Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a new report from market research company NPD DisplaySearch as related by CNET, Samsung has supplied more 9.7-inch panels for the fourth-generation iPad in recent months than any other Apple supplier, including longtime partners LG and Sharp.

ipad_family-e1375887520182-800x478.jpg
Apple, in fact, has been boosting purchases of displays from Samsung since January, according to the market analyst. Apple got about 2.3 million units from Samsung in the first quarter. That figure jumped about 80 percent quarter-to-quarter to more than 4.1 million units in the second quarter, according to DisplaySearch.
The report also claims that Samsung, LG, and Japan Display will also begin supplying 7.9-inch panels for the next-generation iPad mini, although it declines to state whether the displays will be of Retina resolution or not. A Wall Street Journal story last week stated that the next-generation iPad mini is indeed likely to feature a high-resolution display from Samsung, with screens also being supplied from LG and Sharp. The next-generation iPad mini is expected to launch sometime in the fall.

Apple has been reported to be seeking to reduce its reliance on Samsung as a component supplier due to continuing tensions between the two companies as they have increasingly become top competitors in the mobile device market. But it has been reported for several months now that Apple is returning to Samsung as a display supplier due to its technological advantages and production capacity.

Article Link: Samsung Reportedly Becomes Primary iPad Display Supplier as Next-Generation iPad Mini Grows Closer

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Good - their displays are the best around and we shouldn't let a playground grudge affect the quality of the products.

That aside, I still can't seem to silence my inner fanboy which is yelling "Noooooooooooooo!!!!"

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I just had to change my screen on my MacBook Pro Retina from LG to Samsung. Apple should stick with Samsung until there's anybody better out there

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Samsung makes some great products, a shame about their shady business practices though. I'm glad Apple swallows their pride and chose the best parts for their products regardless of the vendor.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
Samsung and Apple are acting like an old couple
They argue millions of times but still get along.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
If you have ever posted a negative comment about Samsung and continue to support the company by purchasing a product that uses Samsung components in an Apple product, I think you should be forced to disclose that conflict in your signature line. ;)

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
good.. samsung makes quality displays that are consistent. i've always preferred the samsung display on the macbook air than the other manufacturers. i wish this was the case for the air, so there'll be no more panel lottery.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Haters gonna supply! Can't stop laughing... Some fanb... err nerds must be crying...

I don't care where the components come from, as long as they are the best.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
If you have ever posted a negative comment about Samsung and continue to support the company by purchasing a product that uses Samsung components in an Apple product, I think you should be forced to disclose that conflict in your signature line. ;)

I prefer to think of having a Samsung component in my product like eating a burger with pink slime. I don't really have to know it's there and I sure as hell don't want to support it.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I couldn't care less if the display maker is samsung, they seem to produce the consistently best displays and if I'm paying premium $ then couldn't care less about their conflict, as long as I get the best product that's all that really matters and I wish others felt the same way because this whole brand loyalty nonsense does nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.