Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added movie support to its iTunes in the Cloud service in Japan and seven additional European countries, enabling customers in those countries to re-download content previously purchased from the iTunes Store. New support for Austria and Switzerland was noticed by iFun.de [Google translate], but the full list of new countries includes Austria, Estonia, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Switzerland.

itunes_cloud_movies_estonia.jpg
iTunes in the Cloud was first launched for music in June 2011 in the United States, with Apple adding movie and TV show support for U.S. users in March 2012. Movie coverage has been gradually expanded since that time, with the most recent addition prior to today coming back in February.

With today's expansion, there remains only a handful of countries where Apple offers movie content in the iTunes Store but not iTunes in the Cloud support for those films. That short list does, however, include several major markets for Apple such as Germany and Spain.

Article Link: iTunes in the Cloud for Movies Goes Live in Japan and 7 New European Countries

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Is there a list somewhere of what iTunes and iCloud sevices are available in what countries?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Still no Germany... Just like always when iTunes movies have to suck somewhere! ;)

And still no 1080p purchases or rents on non-iOS (Mac/Windows).
In fact, there doesn't seem to be any 1080p purchases, if there is 1080p it's renting and since I don't rent...

iTunes Germany is a land where this 27" iMac (not having a Blu-Ray drive) and that Apple TV seem to be sitting there doing nothing great with their displays.

(on an iTunes level... I sure know how to use those devices and use their pixel power, no smartypants now please.)

Glassed Silver:mac

JarJarThomas

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Damn that's a shame i'm from germany and the only thing preventing me from buying movies or series.
Stupid german content companies

Deepdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
I have been reading MacRumors articles and comments for years now, but never participated on my own. Now, I only registered to write a comment for this news!

Apple bitchslapped all the Germans again! Like they did since the introduction of iTunes in the Cloud long time ago. We weren't lucky at any time that Apple announced new countries to get iTunes in the Cloud for Movies and TV shows.

It's such a shame! How dare you, Apple? I'm so mad... I mean how long should we wait for this feature in Germany? Another year? Come on!! It seems that almost every country now has this feature, except the big nation in the middle of Europe! It's a lot of money that Apple loses every day when people decide not to buy films from iTunes without the capability to redownload on all the devices at any time.

Sorry for this hateful posting... I am happy for all the lucky ones that got the feature for today. But I hope that you can understand how we Germans feel about that?

if only the US could get iTunes Match for movies.
I don't exactly need iTunes Match for Movies and TV shows. But I have some own movies in my library that I would love to be able to upload into iCloud.

Last edited:

tjskywasher

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
I have been reading MacRumors articles and comments for years now, but never participated on my own. Now, I only registered to write a comment for this news!

Apple bitchslapped all the Germans again! Like they did since the introduction of iTunes in the Cloud long time ago. We weren't lucky at any time that Apple announced new countries to get iTunes in the Cloud for Movies and TV shows.

It's such a shame! How dare you, Apple? I'm so mad... I mean how long should we wait for this feature in Germany? Another year? Come on!! It seems that almost every country now has this feature, except the big nation in the middle of Europe! It's a lot of money that Apple loses every day when people decide not to buy films from iTunes without the capability to redownload on all the devices at any time.

Sorry for this hateful posting... I am happy for all the lucky ones that got the feature for today. But I hope that you can understand how we Germans feel about that?

It's the movie studios and content companies delaying things, not Apple. Plus they're the ones making the money from sales, Apple makes very little.

Deepdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
It's the movie studios and content companies delaying things, not Apple. Plus they're the ones making the money from sales, Apple makes very little.

Yeah I know... but on the other hand... I mean the big studios like Universal or Warner Brothers (and all the others), they have already signed the deals in so many countries now. What keeps them to give the rights to Apple for a specific country?

You are right, Apple is only partial guilty, but they could put more effort into the negotiations.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Apple and many other content providers would love to do business in Germany. Apple is an easy target but, in this case, you have to blame policies in Germany. The content providers in Germany are doing an excellent job in keeping everyone out.

You are right, Apple is only partial guilty, but they could put more effort into the negotiations.

Germany is a huge market and I'm sure Apple along with other content provider are trying their best to get into Germany. Unfortunately, Apple has very little leverage in Germany to force the issue. I hate to say it but it's up to the German citizens to get their own laws and regulations changed to allow the content providers full access to Germany. What's unbelievable is that Netflix can't even get into Germany.

