Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AgileBits
is currently offering a significant discount on the iOS version of its secure password management app 1Password in order to encourage users who are still accessing the older version of the software to upgrade.

Because Dropbox is disabling support for an API that facilitates syncing in version 3 of 1Password, the Dropbox sync functionality of that app will cease to function as of September first. AgileBits discontinued its support for 1Password version 3 with the release of the fourth version of the software last December and will not be updating the app.

Instead, the company is offering a $10 discount on the new software, making it available for users at $7.99, which is more than half off. The sale will last from today until Friday, August 16.

Though Dropbox syncing will no longer function, users who cannot upgrade to the newest version of 1Password (which requires iOS 6) will be able to sync with computers on the same Wi-Fi network.

1Password is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $7.99 for a limited time. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 1Password Available for $10 Off Through Mid-August

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I am still using the older version due to them removing WiFi Sync in the latest version...

lilianeloirinha

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
This is so unfair! Shame on AgileBits. First off, I had to pay full price some time ago because of this issue. Suddenly they're offering a huge discount, I wonder why... OH THAT'S RIGHT! iOS 7 AND MAVERICKS ALREADY HAVE PASSWORD SYNCING!

To top it off, look at the pathetic Android version they have. Seriously, even if you don't care for Android, take a look at it on Google Play. Why? Because a company that puts out half-assed products on the market and applies discounts to some users but not others does not deserve attention.

AgileBits, get your act together, mmkay?

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/1password.jpg]Image​
AgileBits[/url] is currently offering a significant discount on the iOS version of its secure password management app 1Password in order to encourage users who are still accessing the older version of the software to upgrade.

Because Dropbox is disabling support for an API that facilitates syncing in version 3 of 1Password, the Dropbox sync functionality of that app will cease to function as of September first. AgileBits discontinued its support for 1Password version 3 with the release of the fourth version of the software last December and will not be updating the app.

Instead, the company is offering a $10 discount on the new software, making it available for users at $7.99, which is more than half off. The sale will last from today until Friday, August 16.

Though Dropbox syncing will no longer function, users who cannot upgrade to the newest version of 1Password (which requires iOS 6) will be able to sync with computers on the same Wi-Fi network.

1Password is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $7.99 for a limited time. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 1Password Available for $10 Off Through Mid-August

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Cool. I snagged the iOS version of 1Password a while ago when it was on discount. Combined with the ability to use it across Mac OS and Windows with Dropbox syncing, it's easily my most valuable tool.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I really hope older versions of the software won't lose Dropbox Sync. I rely on it! I have a Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Windows PC that I keep synced this way.

EDIT: Nevermind, now I get it. This only effects iOS, so if I have to buy a new copy then at least I'll only have to buy it for one platform. Still, this stinks.

mlac007

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
What about iPad 1 users???!!!

Ok, so what about us iPad 1 users that can't upgrade to iOS 6 and are forced to stay with 1Passsword 3?...and are not ready to buy a new iPad yet....:(

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
This is so unfair! Shame on AgileBits. First off, I had to pay full price some time ago because of this issue. Suddenly they're offering a huge discount, I wonder why... OH THAT'S RIGHT! iOS 7 AND MAVERICKS ALREADY HAVE PASSWORD SYNCING!

To top it off, look at the pathetic Android version they have. Seriously, even if you don't care for Android, take a look at it on Google Play. Why? Because a company that puts out half-assed products on the market and applies discounts to some users but not others does not deserve attention.

AgileBits, get your act together, mmkay?
Chill ok?
Companies has to have discount 365 days a year to make you happy?

phrk

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Germany
I think it's still overpriced. I use pwSafe for Mac and iOS with iCloud Sync. Don't see why I need to pay so much for a password app.

postman1

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
1Password was the most valuable app to me too. But since they removed WiFi Sync it is pretty much useless now.

They have some tight bond with DropBox and are pushing that solution hard. They told me they were removing WiFi syncing because it had serious issues, I questioned that with the following quote from their own material.

"Over the years, our team fell in love with the ease of Dropbox and stopped using Wi-Fi sync altogether. Since none of us used it, and in light of the feature’s problematic nature for many of our users, we decided not to include Wi-Fi syncing when we rewrote 1Password 4 from the ground up."

