Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I used Subler to add subtitles at my movies which i download most of them already on mp4's.

Some movies on my itunes play buttery smooth on my Apple Tv via Airplay..... and some others stuck on buffering in the beginning... and nothing happens... they stuck there. I tried ETHERNET connection and i didn't see any difference... movies which work via airplay play smoothly even on wifi....

Codec problem for Apple tv?

Last edited:

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I Just noticed that the movies who are NOT playable are those who are 1080P!!

For example the movie below is 720P and plays without problem.

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 2.30.47 PM.png

Cannot play it

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 2.31.07 PM.png

I only used subler... am i doint sth wrong? I ve got a MBA Haswell and Apple TV 3!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Run them through Subler again and have Subler "Optimize" the file.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Is there a subler option for optimize and where ?

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
It's in the File pull down menu.

So i open the file with Subler and then i choose optimize. When its finished do i have to export it again (save as in a folder) or its ready to throw it back to itunes?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
So i open the file with Subler and then i choose optimize. When its finished do i have to export it again (save as in a folder) or its ready to throw it back to itunes?
ready to throw back into iTunes.

Good luck, hope that solves your problem.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
ready to throw back into iTunes.

Good luck, hope that solves your problem.

Another matter i want to solve.

I wanted to change the default language on the Subtitle Track from English to Modern Greek.

1) Tell me if there is an easier way from what i did: I opened the file with subler, change the Language to modern greek and then i choose Save as in order to export the file in the desktop... the problem is that with these procedure the file that was working fine with airplay from mac to apple tv stopped working... stuck on buffering like the 1080p files who are not working.

2) Also tell me if i have to choose anything from the default settings below (for apple tv) before using subler.
Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 7.21.12 PM.png

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Another matter i want to solve.

I wanted to change the default language on the Subtitle Track from English to Modern Greek.

1) Tell me if there is an easier way from what i did: I opened the file with subler, change the Language to modern greek and then i choose Save as in order to export the file in the desktop... the problem is that with these procedure the file that was working fine with airplay from mac to apple tv stopped working... stuck on buffering like the 1080p files who are not working.

2) Also tell me if i have to choose anything from the default settings below (for apple tv) before using subler.
View attachment 427381
Sorry, have never worked with anything but English audio/subtitle tracks and I don't want to confuse the situation trying to help in an area I don't have any expertise. Hopefully, some else will chime in to help.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
1) Make sure your sub file is named like that
Code:
moviename.gre.srt
so Subler will catch the language without you needing to select it later
2) There are no preferences you could preselect, but for one, you can save a set of metadata, if you need it more than once.
From my experience, Subler catches the movie type and resolution quite well from metadata and frame size. But that piece is saved in a saved set as well, if you need to reapply them later.
PS Sets don't save any of the language settings for movie tracks.
08-save-set.jpg

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Sorry, have never worked with anything but English audio/subtitle tracks and I don't want to confuse the situation trying to help in an area I don't have any expertise. Hopefully, some else will chime in to help.

The movie app of iOS play subler edited movies with a grey box behind the subtitles.... is there a way to remove that grey box with subler?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The movie app of iOS play subler edited movies with a grey box behind the subtitles.... is there a way to remove that grey box with subler?
Are you referring to the aTV? Are your OS's up to date? This used to be the way they were shown on the aTV (I don't have any other iOS devices). But this was changed somewhere in the last few aTV updates (and I would have assumed the other iOS devices as well).

Anyway to answer your question: No Subler cannot change that as it's not really there. It's added by the device you are viewing on. The gray background box was supposed to enhance the subtitle text visibility but got enough complaints it was removed. At least I thought it was.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Anyway to answer your question: No Subler cannot change that as it's not really there. It's added by the device you are viewing on. The gray background box was supposed to enhance the subtitle text visibility but got enough complaints it was removed. At least I thought it was.

I tested on movie app on ios7 beta 5. Fortunately it has not been removed :(

Thanks anyway. Tomorrow i will test my apple tv if with optimize 1080ps are playable.

Last edited:

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Run them through Subler again and have Subler "Optimize" the file.

I just checked my movies with optimize. I am sooooo happy.... everything now is buttery smooth playable with wifi connection on Apple Tv. I dont know what the developer of subler has done but that program is damn fast!!!

Is Perian necessary for the mkv files?...i mean is there another way not to have installed perian on my mac?

