Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
You will not only need the LTE version for the GPS you'll need the monthly data access to generate maps. Or you can pay 100 bucks for one of the Navi system software that stores you maps on your iPad.

There are many of the latter. I have CoPilot Live and it works well. No need for data connectivity as you drive-- that's great for overseas travel (where roaming is expensive) and travel out in the boonies.

As folks have said, you need the GPS chip which means you need the "cell phone" version of any iOS device.

It's a pity that GPS has been linked to the cell functionality since the first iPad. I know of no technical reason why that must be. A WiFi model should have real GPS too, IMHO.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
You can get a GPS device that plugs into the ipad.

My dad is a pilot and the internal GPS isn't certified to be good enough, so he has an external device that will plug into any apple device.

Please tell us the name of the device your father uses as well as the name of the manufacturer. Thank you.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
There are many of the latter. I have CoPilot Live and it works well. No need for data connectivity as you drive-- that's great for overseas travel (where roaming is expensive) and travel out in the boonies.

As folks have said, you need the GPS chip which means you need the "cell phone" version of any iOS device.

It's a pity that GPS has been linked to the cell functionality since the first iPad. I know of no technical reason why that must be. A WiFi model should have real GPS too, IMHO.

Actually I believe the GPS chip is built into the cell radio chip hence why they "have to come together" while Apple COULD build a slot or the GPS chip into the logic board of the iPod they don't want to spend the time or the energy to do that so they can push the more expensive mobile data version on you more.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
heard it doesnt work very well if you tether gps from your phone. ipod touch users seem to say that.

wifi n7 has gps or pay more for 3g ipad mini with gps

I would go for the nexus 7 for a variety of reason including the integrated gps. The mini just has too many compromises and is much harder to hold comfortably with one hand as it is so much wider. The Snapdragon s4 pro (its actually a snapdragon 600) in the nexus 7 is just so much faster than the a5 as well. Its very noticeable during use.

johnbock

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
But do I need the 4G LTE version to have navigation?

Yes, you do need the 4G/LTE version and an app with preloaded maps. It may, however, take several seconds till the GPS can lock on to at least 3 Satellites. More locked satellites, more accurate. I often have a reported accuracy of 3 meters.

The iOS products having a GSM modem all work. They use a system called AGPS: assisted GPS. Meaning, when they have a SIM card and a service provider, they will use it to triangulate to the surrounding telecommunications towers until decent satellite signals can be detected. After locking in on the satellite signal, they will use the towers purely as a reference and "fine tune" the devices' position.

And it does seem to matter where you position the mini in the car. Doesn't work too good in the back seat. But, seems to fair better leaned up against the console behind the stick shift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.