Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Not until I realised there are apps that use that gesture too so it creates a conflict.

Alterion

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
I've been using it for a while (ios7) and most of the time when I'm browsing safari, I accidently swipe up control center when scrolling through the page. I wish it was a two finger activation.

Anyone else annoyed?

Yeah, it's glitchy. They spent so much time flattening it with a hammer that it doesn't work right.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
In guessing your using tapatalk 2? I'm using the original tapatalk and there's no swipe motion. It actually does sound fairly handy.

Oh man trust me :D it sounds good on paper but you its just to damm sensitive and the worst part if you go back/forward by accident it doesnt remember your position :(

Apple new swipe motion on settings and apps that support its fantastic imo, yet to get trigger by accident.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i am more "annoyed" by the fact that it is control center that opens by swiping up instead of multitasking like how many times do you switch something off? i dare to say people switch between apps far more often.

conspiracy has it that apple wants you to ware out the home button on purpose to buy a new phone every so often :p

Last edited:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
So people are complaining that it's hard to use the control center while you're presumably typing something??? If it wasn't there they would be complaining that it gets in the way.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
So people are complaining that it's hard to use the control center while you're presumably typing something??? If it wasn't there they would be complaining that it gets in the way.

Sure, you can be in the middle of typing something and want to turn down the brightness, or adjust the volume, or change the music, etc. We shouldn't have to dismiss the keyboard in order to activate Control Center.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Sure, you can be in the middle of typing something and want to turn down the brightness, or adjust the volume, or change the music, etc. We shouldn't have to dismiss the keyboard in order to activate Control Center.

you dont have to ... just swipe up and it goes right over the keyboard and when u close it your keyboard is right where u left of :confused:

btw you have to start swiping before the screen starts kinda like the notification center pops up on the mac when you start swiping before even reaching the trackpad

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
you dont have to ... just swipe up and it goes right over the keyboard and when u close it your keyboard is right where u left of :confused:

btw you have to start swiping before the screen starts kinda like the notification center pops up on the mac when you start swiping before even reaching the trackpad

I know it's supposed to work that way, but it often takes me several tried to get it to. Try invoking Control Center from the Messages app, and see if it works for you every time. It doesn't for me.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I know it's supposed to work that way, but it often takes me several tried to get it to. Try invoking Control Center from the Messages app, and see if it works for you every time. It doesn't for me.

weird maybe its a bug on your end? i just tried it and it worked at 10 out of 10 tries.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
weird maybe its a bug on your end? i just tried it and it worked at 10 out of 10 tries.

I've found that technique matters. Just now I tried flicking upward and it only worked 3 out if ten times. When I moved slowly and deliberately, it worked 10 out of 10 times.

Thing is, it should work consistently when flicking it in a hurry. Notification Center does.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I've found that technique matters. Just now I tried flicking upward and it only worked 3 out if ten times. When I moved slowly and deliberately, it worked 10 out of 10 times.

Thing is, it should work consistently when flicking it in a hurry. Notification Center does.

no i think it is done on purpose like if i am playing temple run, theres a tiny arrow at the bottom before it actually opens the control center so you do not open it by mistake when you have an app that requires an swipe up.

just checked, on the homescreen where nothing is "in the way" it works as quickly as the notification center so i am sure its a precaution by apple

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
no i think it is done on purpose like if i am playing temple run, theres a tiny arrow at the bottom before it actually opens the control center so you do not open it by mistake when you have an app that requires an swipe up

Sure, but that's not the case here. The tiny arrow appears in full-screen apps so that you can confirm, by swiping again, that you really want to open the Control Center. Thats a totally different situation than trying to invoke Control Center over the keyboard.

Try this: go to the home screen and flick up from the bottom as fast as you can ten times. You'll probably invoke Control Center every time.

Now go to Messages, make sure the keyboard is displayed, and do the same thing again. I'll bet you'll get Control Center less than half the time.

Last edited:

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
They could do the same thing they did for notification center on IOS 5 and 6. Quickly swipe down to show the little notifications "pull down" bar and then when you slowly pull down the notification center, it normally scrolls down.

They should do it with control center aswell.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I'm annoyed that it works on the lockscreen. I keep swiping it up instead of the camera.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Update for beta 5:

Well, now I can't get the Control Center to activate when the keyboard is showing no matter how slowly I swipe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.