Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Why the heck are mods locking threads in the ios7 forum and saying use the news forum thread? This is the ios 7 forum. I come here for news and info on ios 7 specifically. I don't go to the general news forum. I don't get why a thread cant exist on both forums. Stop locking relevant threads.

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
Why the heck are mods locking threads in the ios7 forum and saying use the news forum thread? This is the ios 7 forum. I come here for news and info on ios 7 specifically. I don't go to the general news forum. I don't get why a thread cant exist on both forums. Stop locking relevant threads.

If you're going to make a topic just to discuss the fact Beta 5 was released, then why have several threads about it rather than discussing it in one place?

Just wait for a Fixes and Changes thread mate :)

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
If you're going to make a topic just to discuss the fact Beta 5 was released, then why have several threads about it rather than discussing it in one place?

Just wait for a Fixes and Changes thread mate :)

because maybe i only come to the ios 7 forum to talk about ios 7 and never go to the general news forum. what harm is there for threads existing on both the general news and the ios 7 forum? they dont affect each other. they are independent of each other.

and the mods locked a what is new thread already.

bmw3wags

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010

I agree why go to the news forum when you want to talk specifically about what is new in beta 5 and not just about it being release that way everything that is new will be in that thread. The Mod's are a little power happy today.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I do not prefer them closed. I like to have at least one thread here that keeps a list of what has changed. Like the OP will update the first post to note all the changes. I don't want to go to the news thread of beta 5 and dig through the comments of what changed...

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Personally, I'm glad they're doing it. There are so many superfluous iOS 7 threads, it's ridiculous. People need to wait a bit to download the update and then report back on changes/fixes. Just have some patience.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
We close the threads because the front page news story is where the discussion is occurring. In a matter of 10 minutes there were 5 threads announcing that beta 5 is out saying virtually the samething.

It can cause more confusion with the members by having 5 threads about beta 5 and the news story.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
We do not need various threads all about the same topic and its always been common practice to direct members to the news story threads and close the ones that are about the same thing.

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
We do not need various threads all about the same topic and its always been common practice to direct members to the news story threads and close the ones that are about the same thing.

Why not leave a thread open on the ios 7 forum. why would i go to the general news forum when i only want to specifically access ios7 info? i would go to the ios7 forum. i understand closing multiple discussions about the same thing on the same forums, but i dont understand directing us to 1 thread on a completely separate forum

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Its because we only want one thread per topic. Its all part of proper organization and the forum rules.

That makes no sense and leads to people not finding the info. if i only go to the ios7 forum, i will never see the general forum thread. you still haven't justified why it is harmful to have 1 thread per forum.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That makes no sense and leads to people not finding the info. if i only go to the ios7 forum, i will never see the general forum thread. you still haven't justified why it is harmful to have 1 thread per forum.

The simple answer is to go to more than the iOS 7 forum. Use the Forum Spy to get a live view of everything that is going on in the forums.

Having multiple threads on the same thing clutters the forum and annoys most of the membership. We get many reports daily for duplicate threads.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

We're not locking all beta 5 threads but ones that overlap the discussion that is occurring the the news thread. Have multiple threads stating that beta 5 is available only confuses and annoys members. The discussions typically is duplicated and unnecessary.

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
The simple answer is to go to more than the iOS 7 forum. Use the Forum Spy to get a live view of everything that is going on in the forums.

Having multiple threads on the same thing clutters the forum and annoys most of the membership. We get many reports daily for duplicate threads.

it's hard to justify telling me to additionally click on some tool i dont care about when i can just click on the bookmarked forum i look at and see a thread there and read/participate in it. again, there is a difference between multiple threads on the same forum(which i understand locking the additional threads) and 1 thread on the news forum and 1 thread on the ios7 forum.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
it's hard to justify telling me to additionally click on some tool i dont care about when i can just click on the bookmarked forum i look at and see a thread there and read/participate in it. again, there is a difference between multiple threads on the same forum(which i understand locking the additional threads) and 1 thread on the news forum and 1 thread on the ios7 forum.

I hear that you'd like things to be organised in a different way, and that's your prerogative. But the two moderators who have answered you have pretty much covered why things are the way they are.

We've chosen to do things in a way we feel makes the most sense for the more than 800,000 members. We try to keep as much discussion of the big issues in one place.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What is puzzling to me is the fact that anyone who has been a member of this forum for 2 or 3 or more years isn't already familiar with the forum rules and the way the forum works.

It makes no sense to have multiple threads on the same topic, as some posters would duplicate posts in all open threads, while some wouldn't, and the result makes it hard for a reader to see all the responses to a topic in a single thread. I know it still happens frequently, but to the extent that it can be minimized, it's definitely for the betterment of the forum.

It's really not a big deal to click a link and be directed to the official news story thread. It's certainly not worth getting upset over.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Surely having 5 threads spread around makes it even harder to find info on your subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.