Their response to me was "Wi-Fi Syncing is gone, and not coming back for 1Password. I understand that is not the answer you want, but it is the answer.
"

Got that everybody?

I did notice some passing comment recently that since the NSA revelations, they are looking at ways to bring back local network sync. But their attitude has left a bitter taste. Yes. I did try their USB Sync app. No it is not the solution.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Sorry all I'm a bit dense today. Is Dropbox sync being removed from all versions or just 1Password 3?

Also I've been using Dashlane and I think I'm starting to like it better.

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Wait wait, so will my 1Password Dropbox syncing stop working on my Mac too?
Did you even read the linked blog post from Agilebits?

Dropbox will continue to work on these platforms:

1Password 3 for Mac
1Password for Windows
1Password 4 for iOS
1Password for Android
1Password for Windows Phone

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
When are they releasing 1Password 4 for the Mac? I'd like to have it on OS X too since I use it on my iPad and iPhone but I'm not going to pay for 3 when 4 is right around the corner, especially knowing that they do make you pay for new versions.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
They didn't add wifi sync and backup in 1password 4 plus you can't copy a keychain folder to iTunes file sharing in windows. Not everybody wants to sync their passwords to the cloud (which is turned ON by default).

But if you use ifunbox you can export your 1password data for backup and import it to a new device or after a restore etc so no need for the cloud and it's a work around for the iTunes file sharing in windows which doesn't work and the none existent wifi backup feature.

Last edited:

opq

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2004
From their blog post, it only affects 1PassWord 3 for iOS. Dropbox in 1Password 4 for iOS will work fine.

It ceases to amaze me how pathetic the argument for Wi-Fi sync removal from the latest iOS client was. It was the best solution for me and the sole reason as to why I haven't bought and won't buy 1Password for iOS 4. Even with this ask for people to use the Wi-Fi feature they RIDICULED previously, who knows if they'll bring it back, or if I'll have to fork out another $17.99 for 1Password for iOS version 5 or whatever?

In the world of $0.99 and $1.99 Apps, asking $17.99 for the iOS app and $49.99 for the Mac app is already a lot. Not questioning the value, just questioning how people are still on board with the "shut up and take my money" attitude

phrk

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Germany
When are they releasing 1Password 4 for the Mac? I'd like to have it on OS X too since I use it on my iPad and iPhone but I'm not going to pay for 3 when 4 is right around the corner, especially knowing that they do make you pay for new versions.

From the Agile Online Store:

Free Upgrade

Purchase 1Password for Mac or Windows today and receive a FREE upgrade to version 4 when it becomes available.

mlac007

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
1Password for Mac

According to Agile Bits website (once you click on the buy now button):

"Free Upgrade
Purchase 1Password for Mac or Windows today and receive a FREE upgrade to version 4 when it becomes available."

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This was my main password app, then I went with an Android device and discovered they don't truly support Android (their Android app is NOTHING close to the iOS app) so I had to move to LastPass. Too bad they don't support an OS with such a huge market share.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I switched to DataVault some time ago and never looked back!
My most valued app. Syncs with everything and even my PC.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Is this not going to be useless once iCloud Keychain comes out in September?

Not useless. 1Password will work with more sites than Safari will in the next version. 1Password have had specific bug fixes to work with authentication forms, I expect Safari will require the same.

Additionally, 1Password is multi-browser / multi platform, but iCloud keychain user / passwords will be Safari only.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Ok, so what about us iPad 1 users that can't upgrade to iOS 6 and are forced to stay with 1Passsword 3?...and are not ready to buy a new iPad yet....:(

Yes, exactly this. I sill have an iPad 1 that works just fine. Suddenly an app I paid for is going to lose its key functionality? I don't see anything in 1pw 4 that demands whatever minor changes iOS6 brought (maps and passbook!)

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Sorry all I'm a bit dense today. Is Dropbox sync being removed from all versions or just 1Password 3?

Also I've been using Dashlane and I think I'm starting to like it better.

Forget it, answered above while I was apparently taking 20 minutes to post....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.