Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Applelogo.png
Just over a week after Apple began bringing its Developer Center back online after being down for eight days, the company has emailed developers with an update on its progress. Apple has brought a majority of its developer services back online and plans to reinstate most of the remaining services by the end of this week.

Still down are Xcode automatic configuration as well as access to license agreements, Technical Support Incidents, program enrollments, and renewals in Member Center.

The company notes that if membership were set to expire during the downtime, it has been automatically extended and no App Store sales have been affected.
Apple Developer Update: Aug 5, 2013

We sincerely appreciate your patience as we work to bring our developer program services back online, and we want to give you an update on our progress. The majority of our developer services are currently online, including Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles, Dev Centers, software downloads, Videos, Apple Developer Forums, iTunes Connect, Bug Reporter, App Store Resource Center, and access to pre-release documentation.

We plan to reinstate most of the remaining services this week: Xcode automatic configuration as well as access to license agreements, TSIs, program enrollments, and renewals in Member Center. You can check the availability of these systems on our status page.

As a reminder, if your membership was set to expire during this downtime, it has been extended and your apps will remain on the App Store and Mac App Store.

We apologize for the significant inconvenience that our downtime has caused and encourage you to reach out to our support team if you need any assistance.
Apple's new Developer Center System Status page should be updated as the remaining services come back online.

Article Link: Apple Plans to Restore Majority of Developer Center Functionality This Week

asmodeo

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
"We sincerely appreciate your patience", "apologize",... blah, blah, blah

And, What about free extend developer membership for this weeks?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Apple is under no obligation to extend your developer membership, but of course they will. Wait until everything is back up, and everyone will get something like 1-3 months additional. This is Apple's track record for situations like this that have occurred in the past, for example with MobileMe issues, Apple extended subscriptions for an additional year.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Hopefully no renewals will be required within at least 2 weeks of the capability returning. This is a popular time for summer holidays, and renewals could fall while people are away, with no chance to sort anything out before going.

My renewal notice has been sent during the downtime. Hopefully I won't have only a short time to sort things out by the time the capability returns. I would be stressed if I did have a holiday planned.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Mine was set to expire today. They sent me an email telling me they'd extended it by 2 weeks for free 2 days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
A client has been waiting a week to click on two buttons in Member Center. Very irritating, expensive holdups.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
just got the email, I admit that this is quite a fast turnaround.

or perhaps the new system is already underway and the site got hacked so they have to make an early release.

either way, pretty happy about it.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
No rush, Apple. Take your time.

:rolleyes:

Clearly you were affected by this. Can you link me to your apps? I'd like to support a developer whose livelihood was taken away by this outrageous outage

tobyw7

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Hitchin/Northampton, UK
Just an FYI for anyone complaining about the length of time it is taking.... the Ubuntu Forums were down for a considerable time after the breach there and Canonical have now reinforced the security there.

Apple have probably done the same thing, but the Dev centre is on a bigger scale...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If you ask Apple "why it took soo long" do you think they would give a valid reason??

"Just because we wish to re-do everything again" is not a good reason...

There's more behind this one. Practically, if its been done for days.

I'm not a developer, but was just wondering if anyone here knows anything else.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
If you ask Apple "why it took soo long" do you think they would give a valid reason??

"Just because we wish to re-do everything again" is not a good reason...

There's more behind this one. Practically, if its been done for days.

I'm not a developer, but was just wondering if anyone here knows anything else.

Obviously this wasn't a case of "just because we wish to" anything. :mad:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Well...it's about time. Must have been one hell of a security breach...

Well, they did state at the onset: "In order to prevent a security threat like this from happening again, we're completely overhauling our developer systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our entire database. We apologize for the significant inconvenience that our downtime has caused you and we expect to have the developer website up again soon."

And that was no doubt, a huge job.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
This for sure was a warning for Apple. I'm sure a lot of services were checked and the security improved.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
Well, they did state at the onset: "In order to prevent a security threat like this from happening again, we're completely overhauling our developer systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our entire database. We apologize for the significant inconvenience that our downtime has caused you and we expect to have the developer website up again soon."

And that was no doubt, a huge job.

Absolutely. And they probably need to, you know, test things… to makes sure it all works and is actually more secure than before.

You would think people frequenting a tech blog would know that this stuff isn't magic.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I wonder if it'll look nicer than before. You'd really think they'd keep a backup of all their code somewhere else. They should've done that and attempted to add more security.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wonder if it'll look nicer than before. You'd really think they'd keep a backup of all their code somewhere else. They should've done that and attempted to add more security.
Done what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.