Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
130 plugins still isn't 497 plugins. And why would you even want to have that many plugins. Its insane to have that many plugins. Just use a few and be an expert in them. Never have I been in a studio where they would love 500 plugins on their computer. Its way overkill.

Waves is just one bundle I own, along with Sonnox, McDSP, Sound Toys, Valhalla, Slate, etc etc.
I'm a pro mixer, believe me- most guys mixing for a living have all the major bundles.

You might find it insane, for me it is business as usual.

----------

One certainly wonders if all of them, are, how can i put this (without breaking libel laws) er, above board?

Most of the people i knew who used to go on about the size of their plug-in collections, were not exactly "legit."

And as to WHY one would need collections this size, that's another question.

Personally, as all the ones i currently use are only Ez Drummer and Superior Drummer (and i may not even need these with new Logic Drummer, time will tell) and a few others, i am fine with updating, which i will do in a few weeks time, as there is quite a bit of housekeeping i need to do first before updating Logic.

Just wondering how a non-professional (and i admit that is just an assumption here) could afford 500 plug-ins. I certainly can't, as a semi-pro/hobbyist.

Let alone why i would need them all.

YMMV!:D

Mine are all 100% legit- quite a few are NFR though.
I sold my hardware mixer back in 2006 and went ITB, as have a lot of guys- Tchad Blake comes to mind.

I haven't added it up but costs must be around 30k in plugins, prob another £20k in other software.
It is still a lot less than I've spent on acoustic treatment.

I track via dedicated mic pres direct to Logic or PT and mix using plugins.
It is a workflow that works for me.

Last edited:

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
he could also have 200, 300, 400, 500... plugins and so on :D

Arrrrrr, matey! ;)

I've been very impressed with LPX. LP9 was great, but this is really something else. Nice work, Apple. Looking forward to Aperture 4 or X or whatever you call it.

Agreed, Logic X is really great, and lets not underestimate the Remote app, either, it's incredibly handy and has near zero latency over your common wifi network which is something I have never experienced before with any of the OSC controllers, etc. I don't know how they did it but it feels like the future! :)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
most apple users are so reliant on presets

Really, just "apple" users use a lot of presets? Seems like there are plenty of people on all DAWs and platforms who use lots of presets.

Glad to see Logic getting an update so fast, looks like the app is more of a priority to Apple again. Now if they can just add openCL support in time for the next Mac Pro release.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
About what? It's a nice app, can't blame people for liking it.

Also, Vienna just sent out a promotional email touting the fact that VE pro can be used with Logic X to run 32 bit plugins. Personally, the only 32 bit plug I have left is Virtual Guitarist, discontinued so there will probably never be a 64 bit version. But works fine with VEP.

Last edited:

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
About not blaming Apple for not supporting 32-bit plug-ins. If there was a good enough reason not to, I'd accept it but don't go blaming devs that don't develop 64-bit versions of their plug-ins letting Apple get away. I asked this already but what harm would it make to have 32-bit compatibility? What about those cherished discontinued plug-ins?

If someone goes against Apple, he gets bashed. If someone bashes the guy for no reason, he gets upvotes. I love Apple but let's open our minds here. I don't see a good reason why Apple decided to do things this way.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Reason is a virtual instrument and basic sequencer, Logic is a DAW. Two different pieces of software for two different uses.

Reason is more used with Logic, not as a standalone product.

I understand that. But Logic also includes many virtual instruments and effects and such. Compared only on those strengths, how would you rate Reason vs Logic? I'm assuming Reason pummels it if you don't care about the DAW aspect and just want to make (virtual) music.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
About not blaming Apple for not supporting 32-bit plug-ins. If there was a good enough reason not to, I'd accept it but don't go blaming devs that don't develop 64-bit versions of their plug-ins letting Apple get away. I asked this already but what harm would it make to have 32-bit compatibility? What about those cherished discontinued plug-ins?

If someone goes against Apple, he gets bashed. If someone bashes the guy for no reason, he gets upvotes. I love Apple but let's open our minds here. I don't see a good reason why Apple decided to do things this way.

the reason is because a 64 bit app has a very hard time utilizing 32 bit plugins. its been a problem for some years now with the transition. i went through it with cubase. they had a "bridge" but it crashed all the time. its really problemmatic and on top of it all im sure apple doesnt want their app crashing all the time. youre much better off with 64 bit everything. its just a sign of the times. i had to let go of all my 32 bit plugs. i still use them but for isolated things that i will open up my old 32 bit application and process...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
don't go blaming devs that don't develop 64-bit versions of their plug-ins

Sorry, but any developer who hasn't released 64 bit versions over three years after Logic went 64 bit deserves the blame they get.

With Logic 9.1 they provided a bit bridge and people complained that it wasn't stable enough. When apps like DP and PT went 64 bit and didn't have a bit bridge at all, people praised them for doing it. Can't say I blame apple for going that route as well. Not to mention that it gives that much more incentive to devs to finally do the update.

Supporting 32 bit plugins in a 64 bit app is inherently a hack and is never going to run as well as 64 bit plugins.

I understand that. But Logic also includes many virtual instruments and effects and such. Compared only on those strengths, how would you rate Reason vs Logic? I'm assuming Reason pummels it if you don't care about the DAW aspect and just want to make (virtual) music.

As he said, the two are radically different apps. You'd have to be more specific what features you're looking for. Personally I think Reason is nice but I'd never be able to use it on its own. If you're happy with an old version of it you'd probably be happy with the latest version, but no way of knowing if you'd like Logic better.

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and insular people can be. As has been explained now, 32 bit support is unstable in a 64 bit host. That's why all DAWs are moving to 64 bit only.

