Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
the day Apple loses, is the day they start competing on these specs these guys do:

- Samsung (screen size)
- Nokia (megapixels)
- HTC (screen size, Beats)
- BB (keyboards)

who's the only one generating operating income? Samsung, because that's what their company is structured for.

1920x1200 HD display (323 ppi) vs
2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

Despite the iPad's higher resolution, the Nexus 7 is still better based on pixels-per-inch.

My question, is Apple in trouble here? They must do something this year, otherwise Apple will have allot of catching up to do next year.

Looking at this already, either-way, the next iPad mini must have more than 324 ppi at the very least. Something i doubt Apple can do.

Since, how i see it anyway, Apple bumps the resolution higher and higher with little concern over what *truly* makes a better display, and maybe could also be a reason why Apples not selling as many iPad's as they were previously.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
What did they "lose" exactly?

Last I checked they're the 2nd largest&valuable company in the world behind ExxonMobil and have more cash on hand than the US government. If that's "losing", where do I sign up? :D

Hi all

Google has recently released the new Nexus 7 2013, which in all, is better than iPad with Retina, (4th Gen.) in every way :-

You're surprised a 2013 product is better than another company's 2011 product?

Looking at this already, either-way, the next iPad mini must have more than 324 ppi at the very least. Something i doubt Apple can do.

You do realize the human eye can't even distinguish between pixels at that high a resolution and there's really no benefit of having anything over 300ppi unless you hold the thing an inch from your face?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I always think, if a phone or tablet is running its software smoothly, consistently and fast, does it really matter what spec it has inside? The iPhone and iPad only run one version of the software and in my opinion, they do it rather well.

I don't think hardware specs matter as much with Apple products as they do with Android simply because the OS is optimised for one specific device. Android is delivered across hundreds of different types of phones and tablets and performance varies considerably. It seems to be a case of hardware chasing software whereas Apple has a reasonable lifespan and you know it'll work. :)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I really hate the idea that in the tech industry we have to have "winners" and "losers" based on entirely seemingly arbitrary guidelines. Apple not doing X. THey are loosing. My question is "says who?" we don't have an objective arbitrator - heck, I dare say that there isn't a contest. The tech industry is not "Mad Max Thunder dome" where there can only be one.

Honestly, is there some kind of law that states only one company can be successful and that the minute they are no longer 'leading' they must bow out and go away forever? No, in fact the only time that is the case is when they are bankrupt which I postulate isn't going to happen to Apple given they are better experienced on keeping money to survive. They went though this before and are unlikely to let it happen again.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I'm sure this has already been said, but: IMO the Nexus can't win unless it doesn't run Android. Every Android tablet I've ever touched is garbage — and the problem isn't the hardware.

(And stay calm — I'm not blasting Android on phones. Just on tablets.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.