Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

roku.jpg
Roku has updated its iOS app to version 2.3.0, allowing users to broadcast videos from their iPhones to their Roku players. Previously, the app limited its "Play on Roku" sharing, which works somewhat similarly to Apple's AirPlay, to photos and music.

The app's new video sharing capability only works with video that was captured using the iPhone and saved to the photo library; it does not work with other video content stored on the phone. Shareable videos can be accessed by tapping on the "Play on Roku" button and selecting content from the newly included video menu.

Streaming video works with multiple versions of the Roku, including Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku HD, Roku LT, and the Roku Streaming Stick.

Roku is a free app for the iPhone that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Roku for iOS Updated with iPhone to TV Video Streaming

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Well, Twonky still works, I think. Less limited. I almost never do this, though. Unless I want to play with the kids' minds.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Well, Twonky still works, I think. Less limited. I almost never do this, though. Unless I want to play with the kids' minds.

And Twonky works with first gen, why won't this app work with first gen? :mad:

heutusops

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2013
praise the lord, the most awaited feature has arrived, i always missed this feature, it's gonna be great now.

now, let's check this out...

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
This was the one feature I felt was "missing" from the Roku. Thanks, guys! My Roku XDs and Roku 2XD appreciate it.

Interesting, this just makes the Roku take even more time away from my Apple tv.

praise the lord, the most awaited feature has arrived, i always missed this feature, it's gonna be great now.

now, let's check this out...

Please report back. I've been wanting a Roku for awhile but the lack of this feature has been holding me back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.