Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be experiencing another problem with its systems today, as a number of MacRumors readers have reported they are unable to activate their new iPhones. Other reports are showing up on Twitter as the problems continue.

iphone_activation_down.jpg
An AT&T employee has told MacRumors that some Apple Retail Stores are sending customers to AT&T stores, but indicated that those locations are having similar activation issues.

There is no word yet on when users can expect the issue to be fully resolved, but a similar outage occurred two weeks ago.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone Activation Servers Again Experiencing Outage

grzechu51

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
Chicago
It's back

Just now I had to restore my iPhone 5. There was a problem, but when i restored it again i was able to activate my phone.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sometimes I wonder if Apple's servers are powered by a gerbil running on a wheel.

What Apple need to do is get a bigger, more powerful gerbil.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
What about iTunes Match? Mine is giving me nonstop errors saying it can't connect. Typical too, cause I want some songs synced over for work and I'm leaving in about 15 mins!

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Sometimes I wonder if Apple's servers are powered by a gerbil running on a wheel.

What Apple need to do is get a bigger, more powerful gerbil.

This is not directed to you sir .. But why is it a trend that EVERYONE thinks they know what apple needs ??

JSMencer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
So I was experiencing this problem last week, and I was on the phone with Apple for an hour, and att for an hour. Apple said it was a circuit in my phone that would not send out the activation signal. SO, I sold my phone cause I needed some money for a new helmet. I tried again monday night and it still didn't work. HMMM maybe it would have worked. Oh well I needed the cash.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Thats the most infuriating message ever, getting a shiny new iPhone and not being able to play with it, so you idly caress it and whispher sweet nothings to it instead, and tell it in great detail about all the things you're going to do to it once you get it activated.

I'm going to install apps on you... over and over again.... :cool:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Thats the most infuriating message ever, getting a shiny new iPhone and not being able to play with it, so you idly caress it and whispher sweet nothings to it instead, and tell it in great detail about all the things you're going to do to it once you get it activated.

I'm going to install apps on you... over and over again.... :cool:

…creepy :eek:

Apple's been having many outages recently with many of their services, They really should invest in more stable web infrastructure.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
this is why I hate the cloud

Back in the day ... we didn't have to 'activate' our phones. They just worked.

The ridiculous and annoying 7 layers of crap I have to go through, even when the Apple servers are working great, pisses me off.

Why does Apple have to 'activate' my damn phone anyway!?!?!? My service is with AT&T.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Ugh...that grey linen. So glad they've binned it.

Last edited:

Markc1024

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
I doubt anyone here even knows how Apples servers are architected nor the types of problems they face. As noted previously, most of the companies with a large internet presence are constantly under attack - it's a daily evolution for them.

dj95

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
I just had the same problem after restoring my iPhone 5 due to battery problems. Putting it into recovery mode and then another restore seemed to fix it.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
Thank christ, I thought my WiFi was ****ing around again, it worked so I think it's fine now, funny how it happened at the exact moment I actually needed to restore and activate my phone

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Ugh...that grey linen. So glad they've binned it.

----------

You can't be serious?

EVERY iPhone in existence has needed activation via Apple servers.

I think he was referring to pre-iPhone cellphones.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple may have been hacked yet again. Their network needs work.

Georgij

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I think their server engineers running around from one place to other. Since they have to fix the Developer service and now this

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
This is not directed to you sir .. But why is it a trend that EVERYONE thinks they know what apple needs ??

First, this is a rumor site, you it is natural for people to draw certain conclusions what Apple might be needing help with. There is nothing wrong with it.

Second, people here know what they need from Apple. One thing would be to expect Apple to have a backup solution for activations, so this doesn't happen this often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.