Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.

Retina quality in fullscreen view in RMBPs? Cropping? Headroom for image processing?

coolparty

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
here we go again...

People STILL don't seem to grasp that more megapixels DON'T equal better quality images. We want better lenses, not more digits.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
theres a Nokia Phone with 41 megapixel out already
Yep, Apple is doomed.

On a more serious note:
The Nokia Pureview camera is one thing that really sets it apart from other phones and Nokia is going to build it into future models soon. It´s not because of the megapixels, though, it´s just a well designed camera-system altogether.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Every year people say increasing megapixels makes pictures worst, every year Apple has proved that better pictures can be taken.

iPhone 3GS (3MP) -> iPhone 4 (5MP + new optics) -> iPhone 4S (8MP + new optics)

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
People STILL don't seem to grasp that more megapixels DON'T equal better quality images. We want better lenses, not more digits.

Not true. If you increase megapixels while keeping the sensor density, then extra pixels are welcome. Also, if you increase sensor's pixel density but also proportionally enhance capturing technology, you're fine too.

Actually I prefer a lot of pixels like in the Nokia 808 Pureview. If you're on a sunny day, you're on par with DSLR-quality. On the other hand, you're not too bad in the dark while you're getting good crop margins for digitally zooming your pictures.

As iPhones traditionally have bad flash bulbs, it would be better having something like a 1/1.8" sensor with 12MP and a f/2 lens.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Retina? 8MP is more than enough. Cropping? Frame your shot better. Image processing? You'd be better off with a superior sensor.

I crop my 5 mega pixel iPod touch images all the time, and they look fine. At least on the web. :)

I'm sure Apple won't just up the mega pixels without improving the chip or picture quality.

Personally, I'm psyched for the iPhone 5s. It'll be my go to camera for traveling and street photography.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
Night photography is clearly the most important thing to improve.

But I´m really amazed at the iPhone 5 abilities to take pictures at night. I took this at winter in Norway http://instagram.com/p/VVJvwijIqi/ - even though the street is lit, it even catches the dark blue hue of the sky above, which is very difficult to achieve. Even with DSLR´s.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006

Well maybe the same reason some people STILL don't seem to grasp that there are people who want both? :)

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
If they go to 12 MP it will be 10 more megapixels than you need for a good picture instead of only 8! The stupidity of the the stupid leaves me in a stupor.

truthiness

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
12MP is still pretty paltry in today's camera market segment. If they were playing the MP game, they'd put out a camera with 18MP or something. I still see this as a conservative sensor upgrade and hopefully will continue their past strategy of providing better pixels and fewer of them compared to the competition.

With that being said, I really hope that they focus on a kick butt camera. It is so good already, but I almost feel like they didn't know how popular the camera was going to be and not until the 4S did they start getting serious with it.

Now that it is the most popular camera out there, they will need to keep on making it as good as can be. Again, 12MP isn't some obnoxious number and I'm surprised, quite frankly, that it's not going to be more than that.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Other than texting and playing letterpress, I use the camera more than any other function on my phone

Lets not get into a race for the most megapixels, as its meaningless to the actual quality of the finished image.

I'm still not convinced on the 5 form factor, but having tried the various other brands last weekend I still prefer it over them. I'm not a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination so this surprised me :)

I may very well finally upgrade my 3GS assuming apple dont completely cock up the 5S.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.

This. Exactly.

----------

12MP is still pretty paltry in today's camera market segment. If they were playing the MP game, they'd put out a camera with 18MP or something. I still see this as a conservative sensor upgrade and hopefully will continue their past strategy of providing better pixels and fewer of them compared to the competition.

With that being said, I really hope that they focus on a kick butt camera. It is so good already, but I almost feel like they didn't know how popular the camera was going to be and not until the 4S did they start getting serious with it.

Now that it is the most popular camera out there, they will need to keep on making it as good as can be. Again, 12MP isn't some obnoxious number and I'm surprised, quite frankly, that it's not going to be more than that.

You expect all this with a sensor implemented in a 4mm focal length. I don't think you know what you are asking.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
What really matters for image quality is sensor size and sensitivity. Increased MP may help digital zoom, but it's not nearly as important for overall image quality, beyond the 12MP range, even on DSLRs. Even Canon's Flagship DSLR (1D-X) is only 18MP.

BTW the Lumina 1020 also has a much bigger sensor than the iPhone 5.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I think 12mp is good as long as the focal apature is between 1.9 and 7 kilowatts. If the ph is at least 7, then 8mp would be fine. Now to make low light pictures work, apple needs to implement halogen focal points in the sensor so that the reflection from the light causes photosynthesis. All of this possible as long as the upload speed is at least 2.7 terra bytes. I'm waiting Apple. Don't know what the hell I just said...wanted to sound smart for a minute. Back to sleep :)

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Just give me a 5/8 mpx camera with faster lens (2.0 or 1.8) and some decent manual controls...
Couldn't care less about 12mpx if i can't adjust the exposure the way i want.:mad:

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
The problem I have with the increase in MP with mobile cameras is that there's no native way to reduce the file size (picture quality). I don't know if iOS 7 has that capability but there's no such feature for iOS 6.x.x, native.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.