Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following his company's earnings release earlier today, T-Mobile USA CEO John Legere told AllThingsD that the carrier is looking forward to expanding its Apple product offerings beyond the iPhone. Back in April, T-Mobile became the last of the four major U.S. carrier to begin selling the iPhone.
Legere said it is a good sign that the iPhone is only a portion of the company's sales growth, accounting for just 21 percent of smartphone sales last quarter.

"I think it's a healthy percentage," Legere said.

That said, Legere looks forward to more business with Apple, including carrying products beyond the iPhone.

"I think there's a whole array of Apple products that we look forward to carrying," Legere said. "We will expand what we offer from them."
tmobile.jpg
The most obvious new Apple product for T-Mobile would be the iPad, with the other major U.S. carriers already selling and supporting cellular-capable models of the device with data plans. In order to provide official support for the iPad on T-Mobile, Apple would almost certainly have to at least tweak its existing hardware in order to support the AWS 1700/2100 MHz frequency bands used by T-Mobile, something the company did on the iPhone 5 when it launched on T-Mobile. But with an updated iPad expected to launch within the next few months, any frequency support changes would almost certainly just be folded into the new hardware.

T-Mobile may also find itself able to support new iPhone models if Apple launches both an iPhone 5S and a lower-cost "iPhone 5C" in the coming months. The carrier currently does offer the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, although official device availability is currently limited to areas where T-Mobile has been able to refarm its spectrum to offer 3G/4G coverage on frequencies supported by those devices. Apple would presumably build full support for T-Mobile's frequency bands into any new iPhone models it launches in the United States.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Looking to Expand Apple Product Offerings Beyond the iPhone

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2012
I just recently switched over to T-Mobile and have been very happy with my service (despite owning an iPhone 5 that was released prior to Apple's official partnership with T-Mobile). I am glad to hear they will continue their comity and hopefully I can refrain from ever going back to AT&T again.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Now give us access to the somewhat reasonable Business Line only international data roaming rates and I'll switch in a heartbeat.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Changed over from ATT to T Mobil about 4-5 months ago with the unlimited plan, the speed is just a little slower, but since I'm at home or the office with WIFI, I really don't mind the speed. But the saving is great.

Go T Mobile.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Legere is a breath of fresh air.
or a fart if your AT&T.

I like him, and really like t-mo. Hope they continue the strong insurgence.

Telcos all the same... Legere said this was his fault and will never happen again, BUT, the fact that it happened AT ALL, causes t-mo to be grouped with the whacko billings from Verizon or ATT. If not for media guy Jake Tapper at CNN... Do you think Legere would have heeded an e-mail from me and took action? We'll see... :rolleyes:

http://twitchy.com/2013/08/05/jake-...involving-wife-of-slain-soldier-action-taken/
/
/

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
T-mo finally stepping up...

I'm so glad that AT&T merger failed a couple of years back. Nice to have a reasonable alternative to AT&T/Verizon.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
T-Mobile on my iPad Mini is doing a good job on LTE considering I don't get LTE on AT&T.

Attachments

• photo-18.PNG
    photo-18.PNG
    255 KB · Views: 228

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
T-Mobile seems to have much lower pings than AT&T. Anyone else notice that? Even if AT&T has faster download speeds, T-Mobile will still load the page faster.

I just wish they'd get rid of all the EDGE towers and use that 1900mhz spectrum for HSPA+.

artcows

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Are people generally happy with T-Mobile's coverage/speed in New York?

