Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nokia has taken a page from Microsoft's advertising book, today launching (via UKMR) a new advertisement comparing the company's Lumia 925 to the iPhone 5.

The ad focuses on the phone's photographic capabilities and is based on Apple's well known "Photos Every Day" commercial, which began running back in April. It uses a similar voice over and style, focusing on Lumia users taking photographs with their devices.

"Every day, more photos are taken on the iPhone than any other phone. But at Nokia, we prefer to build for quality, not just quantity."
The ad goes on to feature the Lumia 925's various photo modes, offering demonstrations of the camera's action shots, motion blur, and best shot feature that captures a series of photos and allows users to choose the most appealing.

Nokia's Lumia 925 offers an 8.7-megapixel camera that comes equipped with a Carl Zeiss Tessar lens and an f/2.0 aperture. In comparison, the iPhone 5 has an 8-megapixel camera with a five-element lens and an f/2.4 aperture. Nokia has included a dual-LED flash on the Lumia 925, which, along with a lower aperture, allows for superior performance in suboptimal lighting conditions.

Nokia highlights the Lumia's flash and low light capabilities towards the end of the commercial, providing side-by-side comparison photos taken with each camera. "Every day, better photos are taken with Nokia Lumias then with any other mobile," reads the final line.

nokiavsiphone.jpg
In recent years, Nokia has focused heavily on the photographic capabilities of its devices, most recently debuting the Lumia 1020, which offers an impressive 41-megapixel camera with a six component Zeiss lens.

Apple is expected to greatly improve the iPhone's camera with the release of the iPhone 5S later this year, offering a 12-megapixel camera, several new photographic modes, and a dual-LED flash.

Article Link: Nokia Launches Lumia 925 Advertisement Bashing iPhone Camera

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
As the old saying goes: The best camera is the one you have with you.

The point to Apple's commercial was that more people choose to carry iPhones than any other phone.

Unless Nokia can come up with a phone that more people want to carry, it's moot.

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I'm happy to see a commercial that shows the true faults of the iPhone versus its competition. The iPhone's low light camera performance is my biggest gripe.

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
mega

At what point does taking an day of very high res photos with your phone lead to a phone that has run out of storage space? This applies to all phone makers I assume.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Nokia have had the best cameras in phones for years, not likely to change anytime soon.

RubenTheys

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
The more manufacturers release ads like this, the more people will be convinced that iPhone really is reference material on the smartphone market.

So keep it coming, marketeers! Who's next in line? HTC, Asus?

bloggerblog

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Everyone is trying to encroach on Apple's market share and marginalize it, and the only way they know how is by bashing it.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Introducing the Nokia Luma ad: because we had to justify having such an oddly placed camera.

leftynaut

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Knock-ia? That's how it's pronounced?

I always called it No-kia.

You learn something new everyday.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
rule #1 learned in business school: never bash your competitors to promote your own product

Nokia doesn't know how to sell its products other than comparing it to the iphone 5, what a bunch of amateurs :rolleyes:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Excellent ad. I'm definitely going to buy one of these now.

You see, even though iOS is arguably more stable, has a better ecosystem, a huge app store … and although the iPhone has better build quality, resell value and considerably better customer support, what I really want from a phone is something resembling a plastic surfboard with a grotesquely oversized camera on the back.

If photography was my main concern, I'd just get a separate camera.

Renzatic

Suspended
This is one of the few times I think it's worth going on an all out bash and compare advert. The camera in the new Lumia is so good, it could be a selling point in and of itself. Might as well draw attention to what's easily your best feature.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
The more manufacturers release ads like this, the more people will be convinced that iPhone really is reference material on the smartphone market.

So keep it coming, marketeers! Who's next in line? HTC, Asus?

This.

All advertising experts know that as long as competitors reference a brand in their commercials or ads, it is considered the brand to beat.

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The fact that there are more photos taken with the iPhone just says most of the people who take photos on their phone do it on the iPhone! Not that Apple builds for quantity over quality...

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Great idea

I am going to:

1. Patent anti-Apple ads
2. Sue everyone for copying and patent infringment
3. Profit

(thinks all bases are covered)

/lights cigar with $100 bill.:cool:

On topic: I understand Apple is the market leader and everyone goes after the market leader but at some point companies have to realize this is getting pretty old.

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
well correct me if im wrong but that picture is no way a picture of an iPhone 5 camera its too dark no way the iPhone 5 performs that way :confused:

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Making the iPhone 5S with a 12mp camera is not improving anything. It's making it worse. I don't need larger, crappy photos. Larger sensor, better optics are needed, not higher MP and another LED added to the flash.

mudman2

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
NOT knocking the competition is the first rule of marketing because it reflects more on the shortcomings of your product rather than any perceived weakness in your competitions.

This seems to be the way these days, every one breaks these rules and just look how successful they are (BBerry, Msoft)

Sell your product on its merits, if you want to win make those merits strong enough to tempt people to buy your products. It seems that they are working on the %'s "if I can just get x% of this market I can make money"

I nearly bought a Surface keyboard until I realized they were selling a tablet

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
lol @ the photograph of fruit.

It should come with a disclaimer - "the photographer using the iPhone had no idea what they were doing".
These things are always akin to the YouTube videos of musicians 'demonstrating' music gear but playing awful music on them.

You can comparatively 'compare' photos from one device to the next all you like but it is how you use what you have (or don't) that makes the difference.

If specs were all that mattered then why do so many 'amateurs' out there who own thousands of dollars worth of high-end Nikon or Canon cameras still take crappy photos on them?

I applaud Nokia's camera phone achievements and the fact that Hipstamatic has made Nokia-only version of their Oggl app (their first ever non-iOS port) says something significant.
In fact the Lumia 1020 Windows phone would make quite a cool camera in itself.

http://theappwhisperer.com/2013/07/26/hipstamatic-oggl-pro-now-available-on-nokia-lumia-1020/

However, you would expect Apple to follow suit with the next incarnation of iPhone HW.
Again, specs are one thing but what do you like using and how does it work for you?

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
It's amazing after all these years companies are still trying to create the iPhone killer. Valiant effort, Nokia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.