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just checked my movies with optimize. I am sooooo happy.... everything now is buttery smooth playable with wifi connection on Apple Tv. I dont know what the developer of subler has done but that program is damn fast!!!

Is Perian necessary for the mkv files?...i mean is there another way not to have installed perian on my mac?
On the main page is a link to forum pages that provide links to files that provide the functionality that having Perian installed provided. With Mountain Lion, Perian broke and audio issues occurred. So the developer provided links to codec files that fixed the problem.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
On the main page is a link to forum pages that provide links to files that provide the functionality that having Perian installed provided. With Mountain Lion, Perian broke and audio issues occurred. So the developer provided links to codec files that fixed the problem.

Major issue: i changed the file in the library->audio->component and now i cannot add/drandrop avi's and on subler...i reinstalled mac os and the same problem occurs... where do i find the original file on the component faulder? :eek:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Major issue: i changed the file in the library->audio->component and now i cannot add/drandrop avi's and on subler...i reinstalled mac os and the same problem occurs... where do i find the original file on the component faulder? :eek:
I didn't think Subler worked with AVI's. Seen that as a feature request in it's forum, though.

Also, the path you outline above does not match the Sublers instructions: "replace the one in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components or ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components".

Can't you just trash Subler and re-install it?

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I didn't think Subler worked with AVI's. Seen that as a feature request in it's forum, though.

Also, the path you outline above does not match the Sublers instructions: "replace the one in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components or ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components".

Can't you just trash Subler and re-install it?

Thanks again.

Also how can i enlarge subtitles with subler? They are damn too small.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks again.

After you load your file into Subler you will see a subtitle track. Select that track and you will see a subtitle parameters menu appear below. There are options to scale the subtitle there. Just so you know, I have never done this (scale subtitles) so I have no idea if it works or not or if it does work, how well it works. IIRC from other posts here, the ability to scale may depend on the subtitle type (VOBSUB, PGS, SRT, etc). I suspect srt is probably the only one that you might be able to scale since it is a text based file vs the others with are image files.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I've got the impression, that Apple TV ignores the saved subtitle size and uses it's own based on picture size.
I mean, I have subs much better readable for 720p picture than for 1080p picture. If I change subtitle change with Subler or iSubtitle, has no effect on playback via Apple TV.

Dave84

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I Just noticed that the movies who are NOT playable are those who are 1080P!!

For example the movie below is 720P and plays without problem.

View attachment 426485

Cannot play it

View attachment 426486

I only used subler... am i doint sth wrong? I ve got a MBA Haswell and Apple TV 3!

Hi DJTaurus,

Did the Subler "optimise" work for you? I too am in the same boat, all SD and 720P movies stream perfectly from itunes on my mac to ATV3. It is only when I try and play 1080p rips (and then only some of them) that they just will not stream.

Not sure if file size has something to do with it as the 1080p rips that do stream fine are relatively small files (5-10 GB). The ones that don't work are larger size rips like Aliens (24 GB) and Hurt Locker (19GB).

All the 1080p rips where done in Handbrake ATV3 preset, and all 720P rips done using the ATV2 preset. "Web Optimise" in Handbrake was checked on all rips :S

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Not sure if file size has something to do with it as the 1080p rips that do stream fine are relatively small files (5-10 GB). The ones that don't work are larger size rips like Aliens (24 GB) and Hurt Locker (19GB).

All the 1080p rips where done in Handbrake ATV3 preset, and all 720P rips done using the ATV2 preset. "Web Optimise" in Handbrake was checked on all rips :S
I'd check the resulting video and total bitrate of those 20GB files first!
I compress also the 1080p files to around 5000kbps in HandBrake and they have no problem with streaming.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Cannot play it

View attachment 426486

I just wonder, why are your audio tracks so different from mine? What version of Subler and iTunes are those pics taken from?
I get proper Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 displayed in iTunes 11. As you can see, conversion was done with HB 0.9.9

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 159

Dave84

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I compress also the 1080p files to around 5000kbps in HandBrake and they have no problem with streaming.

I'm sure the final file sizes after handbrake are correct. Aliens and Hurt Locker are very grainy films so I would expect sizes this large. I will redo Aliens (from the original MakeMKV rip) through Handbrake using both the ATV2 & 3 presets to double check the 1st attempt is not a dodgy transcode.

If that fails, I don't have a clue.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
My Hurt Locker is 22GB, using HB aTV3 preset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.