4:3. They both work and look great as long as you take set up a good shot.

When you open the camera app, there are black bars on each end of the screen that hold buttons for the different settings. Everything in the preview window is captured and saved as your picture. The preview window is NOT full screen therefore the resulting picture is also not full screen.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I really don't understand why Apple with iOS 7 lets you take square photos, but not widescreen photos. Who takes 1x1 photos anyway? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.