Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
So I have been waiting impatiently like the rest of you guys for the new mini's to come out. I said to myself unless I get a ridiculous deal I'm waiting since I already have an Ipad 3 (contemplating selling) but I love the form factor and smaller version for when surfing web, email in bed etc. The mini looks great and is listed as "works great just need extra money". I even have a paper trail sending him messages asking if there are any scratches on screen, dents, glass ever replaced etc. and he stated "all good". The black 16gb mini was listed for $275 includes cover and charger. He accepted my offer at 205 + 16 s&h coming to a total $221. I figured I wont lose alot on resell value if some new features come out on the new line of minis since i got it for a reasonable price. Also, was going to bring it to apple store to double check it over to make sure nothing was replaced, if so I'm covered under ebay buyers protection so i didnt see that as that big of a risk since I can open a claim and get my money back if it's not as described. What are ya thoughts? Did pull the trigger to early or is this great value for a mint condition mini?

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
Sounds like a good deal. You won't lose much if you do decide to sell.

Personally, like the iPad 2, I think the first gen Mini will be what a lot of people keep after they see the first reiteration with the retina screen. Might be thicker, hotter, have less battery, and might be even heavier. Just think of the iPad 3/4, it wasn't pleasant to use those after a while. Of course, I want retina just as much as anyone, and hope it isn't like this. You'll appreciate the form factor in daily use.

Also, there are quite a few rumours reporting a release towards more december/2014. So don't worry about it, just use it, enjoy it, and don't worry about upgrades :) - we won't know for sure when they will come.

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
Ok cool thank you for your thoughts!
Sounds like a good deal. You won't lose much if you do decide to sell.

Personally, like the iPad 2, I think the first gen Mini will be what a lot of people keep after they see the first reiteration with the retina screen. Might be thicker, hotter, have less battery, and might be even heavier. Just think of the iPad 3/4, it wasn't pleasant to use those after a while. Of course, I want retina just as much as anyone, and hope it isn't like this. You'll appreciate the form factor in daily use.

Also, there are quite a few rumours reporting a release towards more december/2014. So don't worry about it, just use it, enjoy it, and don't worry about upgrades :) - we won't know for sure when they will come.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
same boat

I recently got a good deal on a mini (not as good as yours, but mine was purchased from a store). I originally bought it for the kids to have one to play with so they wouldn't hog my iPad 3rd gen so much. But once i started using i really liked it! The form factor is so much easier to handle & the screen does not feel small or cramped at all!

I was almost convinced to give up my 3rd gen iPad for another mini in the home, but that beautiful retina screen keeps me from doing it. As much as i love the mini and use it alot, i keep going back my 3rd gen iPad because of how pretty & crisp the screen is! (battery life seems to be better on my full size iPad as well.)

If they do come out with a retina mini, i am sold!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I recently got a good deal on a mini (not as good as yours, but mine was purchased from a store). I originally bought it for the kids to have one to play with so they wouldn't hog my iPad 3rd gen so much. But once i started using i really liked it! The form factor is so much easier to handle & the screen does not feel small or cramped at all!

I was almost convinced to give up my 3rd gen iPad for another mini in the home, but that beautiful retina screen keeps me from doing it. As much as i love the mini and use it alot, i keep going back my 3rd gen iPad because of how pretty & crisp the screen is! (battery life seems to be better on my full size iPad as well.)

If they do come out with a retina mini, i am sold!

yep same - i just couldn't get used to the iPad Mini and had to go back to the Retina on my iPad 3.

i miss the form factor of the iPad Mini as it allowed you to hold it in 1 hand for long periods of time while reading digital magazine subscriptions and such. it's hard to even get through 1 news article with the iPad 3 holding it in 1 hand. the case i have helps though since it has a strap on the back. then i can usually get through a few articles. iPad Mini felt like a regular paperback book in comparison

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
when you buy something for yourself, it's always a good decision. be it a bar of chocolate, a newspaper, or a paper clip. once you have the item that you bought, it always gives you a feeling of satisfaction - and yes it is a good decision.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
when you buy something for yourself, it's always a good decision. be it a bar of chocolate, a newspaper, or a paper clip. once you have the item that you bought, it always gives you a feeling of satisfaction - and yes it is a good decision.
Truer words were never spoken. I would not excited over buying myself a paper clip however.

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
Update: So I received the mini On Saturday! Today I went into the apple store for them to double check everything (make sure screen wasn't replaced etc.) Everything checks out, it was purchased 5 months ago only as well so I have a while for warranty to be up still! I compared the text on full brightness from my mini and iPad 3 and honestly IMO I see barely any difference (text is slightly more blurry on the mini). The form factor, weight and overall look of it is so comfortable I'm 99% sure I'm going to sell my iPad 3 soon. There's a stand at my local shopping mall that will give me $250 for the 3 which I think is low. I'd be happy selling it with two cases and charger for $300-350. Maybe I'm bias not noticing the retina display because I uses a non retina 2010 MacBook Pro a lot so my eyes are just used to the display, but when retina screen is bright it actually bothers my eyes. Thoughts on anything please comment, everyone has given great feedback so far, thanks!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Update: So I received the mini On Saturday! Today I went into the apple store for them to double check everything (make sure screen wasn't replaced etc.) Everything checks out, it was purchased 5 months ago only as well so I have a while for warranty to be up still! I compared the text on full brightness from my mini and iPad 3 and honestly IMO I see barely any difference (text is slightly more blurry on the mini). The form factor, weight and overall look of it is so comfortable I'm 99% sure I'm going to sell my iPad 3 soon. There's a stand at my local shopping mall that will give me $250 for the 3 which I think is low. I'd be happy selling it with two cases and charger for $300-350. Maybe I'm bias not noticing the retina display because I uses a non retina 2010 MacBook Pro a lot so my eyes are just used to the display, but when retina screen is bright it actually bothers my eyes. Thoughts on anything please comment, everyone has given great feedback so far, thanks!
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Buying my Mini was one of the best decisions that I have made in a few years. Just wish I would have bought it sooner.

:)

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Buying my Mini was one of the best decisions that I have made in a few years. Just wish I would have bought it sooner.

:)

Thank you! Also, my thought process is if something really mind blowing comes out with an iPad 5 or mini 2 selling the 3 now gives me value that will only go down as time goes on and getting the mini at $205 leaves me room to re sell it without taking a big loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.