Last edited:

Deepdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Plutonius, you are absolutely right! I was so loaded with anger and I put it all onto Apple... It was wrong. I know that the situation in Germany is quite difficult... I only wonder how long it will finally take to get the feature here...

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Take a chill pill. Of course Apple would love for iTunes Cloud to be available in Germany. The more countries they cover, the more content they sell. But what usually stops them or slows them down are the negotiations with the publishers or movie studios in those countries (like Germany).

Just like in the USA, many music and movie studios are CAUTIOUS in negotiating with Apple. In the USA the cable and movie studios are afraid to negotiate with Apple because they (the studios) are afraid that a runaway success with future Apple-TV could hurt them or put them in a tight corner. This is like what happened when Apple ended up dominating and dictating the music industry with iTunes music. All the studios do not want to repeat that. So now they take a long time, and they play hardball when they negotiate with Apple. That's why it is a very slow process.

Last edited:

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland

As much as I love blaming companies when they don't extend digital media to countries I think Germany probably has itself to blame for this. The media situation in Germany seems very off-putting to all companies.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Plutonius, you are absolutely right! I was so loaded with anger and I put it all onto Apple... It was wrong. I know that the situation in Germany is quite difficult... I only wonder how long it will finally take to get the feature here...

Are any major German political parties in favor of opening up the internet / content providers in Germany ?

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
Are any major German political parties in favor of opening up the internet / content providers in Germany ?

Good one .
It is a joke, right ?

Apple is trying to monopolize content distribution, like every other 3rd party provider , to make a quick buck .
And that's the whole story .

As for cloud based content; not only does it create additional cost, by paying the middleman (Apple) of the middleman (original distributer) of the middleman (publisher), it also limits access and property rights of the customer .

Politicians might or might not worry about the customer's best interests - companies never do .

Romano81

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
No problem for "ze" germans

I think Apple helps us german to avoid running out of traffic in our new volume tariffs by Telekom, which will be introduced 2016. It makes sense.

:D:eek::apple:
But hey, whatchever isn´t too bad...!

JarJarThomas

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I think Apple helps us german to avoid running out of traffic in our new volume tariffs by Telekom, which will be introduced 2016. It makes sense.

:D:eek::apple:
But hey, whatchever isn´t too bad...!

Yes .. watchever is what i use now instead of buying stuff from itunes.

PS : On a sidenote, googles all music service is also available now for europe ... but NOT for ... TADAA germany

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
if only the US could get iTunes Match for movies.

"iTunes in the Cloud was first launched for music in June 2011 in the United States, with Apple adding movie and TV show support for U.S. users in March 2012."

Seems like you already have it? :confused:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Good one .
It is a joke, right ?

Apple is trying to monopolize content distribution, like every other 3rd party provider , to make a quick buck .
And that's the whole story .

As for cloud based content; not only does it create additional cost, by paying the middleman (Apple) of the middleman (original distributer) of the middleman (publisher), it also limits access and property rights of the customer .

Politicians might or might not worry about the customer's best interests - companies never do .

I'm not sure if you were following the thread. Any (not just Apple) content provider is having a tough time getting into Germany. It was generally agreed that it was the German government rules and regulations that was the roadblock for any of these content providers from getting in the German market. I asked if there were any major German political parties who are in favor of loosening up internet / content control in Germany. Working through the political system to get the changes needed is the only way to get more content providers into Germany.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
"iTunes in the Cloud was first launched for music in June 2011 in the United States, with Apple adding movie and TV show support for U.S. users in March 2012."

Seems like you already have it? :confused:

iTunes Match != iTunes in the Cloud. ;)

What he/she wants is to match his DVD/BluRay imports of his iTunes library against the cloud so he/she can stream them, download them to iOS devices (*cough* storage space *cough*), Macbook Air (*cough again* storage...) and Apple TV (*cough* no storage at all even! *cough* smart decision *cough* /s) when the Mac is off/the stuff isn't synched etc...

Whilst I know there are plenty of solutions to stream from your home computer to any device, it's quite a pain with TV shows to manually keep track of your play counts, which is what you have to do when you store your files via iTunes but play them with other tools that let you stream.

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Meanwhile... changing your country in iTunes leads to losing all your purchase history... resulting in a blank, pristine cloud... Stupid, annoying issue... ( I moved over from France to the UK recently and had to register a UK debit card)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.