Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SimCity for Mac will be released on August 29th after being delayed several times in order to "ensure a great experience" for players, EA said today.

The Mac version was originally set for a February release, but was delayed to June 11th and then again delayed until August. The PC version of Sim City was released back in March.

NewImage10.png
SimCity's PC launch was more than a little rocky, largely because the game can only be played online. EA requires that the game be connected to its servers at all times to facilitate 'region play' where the cities of multiple players are connected to share utilities and citizenry.

At launch, SimCity's servers were overwhelmed with traffic and the gameplay experience was extremely poor. Today, EA seems to have ironed out most of the bugs and users are playing the game as intended.

Currently, the PC version is available via the EA's Origin store for $40, or as a digital deluxe edition with extra buildings and add-ons for $60.

Article Link: Much-Delayed SimCity Coming to Mac August 29th

lilianeloirinha

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Too little, too late. This game sucked from the beginning and I stopped playing it. The city size is ridiculous. The only place this game runs well is in the garbage can, where it belongs, with EA.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

SimCity for Mac will be released on August 29th after being delayed several times in order to "ensure a great experience" for players, EA said today.

The Mac version was originally set for a February release, but was delayed to June 11th and then again delayed until August. The PC version of Sim City was released back in March.

SimCity's PC launch was more than a little rocky, largely because the game can only be played online. EA requires that the game be connected to its servers at all times to facilitate 'region play' where the cities of multiple players are connected to share utilities and citizenry.

At launch, SimCity's servers were overwhelmed with traffic and the gameplay experience was extremely poor. Today, EA seems to have ironed out most of the bugs and users are playing the game as intended.

Currently, the PC version is available via the EA's Origin store for $40, or as a digital deluxe edition with extra buildings and add-ons for $60.

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Too little, too late. This game sucked from the beginning and I stopped playing it. The city size is ridiculous. The only place this game runs well is in the garbage can, where it belongs, with EA.

² played it for 2 weeks I think. I just keep following them on social networking sites, in the hope of ever seeing an update about bigger maps. Not expecting it :D . They're just focussing right now on selling DLC (10$ for a few props)

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006

Meh... I'm torn about this. I actually enjoyed playing the game via Bootcamp, but I'd much rather have it native Mac. Rebooting into Windows and waiting for a million Windows Updates to install is exhausting.

I think half of the reason I stopped playing was Windows, but the other half was the city size limits and general bugginess.

Since it'll be free for me to download on the Mac side, I'll probably install it... but by then Summer will be over and I'll probably be on to some other game.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
If this version has a "Classic Mode" that supports both offline and large independent cities, I'm in!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
There might be an off chance that this game might be a worthy sequel and will work perfectly on launch.

But since this is EA, I'm not counting on it though. No sale.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Disappointed to hear all the negative reviews and extended delays on this game ... Spend many many hours on the original versions back in the day!

I am hopeful for some improvements as I was excited when this was first announced.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
trying to reserve judgement for now...

I still don't understand why they're forcing players to be online to actually be able to play the game?! It just feels like EA is trying to force something onto users that's somewhat unnecessary, rather than allowing the user to decide for themselves how that want to utilize the gameplay options available to them.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
² played it for 2 weeks I think. I just keep following them on social networking sites, in the hope of ever seeing an update about bigger maps. Not expecting it :D . They're just focussing right now on selling DLC (10$ for a few props)

That is why this game exists.

Craiglorocks

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I still don't understand why they're forcing players to be online to actually be able to play the game?! It just feels like EA is trying to force something onto users that's somewhat unnecessary, rather than allowing the user to decide for themselves how that want to utilize the gameplay options available to them.

I would guess it is a system to help prevent piracy. The Xbox One was also trying to use that kind of system where the console had to check in with the servers and I believe that was an authentication check.

Publishers have been pushing these changes hard.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
in the uk it's £45 and £65. How does that make sense :/

vat.

----------

Agreed. Yet when this game does poor sales, EA will blame the Mac gaming market rather than themselves and poor corporate decisions.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
EA please... I'm done with you.

The game is still corrupt. Even after update 6 we still got bugs and problems. Besides those bugs... it's totally boring after you played a week or 2. You will build everything within 2 weeks, and then you are staring at your screen thinking "What is the point of this". There is no overall goal, no competition.. nothing.

You build everything in the game, and you'r done. Don't tell me there is a leader board with "most mined raw ore" and sorts... because after you know the game a bit, every non-logical person can get in those leader boards.

It's almost crap beside the graphics.. those are nice.

EA good by, and good luck.. I will not buy anything anymore from you..

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
To be fair, the game has improved a lot in the last few months. RCI actually matters now, and the next update will have much needed road tools added. Of course, that should have been in 1.0...

That said, I'm not buying the game again (I returned it after the first 2 weeks) until they address the ridiculous city sizes. I don't think that'll ever happen, though, because then the Glassbox engine would really start to fall apart.

. it's totally boring after you played a week or 2. You There is no overall goal, no competition.. nothing.

SimCity has never been about those things. It's about creating goals for yourself, and being creative in designing the city you want. SimCity actually has more "gamey" goals than the previous games, with the leaderboards, great works and various industries, and they feel a bit out of place for a SimCity game.

The thing is, the game doesn't allow for much creativity. There are no terraforming tools, and the city sizes are so small that you are essentially forced to design for maximum space efficiency, and that makes for boring cities.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK

Not unless VAT is 75% (it's not, it's 20%). With current exchange rate and VAT $40 is £31.20, they're adding 50% to the price because we drive on the wrong side of the road so they had to reprogram all the sims.

Last edited:

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
EA please... I'm done with you.

The game is still corrupt. Even after update 6 we still got bugs and problems. Besides those bugs... it's totally boring after you played a week or 2. You will build everything within 2 weeks, and then you are staring at your screen thinking "What is the point of this". There is no overall goal, no competition.. nothing.

You build everything in the game, and you'r done. Don't tell me there is a leader board with "most mined raw ore" and sorts... because after you know the game a bit, every non-logical person can get in those leader boards.

It's almost crap beside the graphics.. those are nice.

EA good by, and good luck.. I will not buy anything anymore from you..

+1 to your comment. I have never known a company more hell bent on self destruction than EA. They have a great catalog of games that they try to seppuku with each new iteration. Worse yet we've gotten so invested in their IP that we moan and groan while still turning over the credit card. At some point I will have to man the eff up and stop buying ea (they don't even deserve CAPS):mad:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Premises:

1 - It's EA;

2 - It can ONLY be played online.

Conclusion:

IT SUCKS.

----------

Buy the classic SimCity 2000 on Gog.com and have more fun.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
And collectively the world shrugs and goes "who cares"

Until they release a proper version of this i can play on the train, or in my hotel room without having to connect to the inter webs ill treat it like i treated Diablo III, a game with leprosy

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Was planning to buy the Mac version on launch-day. They lost my $60 due to the delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.