Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Startup organization Misfit, a company co-founded by former Apple CEO John Sculley, has released Shine, a physical activity monitor for use with iOS devices. Shine includes features such as the ability to wear the monitor anywhere on the body with additional accessories, as well as mobile syncing that is done by placing Shine on top of an iOS device and using an official app that can be downloaded from the App Store [Direct Link].

Shine is an elegant new activity tracker that helps you live a more active life. Wear Shine anywhere on your body with our range of accessories that are designed for any occasion. Then sync with the Shine app to set your activity goal, check your daily progress, and see your movement trends.
Shine was originally funded through an Indiegogo campaign that raised over $845,000 in 2012. The device retails for $99.95 and is available on Misfit's official online store.

shine_apple_online_store.jpg
Shine will also be coming shortly to Apple's retail and online stores. The device briefly appeared in Apple's online store yesterday in a $119.95 package that also includes Shine's sport band bracelet strap, although it has now been removed from the store for unknown reasons.

Article Link: Physical Activity Monitor 'Shine' Launching in Apple Stores

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
That video is so ridiculously vague about what it does and how it does it. How is it different than a step counter or the nike thing?

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Quick, someone make an app that causes the Shine to draw all the remaining power from your iOS device and transfer it to you ass for one motivational, electrical shock if you sit on the couch too long. Call it Fried Potato. ;)

D.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Activity monitors with phone connectivity are quickly becoming the new "improve your golf game" gimmick. Why should I buy this over the multiple Fitbit options? Or Jawbone Up? Or Nike Fuel Band? Or Lark whatever that thing is called?

How about this- All of those companies wake the ____ and make ONE worthwhile device, instead of these halfway pieces of crap they're churning out?

Gus Van Der Mee

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
Activity monitors with phone connectivity are quickly becoming the new "improve your golf game" gimmick. Why should I buy this over the multiple Fitbit options? Or Jawbone Up? Or Nike Fuel Band? Or Lark whatever that thing is called?

How about this- All of those companies wake the ____ and make ONE worthwhile device, instead of these halfway pieces of crap they're churning out?

Why should i buy this or that? You know people are different, like different things and have different needs. Not to mention different understanding of things.

S

syd430

Is this John Sculley finally trying to prove that he is product person?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If you need an activity monitor to find out if you're moving enough..... You're not moving enough.

These products are all just motivational tools, giving more immediate feedback and perhaps incenting the owner push just a little more. That's the reason fro the success (and failure) of various products in the segment like Jawbone Up, Fitbit's products, Nike+ FuelBand, and now this.

From DCRainmaker's blog: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/...itorsbringing-it-back-to-reality-edition.html
It’s all about motivation, and all about seeing a number that’s perhaps ‘almost’ to the daily goal, and motivating you to go that bit extra and knock it out. Take for example the team I’m on at work. In general, up until these guys got Nike Fuelbands, you wouldn’t find them within 10 miles of a 5K race. And, probably still won’t. But, we finish the day after a long 10-12 hour flight, then dinner, and then as we near the hotel one of them will say “Oh, wait, I’m super-close, I’m going for a walk to get my points high enough!”. Simply because he glanced at his wrist. That’s it.

That’s why those devices are successful.

This gadget is interesting, I've been waiting to see what Nike does for the next FuelBand before buying a device in this segment, but this thing might be worth trying out depending on how big it really is. "about the size of a quarter" is a little vague. I already often wear my Garmin 610 as a watch when not running, too bad this sort of "the rest of life" functionality isn't built into it.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Dude just put this on your baby - boom instant hands free babysitting

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Is this John Sculley finally trying to prove that he is product person?

He's trying... it just doesn't justify a $100 add-on that looks easy to lose. It's not cool at all by the way. Wearable devices are going to be a very cool or rather not cool market.

So, yes, Sculley is not a products' person.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
If you need an activity monitor to find out if you're moving enough..... You're not moving enough.

Very true.

But it may also have a nice placebo effect on some. You spend $99 on this little and you feel compelled to use it, like buying an elliptical machine. Except, you can hang clothes on the elliptical once you stop using it. :D

Gamewave

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
I got mine Saturday. It is really slick and reminds me of any apple product I have ever owned. Very easy to use and far accurate.

The two selling features that made me give up my fuel band for this were 4 month battery and waterproof.

They need more instructions for how to use the app and the accessories like the leather band are way overpriced, $80 without the shine.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Or you want to know how much you are moving when doing thinks like working out....

For example here is my fitbit data from last week:

Weekly Totals
113,673 steps 487 floors 54.39 miles 29,981 calories

Date Activity Steps Distance Duration Calories
Jul 31, 1:59 pm Activity record 524 0.25 miles 1:33:00 220 cals
Jul 31, 3:33 pm Activity record 10,321 4.96 miles 4:43:00 2,189 cals
Jul 31, 5:28 pm Bicycling N/A 30.21 miles 2:01:18 1,740 cals
Aug 2, 11:52 am Bicycling N/A 7.36 miles 30:15 397 cals
Aug 3, 6:35 am Bicycling N/A 93.31 miles 6:01:02 5,108 cals
Aug 4, 6:28 am Bicycling N/A 72.2 miles 4:45:52 3,439 cals

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I just play a loop--for free--of a voice saying "Still just sitting there. Still just sitting there. Still just sitting there."

Maybe some kind of snack monitor would be nice? It could warn you--or even order grocery delivery--when your snack supply gets down to 20% or so.

We need devices tailored to the high-tech lifestyle, not the 1800s when people carried things and moved about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.