Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Im assuming we will just upgrade until we upgrade out of beta and into a final GM right?

But akin to how sometimes its recomended to do a fresh install, do you guys think in theory a fresh install of iOS 7 GM vs a progressive update from iOS 6, to Betas 1/2/3/4/5/6 and finally to GM would be any performance difference?

However slight...

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Im assuming we will just upgrade until we upgrade out of beta and into a final GM right?

But akin to how sometimes its recomended to do a fresh install, do you guys think in theory a fresh install of iOS 7 GM vs a progressive update from iOS 6, to Betas 1/2/3/4/5/6 and finally to GM would be any performance difference?

However slight...
yes.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think it would be in your best interest to have a full install of the GM. Certainly wont hurt.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

However slight...

I've been doing OTA updates since beta 1, but I will be doing a fresh install of the GM.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
clean install of any GM new iOS release is always the best way possible to enjoy your new OS.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I remember seeing it awhile back. They don't do the GM as an OTA. Even though you can update with the .ipsw in iTunes, it probably means they'd prefer you restore than update.

Everyone on iOS 6 can use OTA to update..."probably means" is not the same as "highly recommend".

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

However slight...

no. There never has been any for me in the past.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What are you talking about? I'm saying you can't OTA from the final beta to the GM. I'm sure there's a reason for that...
Could likely simply be because the final beta is still a beta and the GM is essentially a regular public release, so essentially to separate the two. There can be other implications perhaps, but it can mostly be simply to differentiate the beta process from the regular release process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.