I'm currently on a Verizon 4S and I want to wait to buy the 5S unlocked and take it over to T-Mobile's $35 a month prepaid plan.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Looks like t-mobile will be a good option to consider in couple years for me unless A&TT steps up their game pricing wise. But for now T-mobile has poor reception in the areas where i work and everyone keeps asking to borrow my phone to make a quick call lol

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Telcos all the same... Legere said this was his fault and will never happen again, BUT, the fact that it happened AT ALL, causes t-mo to be grouped with the whacko billings from Verizon or ATT. If not for media guy Jake Tapper at CNN... Do you think Legere would have heeded an e-mail from me and took action? We'll see... :rolleyes:

http://twitchy.com/2013/08/05/jake-...involving-wife-of-slain-soldier-action-taken/
/
/

To be fair, there is another side of such gaffs. And that is: people lie.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
What's the point of getting TMobile on an iPad? When you're traveling, you're actually going to want to be able to use data along major highways, etc, not be stuck in EDGE/GPRS hell, whereas VZW and AT&T have LTE up.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
What's the point of getting TMobile on an iPad? When you're traveling, you're actually going to want to be able to use data along major highways, etc, not be stuck in EDGE/GPRS hell, whereas VZW and AT&T have LTE up.

Dude, AutoUnion, please get off of T-Mobile articles.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Money talks.....

or put your money where you mouth is...?....Anyways, expand the offer of Apple products seems reasonable, starting with the obvious, the iPad....

:):apple:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
AT&T does not have reliable coverage everywhere. This is why I use both AT&T and T-Mobile. T-Mobile fills in where I can't get AT&T.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Love T-Mobile. Stuck with them through the years even though they didn't have the iPhone, but their service and prices are great. Can't wait to finally be able to get the iPhone; glad they're doing well.

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I just switched to T-Mobile from ATT. I'm paying essentially what I was on ATT on a family plan, but with over twice the data allotment and unlimited minutes. I'm still using my iPhone 4. I get 3G in downtown Nashville (where I live), but I lose it pretty quickly once I get farther out. I don't think we're on the official refarmed list yet. I'm looking forward to picking up a 5C when its available, so that T-Mobile coverage is more reliable when I travel.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Another happy T-Mobile user myself ....

I just switched about 2 months ago from AT&T. (I decided to resell my AT&T iPhone 5 and buy another one from T-Mobile so I'd get one tweaked to use their AWS frequencies. Since my AT&T one sold on eBay for nearly as much as I'm paying T-Mobile for the replacement, that worked out nicely.)

So far, my total monthly bill is around $72 and the service in the metro Washington DC area is pretty good. As others have noted, data speeds seem a bit slower than AT&T, but much faster than what I used to get with Sprint and plenty good enough for my purposes.

I do notice T-Mobile's signal tends to get really weak inside buildings. It works fine inside my townhouse (drops 1-2 bars of signal compared to standing outside but it's enough to work fine), but places like shopping malls or larger stores (Home Depot or Lowe's, Wal-Mart or Target ... those types of stores) will often kill the signal completely. I was warned that the frequency bands assigned to T-Mobile have relatively poor building penetration so that's to be expected.... I can live with it, though, if it means saving this much on my monthly bill and everything else working as well as it does.

Gulo

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Switched from AT&T to T-Mobile 3 months ago

I know I read a lot of forum posts and articles about it before I switched, but even after reading a bunch, I still was nervous about it. Just chiming in, in case anyone else is out there considering switching.

I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 (T-Mobile version) at an Apple store and purchased the $30 month unlimited text/data, 100 minutes. I was paying $102/month for a grandfathered unlimited data plan at AT&T.

I live in Seattle and will be moving to San Diego. I feel both places get "4G" similar to the places I got 3G with AT&T. It's not bad in the more rural areas I've been in. Contrary to what people told me I got a fine signal all around Wenatchee, for example. LTE is in plenty of places too, but I don't use it much because of how it drains the battery.

100 minutes is not a lot, so beware. Google voice counts towards your minutes, but you can use an app like Talkatone or use FaceTime to other iPhones, and it will only use your data. Talkatone has a bit of interference or whatever that makes it a little unusable sometimes though.

I got tired of paying so much money for AT&T and because that's probably the most important thing to me right now, the T-Mo situation works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.