None of us here truly know how complicated it is to write the code for 32 bit support in an all 64 bit app. In the past it has been shown to be unstable.

Now, is it really so hard for you to imagine that Apple had good reasons to stop 32 bit plugin support? But no, instead of considering this possibility you decide it's time to go Apple bashing. It's just a very unintelligent post which will illicit criticism.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
if you paid for your 32bit plugins then no problem getting 64bit upgrades - most free.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Why the hell would you need 497 different plugins for. I call BS ;)

I've got quite a few in FCP7 and X, some people use em, to each their own :)

I'm glad Apple is refocusing on Pro-Apps. I'm not a user of Logic (ha! couldn't resist), but it's good to read the general consensus is positive. After the debacle we faced with FCP 10.0-3 (.8 is finally worthy), many of us were shaky. It's unfortunate so many jumped ship to over platforms in the interim, hopefully they're happier or may find their way back. Overall, the most amazing aspect is having so many choices for OS X when PPC systems and lack of general use kept many versions on Windows systems only. How times change.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
the reason is because a 64 bit app has a very hard time utilizing 32 bit plugins. its been a problem for some years now with the transition. i went through it with cubase. they had a "bridge" but it crashed all the time. its really problemmatic and on top of it all im sure apple doesnt want their app crashing all the time. youre much better off with 64 bit everything. its just a sign of the times. i had to let go of all my 32 bit plugs. i still use them but for isolated things that i will open up my old 32 bit application and process...

Sorry, but any developer who hasn't released 64 bit versions over three years after Logic went 64 bit deserves the blame they get.

With Logic 9.1 they provided a bit bridge and people complained that it wasn't stable enough. When apps like DP and PT went 64 bit and didn't have a bit bridge at all, people praised them for doing it. Can't say I blame apple for going that route as well. Not to mention that it gives that much more incentive to devs to finally do the update.

Supporting 32 bit plugins in a 64 bit app is inherently a hack and is never going to run as well as 64 bit plugins.

As he said, the two are radically different apps. You'd have to be more specific what features you're looking for. Personally I think Reason is nice but I'd never be able to use it on its own. If you're happy with an old version of it you'd probably be happy with the latest version, but no way of knowing if you'd like Logic better.

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and insular people can be. As has been explained now, 32 bit support is unstable in a 64 bit host. That's why all DAWs are moving to 64 bit only.

None of us here truly know how complicated it is to write the code for 32 bit support in an all 64 bit app. In the past it has been shown to be unstable.

Now, is it really so hard for you to imagine that Apple had good reasons to stop 32 bit plugin support? But no, instead of considering this possibility you decide it's time to go Apple bashing. It's just a very unintelligent post which will illicit criticism.
Was it that hard to explain why instead of just bashing? Why not doing that in the first place instead of just blaming people for going against Apple?

iLLucionist

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
The Netherlands
What do you guys think of Logic vs Propellerhead Reason? I know they serve very different uses, but the solo musician without a lot of physical tracks is where I'm at. I have an old version of Reason I've been using and it's great. Not sure which one (or both) to upgrade to.

I've been using Logic since version 7 and Reason since 1.5 and I find the audio quality MUCH better in Logic. When you have a lot of rack units in Reason, with or without additional compressors, I find that the stereo image becomes very narrow up to the point where it becomes difficult to separate certain frequencies (e.g. drums from piano from guitar) from each other. In contrast, Logic stays clean, warm, and crisp.

The only workaround I know for Reason is to buy an expensive external audio card and use different output channels for different frequency ranges.

But overal, I like Logic's stereo image and sound quality much better.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Can someone explain what a plugin does?

A plugin would add functionality to a program by interfacing with it - using the core program as a foundation to do various things. The example I am most familiar with is Photoshop which had plugins available that did various enhancements that simplified various tasks or focused on one particular aspect of editing.

I have also seen plugins for InDesign that just allowed for the ability to import files from Quark and convert them to ID files.

It can really depend.

xnatex

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
A plugin would add functionality to a program by interfacing with it - using the core program as a foundation to do various things. The example I am most familiar with is Photoshop which had plugins available that did various enhancements that simplified various tasks or focused on one particular aspect of editing.

I have also seen plugins for InDesign that just allowed for the ability to import files from Quark and convert them to ID files.

It can really depend.

Yup. In Logic, there are even quite a few plugins that are designed to look like, work like, and sound like a physical piece of equipment.

For example, http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube
This plugin recreates real guitar amps, speaker cabinets, mics, and some pedals.

Also, some people have varying views on using plugins instead of physical hardware. Please don't discuss that here. I was merely giving an example of what a plugin is.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I've been using Logic since version 7 and Reason since 1.5 and I find the audio quality MUCH better in Logic. When you have a lot of rack units in Reason, with or without additional compressors, I find that the stereo image becomes very narrow up to the point where it becomes difficult to separate certain frequencies (e.g. drums from piano from guitar) from each other. In contrast, Logic stays clean, warm, and crisp.

The only workaround I know for Reason is to buy an expensive external audio card and use different output channels for different frequency ranges.

But overal, I like Logic's stereo image and sound quality much better.

Holy smokes so much misinformation right there.
Reason had non-floating point summing engine and thats just about the only thing reason had problems with. That has been a problem in old versions of Reason...

FYI Logic has 32bit FP summing, still, protools HD had 48bit fixed point and Sonar (allegedly also Reaper) now has 64bit double precision floating point.
Actually just about every other DAW has 32bit FP now.

There is also something called the "pan law", and there are different pan laws that can effect the stereo image.

Otherwise, everything else is huff and puff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.