Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nilzi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
Hi, guys, do you know what does the iPhone 5C's "C" mean? indeed, some people said "C" stands for cheap or colorful, but I think it stands for China, the phone could be created by China.......
What's your opinion on "C"?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would assume color since the phones will be colorful.

I don't think its a good move marketing wise to say the C stands for cheap.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It could stand for 'concept'. I doubt it stands for 'cheap' or 'China', that's silly IMO.

Considering the phone has not been officially announced yet, it could stand for 'Con' for all we know. We will find out in due time.

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
I would assume the c stands for crap... iphone 5 crap

JUST JOKING LOL :D

But seriously I think the c will stand for color.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
The best guess I've seen from someone on MR is Cloud services, and others have suggested it might be a data sim-only type of phone, which would work with cloud services only (no cellular functionality).

Camera? probably not
Classic? not sure what that would mean with an iPhone, but maybe?
Color? doesn't really make any sense in that it doesn't really indicate anything functionally different
China? they already have phones that are specific to the China market and they didn't designate them differently, also Apple has only ever built products primarily aimed at the US market, which they localise for other countries.

I like The-Real-Deal82's suggestion that it could all be a "Con" - that's entirely possible. :)

Can't wait to see if this product is for real, whether it is a 'C' iPhone and what it means. Fun times ahead.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Has the S ever been officially defined? If so does anyone have a link to an Apple representative/CEO saying so?

For that matter what does the "i" stand for?

Isn't all this just marketing jargon? It sounds cool is all I ever thought.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Has the S ever been officially defined? If so does anyone have a link to an Apple representative/CEO saying so?

Tim Cook has said that in the 3GS, "S" stood for speed while in the 4S it stood for Siri. Although, when he was saying this, I took from it that those were convenient reasons but not necessarily actual reasons. In the end, they're just marketing terms.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Tim Cook has said that in the 3GS, "S" stood for speed while in the 4S it stood for Siri. Although, when he was saying this, I took from it that those were convenient reasons but not necessarily actual reasons. In the end, they're just marketing terms.

Again, do you have any links to those videos? I searched one day for about 2 hours and never came to a factual conclusion...

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Again, do you have any links to those videos? I searched one day for about 2 hours and never came to a factual conclusion...

Well if you google it, you'll see tons of articles that quote Cook.

However, you asked for a video, so I found one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUAPHgiEniQ

Look at the 1:22:20 mark. I recall him answering this question at D10, but I couldn't remember exactly when. So I spent the last 20 mins trying to find it. You're welcome!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

3GS was speed. 4S was Siri.

The 'i' stood for Internet in the original iMac, and has continued with their other products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.